Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I bet it does. I changed my post to say some cars too. I really don't know what every manufacturer does. Our Subaru has a cvt and so far so good.
Subaru is in a league of it's own, that's what I want to get my wife. My sister went to work for a Subaru dealership as office manager, after being at a GM dealership for 25 years. She's says it so refreshing not to deal with all the games the other dealership played with customers. She told me that all Subaru deals are on the straight up, all salespersons are paid per car sales, not how much they could screw the customer out of.

Reactions: popeye and Caper
Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Actually, many mfgs have followed Yamaha and started using the constant tension CVT, esp on more utility oriented machines. Suzuki, A/C, Kawi...
I believe the Can Am defender also uses this style. Only popo seems to refuse to admit it's a better way.
The sport stuff retains the "loose" style because it is a bit easier to tune for large tires, etc. No need to pull the wet clutch to change weights.
Weights are in the primary sheave. Slugs are in the wet clutch.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
J

jmcampbell54

Feb 3, 2018
Texas
Subaru is in a league of it's own, that's what I want to get my wife. My sister went to work for a Subaru dealership as office manager, after being at a GM dealership for 25 years. She's says it so refreshing not to deal with all the games the other dealership played with customers. She told me that all Subaru deals are on the straight up, all salespersons are paid per car sales, not how much they could screw the customer out of.

That is all depending on the Dealer principle/owner and how they run their business. There are some s***esters out there.

Good on her to find a good one.

Most cvt trans in vehicles are built by suppliers to the manufacturers (car company) specifications. The real issue to the problem imo in the end user not knowing how to drive a cvt equipped cars. “Most” act like a rocket ship is strapped to their but and slam the gas pedal down and come in complaining that the car/suv will not shift while driving.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
IMG 1499

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
And what do we have here? Remember the old Ya Zoo manual CVT, the steel horizontal wheel and the vertical rubber wheel wheel that you moved inside to outside of the steel wheel to adjust speed, pretty cleaver!

Last edited:
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
I agree. As I've said many times, a $120 part that can be changed In 15 minutes is the last thing that worries me on a Polaris.

The belt is the enemies way in Honda circles. That's why it's always the focus. Even for those who've never owned one.
I’ve never owned one but I’ve driven a RZR many times and A Renegade special edition a few. And that’s why I went Honda, mine is the 500 and I love the paddle shifters. Stay in a gear on a hill , up or down. Everyone loves what they are accustomed to. The Talon should change some minds. Haha
Caper

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Smitty335 my daughter has an Impreza and a friend in Cape Breton had the exact same car, he was driving home on a two lane highway at 4:00at the last second going from down hill to up hill he saw for a split second something in the road. He thought it was a horse. It turned out to be a 1200 lb Bull moose. He hit it from behind, he was going in the same direction, the moose flew in the air and crashed on to the roof of the car. The RCMP thought they were coming to a fatality and there was a young guy standing on the side of the road, covered in blood, none his. All the moose’s. still on top of the car. The RCMP said kid any other car you probably wouldn’t be here. It has a five star roof crash rating. His parents looked at the car the next day and his mother cried for a week. He went right out and bought another. And my daughter loves hers even more. Me too. Haha
Caper

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Smitty335 my daughter has an Impreza and a friend in Cape Breton had the exact same car, he was driving home on a two lane highway at 4:00at the last second going from down hill to up hill he saw for a split second something in the road. He thought it was a horse. It turned out to be a 1200 lb Bull moose. He hit it from behind, he was going in the same direction, the moose flew in the air and crashed on to the roof of the car. The RCMP thought they were coming to a fatality and there was a young guy standing on the side of the road, covered in blood, none his. All the moose’s. still on top of the car. The RCMP said kid any other car you probably wouldn’t be here. It has a five star roof crash rating. His parents looked at the car the next day and his mother cried for a week. He went right out and bought another. And my daughter loves hers even more. Me too. Haha
Caper
NO POOP!

Jun 21, 2018
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can-Am had a terrible clutch in the first gen Maverick. It didn't cool very well (bad news for rubber belts) and would burn the belt up in one forgetful moment of not using low range under 10mph. The junk-ass clutch negated everything else that the Maverick did well. I hated to sell because I loved everything else about the car but I was sick of putting belts on it.

Reactions: 0860silverado
D

Deleted member 3748

They really are. They weren't even on my radar until we moved to northern MI and needed a new car for my wife with a real 4WD and some decent ground clearance to deal with the snow. After looking at a bunch of cars we found Subaru. The CVT is barely noticeable. They have programmed shifts which make it seem like a normal transmission. You can even switch it to MT and use the paddles. LOL In some cars you can turn this program off, but not in the Subaru. :( The only time you really notice it is when you're accelerating up a hill. The RPMs stay pegged and you just keep accelerating.

Hmmm... maybe @jmcampbell54 knows how to turn off the sawtooth program.

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Can-Am had a terrible clutch in the first gen Maverick. It didn't cool very well (bad news for rubber belts) and would burn the belt up in one forgetful moment of not using low range under 10mph. The junk-ass clutch negated everything else that the Maverick did well. I hated to sell because I loved everything else about the car but I was sick of putting belts on it.
301. They are not much better in a Renegade special edition. He said there was actually smoke coming out. He loves his bike and that didn’t bother him. Haha
Caper

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
They really are. They weren't even on my radar until we moved to northern MI and needed a new car for my wife with a real 4WD and some decent ground clearance to deal with the snow. After looking at a bunch of cars we found Subaru. The CVT is barely noticeable. They have programmed shifts which make it seem like a normal transmission. You can even switch it to MT and use the paddles. LOL In some cars you can turn this program off, but not in the Subaru. :( The only time you really notice it is when you're accelerating up a hill. The RPMs stay pegged and you just keep accelerating.

Hmmm... maybe @jmcampbell54 knows how to turn off the sawtooth program.
Yeah my daughter loves the 4 wheel drive, supposedly the only one better is the BMW x drive. I love the safety.
Caper

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
61205981 3D05 4FA2 AE49 E522235E7133
Hey, do you guys remember when this thread used to be about a RZR? :rolleyes:
Sorry, done. And I still don’t like a RZR. My brothers is in a picture he just sent me from Cape Breton. Nice on a hot day. His bike is at the end.
Caper
Hey, do you guys remember when this thread used to be about a RZR? :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 3748

Yeah my daughter loves the 4 wheel drive, supposedly the only one better is the BMW x drive. I love the safety.
Caper
I don't know anything about the BMW, but the Audi Quattro 4WD is really good too. In the winter time, we used to take the P500 around and leave tire tracks in the driveways of our family/friends who travel south for the winter, to make it look like someone was living there. Now my wife just does it with the Subaru. :D

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
I don't know anything about the BMW, but the Audi Quattro 4WD is really good too. In the winter time, we used to take the P500 around and leave tire tracks in the driveways of our family/friends who travel south for the winter, to make it look like someone was living there. Now my wife just does it with the Subaru. :D
LOL . ❄️
Caper

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Weights are in the primary sheave. Slugs are in the wet clutch.
"Slug" is a slang term for the addition weights added to the centrifugal clutch weights to help with larger tires or reduce slippage. It is a term borrowed from the Mallory metal "slugs" used to help balance crankshafts. They are both weights.

Last edited:
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Caper
From what I've seen and read, subaru has the best 4wd system bar none. They are impressive! And the outback has more clearance than a jeep Cherokee...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!