P1000 Thinking of switching to RZR 900

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Hopefully we’ll never have to change them. Like the Big Bear. Haha.
Caper
I was just thinking that I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anyone I know ever replacing clutches in a bike before. My old neighbor in Cape Breton has an old Honda 300, I think the first 4x4 Honda, it’s left outside all year , sometimes under 5 feet of snow, the seat is just a piece of foam, he did have to get his tires rescaled, but that bike has never had any work done. Oil once and awhile. Haha. Should I be worried about the clutch, I figured there must be one in there , but. Like I said I’ve driven my old bike hard and put it away wet and it’s still going. Fingers crossed on the clutch. Haha
Caper

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi BWAF. It's a 300 special edition '99. Yamaha Big Bear. I've driven it a lot over the years, the one thing I never liked is that it's always in four wheel drive. No two wheel mode, so in always wants to go straight. Haha . But a hell of a good bike. I hope the Pioneer works as good as long. Thanks
Caper
That's what I'm hoping

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Remington and Caper
Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
at idle on a yamaha the sheaves are not turning and slipping on the belt. on a popo and a canned ham they are. As far as changing a belt on a Wolverine on the trail, forget about it. have to remove the bed. on a rhino it could be done on the trail

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
at idle on a yamaha the sheaves are not turning and slipping on the belt. on a popo and a canned ham they are. As far as changing a belt on a Wolverine on the trail, forget about it. have to remove the bed. on a rhino it could be done on the trail
That’s how much I know. I thought a Rhino was the last shaft drive from Yamaha. Haha now I’m confused. I KNOW the Big Bear and my old Kawasaki didn’t have a belt. Haha. Thanks Choogsbro. Learn something new every day.
Caper

Reactions: CumminsPusher
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Actually, many mfgs have followed Yamaha and started using the constant tension CVT, esp on more utility oriented machines. Suzuki, A/C, Kawi...
I believe the Can Am defender also uses this style. Only popo seems to refuse to admit it's a better way.
The sport stuff retains the "loose" style because it is a bit easier to tune for large tires, etc. No need to pull the wet clutch to change weights.

Reactions: Caper
BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey

Mar 29, 2017
Mid TN
Just did a clutch kit on my turbo rzr. start to finish it took an hour this included removing the clutch cover, replacing old weights with calibrated adjustable weights, both primary and secondary springs, new secondary sliders, secondary helix sliders, primary sliders, cleaning all the clutch sheeves and taking the belt on and off.... i dont understand why everyone hates on the belt drives. drive a CVT the right way your belts will last and if you do snap or shred a belt. 15 min and 100$ your back in business. Or if you want to move or adjust for various reasons like bigger tires more low end torque all you have to do is adjust your weights.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Just did a clutch kit on my turbo rzr. start to finish it took an hour this included removing the clutch cover, replacing old weights with calibrated adjustable weights, both primary and secondary springs, new secondary sliders, secondary helix sliders, primary sliders, cleaning all the clutch sheeves and taking the belt on and off.... i dont understand why everyone hates on the belt drives. drive a CVT the right way your belts will last and if you do snap or shred a belt. 15 min and 100$ your back in business. Or if you want to move or adjust for various reasons like bigger tires more low end torque all you have to do is adjust your weights.

Never driven one, nor have I had one to work on. I just know how to work on the Honda because I have done everything to it. Similar to your 6.0s, I wouldn't mind learning the ins and outs of the 6.0 though cause you certainly can get them cheap. I do miss my Harley Edition 6.0 sometimes it was a comfortable truck.

Reactions: Remington
BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey

Mar 29, 2017
Mid TN
Never driven one, nor have I had one to work on. I just know how to work on the Honda because I have done everything to it. Similar to your 6.0s, I wouldn't mind learning the ins and outs of the 6.0 though cause you certainly can get them cheap. I do miss my Harley Edition 6.0 sometimes it was a comfortable truck.
one of my favorite things about the 6.0's. If you have a problem 15 people have already had it and 10 of those guys have made youtube videos of how to fix it and what causes it. Then 4 other companies have a kit that will elimate the problem all together and give you a few more hps lol

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
...i dont understand why everyone hates on the belt drives. drive a CVT the right way your belts will last and if you do snap or shred a belt. 15 min and 100$ your back in business...
I agree. As I've said many times, a $120 part that can be changed In 15 minutes is the last thing that worries me on a Polaris.

The belt is the enemies way in Honda circles. That's why it's always the focus. Even for those who've never owned one.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Kinda like that, but with an extra clutch. Of course, I haven't worked the parts counter since the early 90s and I haven't seen a snowmobile clutch since then... maybe it is the same. :) I also don't have a Yamaha SxS but I've been researching them since the release of the 850 Wolverine.

There is a centrifugal clutch behind the pulley that slips instead of the belt slipping... oops I mean rubber band. :D

View attachment 80759
That's pretty slick!

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I did all those things on the can am when I raced. It's amazing what some little weights and springs can do. We also ran the Maverick belts on an 800 so the lasted. But like you say if you know how to treat them right a belt will last a really long time. They've been putting CVT trannys in cars for years but nobody ever talks about that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I did all those things on the can am when I raced. It's amazing what some little weights and springs can do. We also ran the Maverick belts on an 800 so the lasted. But like you say if you know how to treat them right a belt will last a really long time. They've been putting CVT trannys in cars for years but nobody ever talks about that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I’ve got a couple friends in shops that say they haven’t been having the best luck. Especially with towing

Reactions: lee
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I’ve got a couple friends in shops that say they haven’t been having the best luck. Especially with towing
I have a brother in law, on full disability, because he's too fat to walk, o_O that for the last 9 years drove his Mom some where every day, that lived with us ( Mom). And she bought CVT cars. He has some kind of disease that he can't feel his feet, he drives like a yo yo, needless to say he could trash a Nissan CVT belt in no time, several cars and times. My wife has a 13 GM Sonic turbo, regular 6 speed and runs like a bat out of Hades, I've kind of grown to like it, 60,000 miles, 1 battery, four tires and oil changes. And I think GM quit making them?

J

jmcampbell54

Feb 3, 2018
Texas

Ummm they suck, mostly our issues have been programming and how people drive.
Now we rebuild them under certain conditions/dtc codes and failures. It sucks, they suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CumminsPusher
D

Deleted member 3748

The CVT in cars (some cars anyway) is a chain drive, not belt. GM still makes them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 0860silverado

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!