P1000 Thinking of switching to RZR 900

J

JTW

I used to race 2hr hair scrambles on Outlanders and renegades. They took a beating and I could race a full season on the same belt. The only problem i ever had was hitting whoops at over 30mph i twisted the drive shaft in half. Now put that same machine in a mud hole where the tires won't turn and you'll blow the belt in an instant.

I did hear that some of the high end Mavericks were having trouble with belts. They just have more power than the belt can handle. I knew I would be towing and hauling loads. 2 things that are hard on a belt, so I went with the 6 speed Honda.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Glad you did!

Reactions: Caper
L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
GM's 6.0 motor is a runner for sure. Not all that great on fuel, but pretty strong!

For a minute there, I thought you were talking about the Ford 6.0 ... as in diesel. I had an 03 SD with the 6.0. One of the best trucks I ever had.

I have an early 03 6.0 with 300,000 miles with only 1 breakdown, blown radiator top cap (made of plastic) at about 225,000 mile. Replaced the radiator with an all aluminum one from Bulletproof, One of the best trucks I’ve ever had.

That was my 4th Ford diesel, one 6.9, two 7.3 and the 6.0 all of which went over 250,000 miles before I got rid of them.

Just bought a new 17 F350 6.7 about two months ago, so trailered the 03 to California to give to my son. Still a good truck with at least 200,000 more miles left on it. Stroll runs like the day i bought it.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hi Choogsbro. I’ve never driven in a Yamaha. All I know is the RZR blew a belt hauling wood and the Renegade, god knows, he can be hard on toys. But I’ll take shaft drive any day over a belt. I don’t want to be 100 miles from nowhere stuck in deep mud worrying about my rubber band breaking because it’s hard to turn the tires. Thank god for 4000 lb Warn winch. Haha. I do know someone with a Yamaha, I will talk to him to get his reaction. And like I said just stirring the pot with the rubber band comments. Haha
Caper
Belt drives will handle at least as much stupidity as Honda's DCT clutch. The only difference is if you burn up a belt, you can replace one for about $100.00 in 15 minutes on the trail with nothing more than a screwdriver. Burn a Honda clutch? You're done for the next two weeks and next month's rent!

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
The Yamaha uses a centrifugal clutch to maintain belt tension and some other technical mumbo jumbo which basically boils down to the clutch takes care of what would otherwise be a slipping belt.
You mean like a snowmobile ? But with a tensioner ? One of my brothers has a Yamaha Big Bear from 1999. That thing has gone through hell and back on shaft drive. Just straighten things back out and go again. Curious how many belts someone would go through in 19 hard years of driving. I love my Honda Pioneer 500. And I said a friend has a Yamaha thee seater. I’ll go out with him sometime to compare the two. He is a bit wider so in not sure he can make it through some of the trails and little bridges we go. We’ll see I guess. I know he’ll come through just to make a point. Haha. Thanks for the feedback. I figured it would get people talking. Especially about the rubber band comment. Haha. Stir the pot. A little. Mostly with my brothers. Haha. Thanks again PistonHonda.
Caper

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You mean like a snowmobile ? But with a tensioner ? One of my brothers has a Yamaha Big Bear from 1999. That thing has gone through hell and back on shaft drive. Just straighten things back out and go again. Curious how many belts someone would go through in 19 hard years of driving. I love my Honda Pioneer 500. And I said a friend has a Yamaha thee seater. I’ll go out with him sometime to compare the two. He is a bit wider so in not sure he can make it through some of the trails and little bridges we go. We’ll see I guess. I know he’ll come through just to make a point. Haha. Thanks for the feedback. I figured it would get people talking. Especially about the rubber band comment. Haha. Stir the pot. A little. Mostly with my brothers. Haha. Thanks again PistonHonda.
Caper
Is that big bear like the 250 bear tracker with the Dual clutch transmission because I've got an 01 bear tracker that has also been through hell and back if I can't tear it up or my kids I know it's good

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Caper
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Belt drives will handle at least as much stupidity as Honda's DCT clutch. The only difference is if you burn up a belt, you can replace one for about $100.00 in 15 minutes on the trail with nothing more than a screwdriver. Burn a Honda clutch? You're done for the next two weeks and next month's rent!
Hi 0860silverado. Before the Pioneer I've only owned shaft drive. A '91 Kawasaki that couldn't be killed, my nephew owners it now and is still going strong. My brother has a Yamaha Big Bear from '99 and that bike has had a hard life a and both bikes have never had anything besides brakes and oil changes. Besides straighten some bent things. Haha. My neighbor here , his son has a Polaris that got stuck on a rock in the river by his camp, and the bike stopped moving. He had to get towed out and let the water drain. It's crap like that why I went Honda instead of belts. Is taken the Pioneer 500 through places my brother wouldn't take his RZR. And no problems yet. Knock wood. I looked at a lot of bikes before I bought the Pioneer and everything is belt, or rubber band , like I say to my brothers,and I just couldn't do it. I love my shaft drive Pioneer. Haha. All in good fun.
Caper

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Is that big bear like the 250 bear tracker with the Dual clutch transmission because I've got an 01 bear tracker that has also been through hell and back if I can't tear it up or my kids I know it's good

