BOX1

Talon Spare tire carrier

C

CincyCuda68

Sep 27, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon R
Although a bit cheesy, I'd just run a rope from the top of the ROPS behind the driver's head to the JEI so it couldn't open all the way. Another member recently added a gas strut to help with the lifting but I'm not sure if or where it stops the opened angle.
I’ll probably weld stops on the hinges and re powder it down the road, I think it will fit in my oven!

Reactions: CID
B

Backfar

Dec 5, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon X
I just wish it had a stop in it so it didn’t open all the way that the tire sits on the fender.
Mine doesn't open all the way to the point that the tire hits the fender... maybe try adjusting the hinges towards the inside of the bed more?

C

CincyCuda68

Sep 27, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon R
Mine doesn't open all the way to the point that the tire hits the fender... maybe try adjusting the hinges towards the inside of the bed more?
Hmmm reverse the hinges to go under instead of over. Good idea

F5BB7CA9 F134 41A4 9AD2 37DB0320AA99

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I looked at this system, I like the concept but don't like how it restricts rear visibility
On a SXS with restricted rear visibility as it is. It is a nice product though.

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I went with the Tusk. Here are a couple pics. 32” tire. Rocks and trails RZR in the pic has 30” for comparison. The mount can be adjusted to set the tire flat or higher by 2-3” for more cargo clearance but I like it as low as possible and angled. So far my stuff fits fine.
C4FCCA52 B64B 4597 9E67 EC9937F7EAB7
D4E1FEA9 C5BB 4E42 B00E D00C7BD9B5A1
82DD64E6 6247 482A B147 CEFCB308652D
63CAAB52 13C0 49AF BF0C 31F61C0A1CDB

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
How much clearance does it leave below the tire and or lowest bar? Looking to keep my current box and this may work but it may hit the lid? THANK YOU

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Reactions: 906UP
SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
How much clearance does it leave below the tire and or lowest bar? Looking to keep my current box and this may work but it may hit the lid? THANK YOU
Sure thing, let me know if you need more measurements.
From the lower bar on the mount it is 19” vertically to the bed. The bar is 17” horizontally from the seam behind the air box cover to the bar. Not the cover but the full length seam behind it. There is 24” from the lowest point on the tire vertically to the bed. If the tire was adjusted flat and all the way up it would allow 2” additional clearance..

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I like this because it allows better access to whatever storage box/system you might have. But I don't see what keeps the tire from rotating backwards in rough riding. Is that a problem, has the weight of the tire caused the vertical piece to rotate?
I looked at the Factory UTV mount as well and decided to go with the Tusk as it is a lot beefier. It also lets me keep the tire a little lower and I plan to mount rear lights on the crossbar. With a 32” spare I was concerned about a single attachment that was only clamped. The Tusk also has 4 studs to secure the wheel and is adjustable for different offsets. I’m sure the Factory UTV mount works well and the selling point is it offers more bed clearance and rear view visibility but the single post and overall height was a concern for me.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I like this because it allows better access to whatever storage box/system you might have. But I don't see what keeps the tire from rotating backwards in rough riding. Is that a problem, has the weight of the tire caused the vertical piece to rotate?
I ordered the Factory UTV version because of the extra bed access it allows, still waiting for it to show up.

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
As an FYI if you order the Tusk mount in the kit form that comes with a jack and jack mount the clamp is sized for the jack to mount to the spare tire carrier cross bar. This would reduce rear view visibility quite a bit more. I think it’s 1 3/4” not a 2” one for the ROPS bar. If you order the jack and mount for the Talon separately it comes with a 2” clamp. RMATV has not been very helpful in swapping it out for me. I only ordered it as a kit to save a few bucks by bundling it and assumed it was the same as purchasing the items individually. I now need to purchase another clamp so I can mount the jack on the passenger side ROPS bar.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Sure thing, let me know if you need more measurements.
From the lower bar on the mount it is 19” vertically to the bed. The bar is 17” horizontally from the seam behind the air box cover to the bar. Not the cover but the full length seam behind it. There is 24” from the lowest point on the tire vertically to the bed. If the tire was adjusted flat and all the way up it would allow 2” additional clearance..
THANK YOU - that will help. Need to make some measurement tonight. I appreciate you taking the time!

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Help finding a spare tire carrier I swear I saw here and now I can't find it. There's little doubt that the JEI and Tusk are the most structurally sound but both limit access to my TSC storage box if not eliminate it completely. The JEI swings open but I'm not 20 anymore, getting that thing open would be a struggle at best.

So I'm looking for something with as much be clearance as possible, like this one by Factory UTV, with the addition of the brace to the ROPS I've added here in red. I know I saw one. It's my concern that this one will tend to let the tire rotate, forward or backward, when the going gets rough, maybe not but the additional brace would prevent that entirely.

Photo thanks to Factory UTV.

NemoDeven

NemoDeven

Jul 24, 2018
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Help finding a spare tire carrier I swear I saw here and now I can't find it. There's little doubt that the JEI and Tusk are the most structurally sound but both limit access to my TSC storage box if not eliminate it completely. The JEI swings open but I'm not 20 anymore, getting that thing open would be a struggle at best.

So I'm looking for something with as much be clearance as possible, like this one by Factory UTV, with the addition of the brace to the ROPS I've added here in red. I know I saw one. It's my concern that this one will tend to let the tire rotate, forward or backward, when the going gets rough, maybe not but the additional brace would prevent that entirely.

Photo thanks to Factory UTV.
View attachment 187960
This mount is rock solid and mine has not moved a millimeter. After 300 miles of trails easy and extreme or spirited driving.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
This mount is rock solid and mine has not moved a millimeter. After 300 miles of trails easy and extreme or spirited driving.
Thanks Nemo, that's good news. If one with the additional brace was only in my imagination, I'll get the Factory UTV piece and not worry about it anymore.

NemoDeven

NemoDeven

Jul 24, 2018
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Thanks Nemo, that's good news. If one with the additional brace was only in my imagination, I'll get the Factory UTV piece and not worry about it anymore.
Be careful when mounting to cage it is easy to scratch the cage. So have someone help.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Be careful when mounting to cage it is easy to scratch the cage. So have someone help.
Thanks. 👍 Another question - since our cages taper in to the taillights, there's only one specific location it will fit - I can't move it up or down an inch or two?

NemoDeven

NemoDeven

Jul 24, 2018
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Thanks. 👍 Another question - since our cages taper in to the taillights, there's only one specific location it will fit - I can't move it up or down an inch or two?
Very specific due to very precise tight fit.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
As I thought. Not a problem, just checking my geometry skills - thanks again.

Reactions: SpeedBuggy
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!