P1000 thoughts 2018 polaris ranger xp 1000

tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
This will just help keep big discounts on the Honda going so when I buy my p1000-3 I will get it cheap. Of course, I am still waiting for the heat and clutch problems to be fixed.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Polaris, with all their faults is not shy about jumping out there and trying stuff or about doing competitor tear downs and incorporating the good ideas that they find. (This is something that Honda sorely lacks)

Good ideas they incorporated from competitors:

-Uniframe (Almost looks identical to Defender)
-6 Ply tires (on the XT Defender)
-Standard Engine Braking (Pioneer/Defender)
-Full length skid plate (Defender XT)
-Under Hood Air (Pioneer)
-Sealed bushings (Pioneer)
-12 Month Warranty (Pioneer)
-Thicker seats (Look very similar to Defender XT)
-60/40 seating with tilt up seats (Defender)
-Front bumper standard (Pioneer)
-Low speed engagement clutch (Defender)

Plus they add ground clearance, travel and towing which is another very smart move and will be good for the industry as others will have to follow suit or lose market share.

If they could only become the industry leader in durability AND innovation instead of being the leader in sales and recalls they would pretty much destroy the competition.

I actually think it looks more like a Pioneer than a Defender but it does look more like a Toyota or a Ford Raptor than either of those.

Personally, I don't mind the looks if it has the performance and durability.
Now why did I have to watch that!!??? Anbody want to buy a 2016 Pioneer 1000-3 that's barely used? 4 year unlimited mile warranty included and I haven't cashed in my clutch replacement yet.

Reactions: AZhunter and rocmar

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Polaris's aren't as bad of a machine as many make them out to be. I think that new Ranger XP 1000 is pretty cool looking.
I agree. They had a couple bad designs a decade ago but their machines built since July 1st 2015 are much improved. ( New belt and clutches with different angles/spring loads. Part #s are different from a 2015 built in June than one built in July.) Burnt belts are pretty much a thing of the past. Unless you're doing something really really really stoopid.

Reactions: AZhunter and rocmar

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
With Frigg'n AC?? Come the frick on, Ya may as well buy a pickup. There comes a point where it verges on ridiculous. I'd rather b1tch about the heat in my PK5 than be caught with AC...LOL

NORTHSTAR EDITION
Starting US MSRP $23,999
The all-new RANGER XP 1000 Northstar Edition delivers an industry-exclusive heating and air conditioning system.
With Frigg'n AC?? Come the frick on, Ya may as well buy a pickup. There comes a point where it verges on ridiculous. I'd rather b1tch about the heat in my PK5 than be caught with AC...LOL

NORTHSTAR EDITION
Starting US MSRP $23,999
The all-new RANGER XP 1000 Northstar Edition delivers an industry-exclusive heating and air conditioning system.
Yeah but I can remember when people said the same about tractors with cabs and HVAC. Nowadays I'm not sure if you can purchase a combine or a 300 horsepower tractor without a cab and HVAC. It all depends on your needs. I think an HVAC on a RZR would be totally ridiculous but on a Ranger? It'd allow a man to work a 14 hour dusty and hot workday (ask farmers about that) and still be able to do it again and again, day after day.

Reactions: AZhunter

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
When your brand...brags about
only direct drive..calling others
rubberbands...
YOUR PRODUCT..SHOULD BE AS BRAGGED
...39 Min rubberband...repair
smoked clutch...
sorry you won't be riding for..
...um 2 to 4 weeks
And you have to really try hard and have no sense of machinery to smoke a belt on a post-July 2015 Polaris machine. Honda clutch will de-laminate before you can take your foot off the gas.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And you have to really try hard and have no sense of machinery to smoke a belt on a post-July 2015 Polaris machine. Honda clutch will de-laminate before you can take your foot off the gas.

14 when I bought my 700, the Polaris dealer offered a 10 pack of belts and a toolkit to change on the trail. Glad they have the belt figured out, now on to the 10 pages of fire related recalls.

I'd go with Can-Am if I was going to buy a CVT.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
14 when I bought my 700, the Polaris dealer offered a 10 pack of belts and a toolkit to change on the trail. Glad they have the belt figured out, now on to the 10 pages of fire related recalls.

I'd go with Can-Am if I was going to buy a CVT.
Yep...Polaris made a lot of mistakes in those few years between 2009 and 2014 and they're still paying for them now with their reputation. The Ranger 800 was a horrible dog of a machine too. But I have a 2015 Ranger 570 built in August of 15 and I've got 7500 miles on my original belt with no problems. (I have a spare just in case, but the darn thing just won't quit!!)

Reactions: AZhunter

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!