Hi BWAF. It's a 300 special edition '99. Yamaha Big Bear. I've driven it a lot over the years, the one thing I never liked is that it's always in four wheel drive. No two wheel mode, so in always wants to go straight. Haha . But a hell of a good bike. I hope the Pioneer works as good as long. Thanks
Caper

Reactions: BWAF
D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Exactly this. And I’m convinced that most of these people that have these belt problems aren’t using low range when they should be. Just because the machine has the power in high range to pull a load or spin the tires in mud doesn’t mean you should do it. Use high and low at the proper times and your belt should last for 1000s of miles in my experience. Yes, even on a Polaris.
That being said, I drive my Pioneer the exact same way I drive my Sportsman and (knock on wood) I haven’t had any transmission/belt/clutch/shifting issues with either of them. I use high when cruising under low/no load above 10 mph. I use low for pulling loads, plowing, mud, rough trails, under 10 mph.

D

Deleted member 3748

Caper

Kinda like that, but with an extra clutch. Of course, I haven't worked the parts counter since the early 90s and I haven't seen a snowmobile clutch since then... maybe it is the same. :) I also don't have a Yamaha SxS but I've been researching them since the release of the 850 Wolverine.

There is a centrifugal clutch behind the pulley that slips instead of the belt slipping... oops I mean rubber band. :D

Capture

Reactions: BWAF and Caper
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Exactly this. And I’m convinced that most of these people that have these belt problems aren’t using low range when they should be. Just because the machine has the power in high range to pull a load or spin the tires in mud doesn’t mean you should do it. Use high and low at the proper times and your belt should last for 1000s of miles in my experience. Yes, even on a Polaris.
That being said, I drive my Pioneer the exact same way I drive my Sportsman and (knock on wood) I haven’t had any transmission/belt/clutch/shifting issues with either of them. I use high when cruising under low/no load above 10 mph. I use low for pulling loads, plowing, mud, rough trails, under 10 mph.
Hi dilligaff82. Yeah my brother with the RZR does the same but he uses the Big Bear for plowing. It was a sportsman that my neighbors kid got stuck in the river , a 500 I think. Did you ever have it in deep water for any length of time and had no problems with water getting in. The other brother with the Can-Am I guess he blew his moving rocks for the trail association. Like you say maybe not in low, but he’s been driving bikes a long time. I’ll ask him. Good to get in the discussion. Got a lot of feedback and likes with the rubber band comment. Haha. All good, Have a great summer.
Caper

Reactions: BWAF
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Kinda like that, but with an extra clutch. Of course, I haven't worked the parts counter since the early 90s and I haven't seen a snowmobile clutch since then... maybe it is the same. :) I also don't have a Yamaha SxS but I've been researching them since the release of the 850 Wolverine.

There is a centrifugal clutch behind the pulley that slips instead of the belt slipping... oops I mean rubber band. :D

View attachment 80759
It looks like the old Honda Odesie. I know that’s not spelled right. My wife’s not home. Haha. But one of my brothers had one years ago and that’s what it looked like. As it spins the belt is squeezed and goes higher to get more speed. So Honda had it years ago and stopped. A nephew still has it. It works great, except in water. Haha . Some of the guys don’t like the rubber band comment. All in good fun. I say that to my brothers. To bug them. I guess their not the only ones. Haha.
Caper

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Kinda...lol. The belt on our Polaris Sportsman takes me an hour, I can do clutches in 20 min with a hex and a 10mm. As long as it’s clean, done it in well under hour muddy on the trail but yes that’s a pita

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500

Kinda...lol. The belt on our Polaris Sportsman takes me an hour, I can do clutches in 20 min with a hex and a 10mm. As long as it’s clean, done it in well under hour muddy on the trail but yes that’s a pita
Thanks CumminsPusher for the post. I didn’t think I’d stir it up this much. But all in fun. Have a good day.
Caper

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Good to know it's possible to do that quickly! I'll admit, before I changed my clutches on my Pol Ranger, I was scared of them from reading all the bickering about them. When I actually did the work myself I was like..."That's it? Nothin' to it!" Hopefully my Honda clutches will prove to be less of an ordeal than I'm imagining!!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Good to know it's possible to do that quickly! I'll admit, before I changed my clutches on my Pol Ranger, I was scared of them from reading all the bickering about them. When I actually did the work myself I was like..."That's it? Nothin' to it!" Hopefully my Honda clutches will prove to be less of an ordeal than I'm imagining!!
Same here once you do them it’s not too bad you just have to be methodical. It is harder then a belt and bringing clutches and oil along for the ride sucks, I had to do that in the last machine. But it is doable.
That machine was built by scab Polaris workers when Honda guys were on strike or some crap.

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Hopefully we’ll never have to change them. Like the Big Bear. Haha.
Caper

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Same here once you do them it’s not too bad you just have to be methodical. It is harder then a belt and bringing clutches and oil along for the ride sucks, I had to do that in the last machine. But it is doable.
That machine was built by scab Polaris workers when Honda guys were on strike or some crap.

If you have had practice at it I agree it’s not to hard on a stock machine!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!