Talon Spare tire carrier

Mudd-man1000

Mudd-man1000

Aug 17, 2019
Morgan co
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. Talon R
I have the same one. Nemo is right.mine hasn’t moved at all. It has light or whip mounts attached. Love it

Reactions: CID
SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Thanks Nemo, that's good news. If one with the additional brace was only in my imagination, I'll get the Factory UTV piece and not worry about it anymore.
I don't recall seeing the one with the middle brace to the roof crossbar. I looked at the Factory UTV mount seriously before going with the Tusk. My concern was the height and a single clamp on a 32" tire. The Factory UTV mount is also specific to your wheel offset. A stock Honda Talon Factory UTV spare tire mount is set for a factory front wheel at 6+1 I think. I run 5+2 now with a 10" tire and will have 4+3 & 4+4 for sand. I liked that the Tusk will adjust to the different offsets and tire profiles while also allowing for some tilt that just looks cooler. it does take away from loading tall items in the bed space but it is a worthwhile trade-off for me to have the tire lower and not sticking up over the roof. I can fit my recovery/ repair dry bag, Yeti Roadie 20 and a 16" Stihl and a helmet with room to spare. Either way, you go it's better to have a spare and not need it than to need one and not have it. This one doesn't use any bed space at all. Honda Talon 1000 Bed Extender spare tire mount Tailgate | eBay

Mudd-man1000

Mudd-man1000

Aug 17, 2019
Morgan co
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. Talon R
FiyThat Mount does not come with the Lugnuts

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R

At first I thought that was a good option for the price but after clicking on the "Read full description" it says the add-on spare tire carrier option isn't currently available.

JEI Offroad bed extender. A must have for your Talon. Being Honda guys ourselves, we saw the need for this extender on the Talons. Just like the Pioneer 1000-5 its a much needed part. We modeled this directly off of the Pioneer extender. Several options and colors available. Standard is Gloss Black unless otherwise specified. Spare tire mount and Rotopax fuel cans also other options, however not included at this price.

SPARE TIRE MOUNT OPTION NOT CURRENTLY AVAILABLE. IT WILL BE AVAILABLE AGAIN SOON.

roversync

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I don't recall seeing the one with the middle brace to the roof crossbar. I looked at the Factory UTV mount seriously before going with the Tusk. My concern was the height and a single clamp on a 32" tire. The Factory UTV mount is also specific to your wheel offset. A stock Honda Talon Factory UTV spare tire mount is set for a factory front wheel at 6+1 I think. I run 5+2 now with a 10" tire and will have 4+3 & 4+4 for sand. I liked that the Tusk will adjust to the different offsets and tire profiles while also allowing for some tilt that just looks cooler. it does take away from loading tall items in the bed space but it is a worthwhile trade-off for me to have the tire lower and not sticking up over the roof. I can fit my recovery/ repair dry bag, Yeti Roadie 20 and a 16" Stihl and a helmet with room to spare. Either way, you go it's better to have a spare and not need it than to need one and not have it. This one doesn't use any bed space at all. Honda Talon 1000 Bed Extender spare tire mount Tailgate | eBay
It didn't occur to me that the Factory UTV mount would be tire/rim specific but it makes sense. I'll be using a stock front wheel/tire combo as a spare for the foreseeable future since I've located a rim thanks to @Lil_Steve .

Reactions: Lil_Steve
SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
At first I thought that was a good option for the price but after clicking on the "Read full description" it says the add-on spare tire carrier option isn't currently available.

JEI Offroad bed extender. A must have for your Talon. Being Honda guys ourselves, we saw the need for this extender on the Talons. Just like the Pioneer 1000-5 its a much needed part. We modeled this directly off of the Pioneer extender. Several options and colors available. Standard is Gloss Black unless otherwise specified. Spare tire mount and Rotopax fuel cans also other options, however not included at this price.

SPARE TIRE MOUNT OPTION NOT CURRENTLY AVAILABLE. IT WILL BE AVAILABLE AGAIN SOON.

roversync
good catch.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks Mudd-man. I have a similar storage box and your second photo shows I'll have easy access. What rim and tire is that? If not the stock front, did you have to specify something different or is that off the shelf?

Mudd-man1000

Mudd-man1000

Aug 17, 2019
Morgan co
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. Talon R
You will need the aftermarket lugs that are smaller for it

FB148F41 C2DC 47B8 9EA4 252DD1C5D53A ED7191F0 7F0C 4778 A803 9E046C86C0F4

Mudd-man1000

Mudd-man1000

Aug 17, 2019
Morgan co
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. Talon R
It’s not the same tire and rim in this picture but what they sent works

Mudd-man1000

Mudd-man1000

Aug 17, 2019
Morgan co
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. Talon R
I used turn bucked to attach the box Straps kept breaking. And it’s easy to remove

Mudd-man1000

Mudd-man1000

Aug 17, 2019
Morgan co
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. Talon R
Got my SATV 1/2” skid on last night. Rock sliders on last Saturday. Guess I’m done till I break something

Reactions: TripleB
Kevinka1977

Kevinka1977

Dec 31, 2018
Washington
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. Talon X
I haven’t noticed any difference with the rear spare up high. Still playing with the suspension adjustments though. I am running 32’s with matching spare.

Reactions: Bigblue1
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Did you notice any difference with the added weight up high? Are you running larger tires and a stock tire? I run 32's but was thinking about using a stock for a spare and would think it would be okay to get it back to the truck.
@Lil_Steve tried that and it set a code 'somewhere'. Hopefully he'll add the details. He's also running 32's and added another 32 to a stock rim for a spare.

Steve offered me his damaged wheel to use as my spare but it's in Arizona and I'm 'trapped' in Colorado for the time being. :( I'm all dressed up and nowhere to go. 😭

My Factory UTV carrier -
I m6tmszv L

The TSC 32" storage box clears easily. I copied TerryH's install, all the details and video are in his build thread.
I vZ99P69 L

Last edited:
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Did you notice any difference with the added weight up high? Are you running larger tires and a stock tire? I run 32's but was thinking about using a stock for a spare and would think it would be okay to get it back to the truck.

@Lil_Steve tried that and it set a code 'somewhere'. Hopefully he'll add the details. He's also running 32's and added another 32 to a stock rim for a spare.

I had damaged a front wheel and tire and tried to prepare for my next ride by mounting 32's up front with the stock rears. As @CID mentioned, when I ran it around the block, it triggered the I-4WD light because of the difference in wheel speed between the front and the rear. The light didn't go off after a 50 mile ride, it had to be reset following a specific method outlined in the service manual. I now run a 32 mounted to a stock front wheel as a spare.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!