Talon TerryH's 1000 X build.....

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
BEAUTIFUL!!! The truck too. I have the same one. Does yours have the high output motor and Aisin transmission....? 😎

Thanks! Ours is the regular 6.7 turbo and the 68RFE. We've been pulling our race trailer with Talon and it does amazing. That combo is approx. 7klbs. feel certain the Ram will do fine with the toyhauler. It should be here any day.

I've been doing a bunch of upgrades on the truck in the meantime. Changed out the 180k mile sandblasted headlights and grille, did the black out between the side glasses on the doors, removed the vent visors, tinted front glass and did the eyebrow on the windshield. Also upgraded to the RA4 8.4" screen radio with Nav along with the automatic temperature controls and did the Katzkin leather interior kit. I know, I know, I can't leave anything alone. lol...

IMG 4458 2
IMG 4462 2
IMG 4448
IMG 4456 2
IMG 4451
IMG 4453 2

• Love
Reactions: Mopower58 and CID
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thanks! Ours is the regular 6.7 turbo and the 68RFE. We've been pulling our race trailer with Talon and it does amazing. That combo is approx. 7klbs. feel certain the Ram will do fine with the toyhauler. It should be here any day.
Oh yeah, you’ll be fine with those loads. I had to do the HO motor and trans to be able to move my dozer legally. I think yours is rated to pull 21-24K so you’re golden. What a fantastic trailer! Trucks beautiful as well. Nice custom work!!!

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
Oh yeah, you’ll be fine with those loads. I had to do the HO motor and trans to be able to move my dozer legally. I think yours is rated to pull 21-24K so you’re golden. What a fantastic trailer! Trucks beautiful as well. Nice custom work!!!

Thanks! The truck is rated for 18,660 lbs. More than we will ever have behind it I'm sure. It has the auto level which is nice. Also has the puck system just in case we decide to go with a 5th wheel.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thanks! The truck is rated for 18,660 lbs. More than we will ever have behind it I'm sure. It has the auto level which is nice. Also has the puck system just in case we decide to go with a 5th wheel.
Very nice! I have the puck in my super duty Ford. A breeze to get the 5th wheel in and out...

Reactions: TerryH
TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
Very nice! I have the puck in my super duty Ford. A breeze to get the 5th wheel in and out...

Kinda doubt we would move to a 5th wheel. We will be boondocking much of the time in places that we'll have to be really careful with the current toyhauler at 12'1" tall but I've learned to never say never.

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Way to go Terry H....😎

advertisement
lowranger

lowranger

Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2020
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X
Hey Terry .... first off, your Talon looks awesome, and thank you for all your build threads and videos.
Have you ever thought of adding a spare tire carrier in the rear receiver hitch for those long day trips? I don't want to carry a spare tire with the added weight with me all the time for the short day trips. I was thinking about getting one and modifying it to meet my needs, where it tucks in close to the rear of the Talon as not to effect the departure angle. Just slide it into the receiver for those long trips. I have already fabricated a rack between the bars in the rear coming off the roll bar where they usually mount a spare tire. Thoughts?

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I've been doing a bunch of upgrades on the truck in the meantime. Changed out the 180k mile sandblasted headlights and grille, did the black out between the side glasses on the doors, removed the vent visors, tinted front glass and did the eyebrow on the windshield. Also upgraded to the RA4 8.4" screen radio with Nav along with the automatic temperature controls and did the Katzkin leather interior kit. I know, I know, I can't leave anything alone. lol...

View attachment 238369View attachment 238370View attachment 238371View attachment 238372View attachment 238373View attachment 238374,
Very nice!

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
Hey Terry .... first off, your Talon looks awesome, and thank you for all your build threads and videos.
Have you ever thought of adding a spare tire carrier in the rear receiver hitch for those long day trips? I don't want to carry a spare tire with the added weight with me all the time for the short day trips. I was thinking about getting one and modifying it to meet my needs, where it tucks in close to the rear of the Talon as not to effect the departure angle. Just slide it into the receiver for those long trips. I have already fabricated a rack between the bars in the rear coming off the roll bar where they usually mount a spare tire. Thoughts?

Thanks! I have considered the spare tire receiver mount but have never followed thru with doing it yet.

lowranger

lowranger

Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2020
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X
Terry, I noticed you had an ExE shift gate on your Talon. Did you do a video on that? How do you like it?

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
Terry, I noticed you had an ExE shift gate on your Talon. Did you do a video on that? How do you like it?

I did not do a video on the shift gate. Sorry. I'm very pleased with the EXE gate. Gives a little more room for the low gear position. Very nice piece.

Reactions: Smitty335
Moab_Marty

Moab_Marty

Jul 12, 2019
Moab + Western CO
Ownership

1. Talon R
I did not do a video on the shift gate. Sorry. I'm very pleased with the EXE gate. Gives a little more room for the low gear position. Very nice piece.

Did you find that the EXE shift gate helped with the Rev, High, Low engaging better than stock ?

I'm Referring to lack of full engagement of Sub Trans gear and preventing the awful crash.clunk grind I get from time to time shifting.

Been enjoying your posts and videos Terry.

Last edited:
TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
Did you find that the EXE shift gate helped with the Rev, High, Low engaging better than stock ?

I'm Referring to lack of full engagement of Sub Trans gear and preventing the awful crash.clunk grind I get from time to time shifting.

Yes. The have elongated the low gear position in the slot. Much more positive feel to the engagement. No issues at all after the install.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R

I didn't write this down, so forgive the incomplete information - I 'think' it's Honda HP4 oil with Moly that has been working well in the sub transmission for several owners. Don't use this in the engine, sub trans only. You want to learn to NOT let the grinding happen, it's permanent and progressive damage happening every time it does. Any time I shift, I make sure the dash shows H, L or R and not a dash - . I've also started shifting into Low at a SLOW roll, this helps the shift dogs align allowing a full engaged shift. I try to avoid using Low before it's warmed up if possible. My Talon has ground into Low twice, once a chilly morning at 9000 feet but another time it was 80* at the trailhead, so not really all that cold. The link in my sig shows shift dogs in the first post if you aren't familiar with how they work (same as a motorcycle). If you've owned a motorcycle, you know there are times it won't shift when stopped and you have to rock the bike so it will, the DCT is the same way but it's hard to rock a SxS and why I'll shift when rolling (SLOWLY). It also helps to have your foot off the brake when shifting.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!