True Isolator issue

S

SgtGuy6027

Aug 16, 2020
Daphne, Al
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I think I have killed my 2nd AUX battery. Didn't test this when I replaced the odyssey, but I did a few mins ago. I have 14.3 volts on the factory side to the isolator and only 5 coming out going to the AUX battery. This is when the machine is running. When off there is 12.5 on the factory battery and 5 on the AUX. Thinking the isolator is toast.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I think I have killed my 2nd AUX battery. Didn't test this when I replaced the odyssey, but I did a few mins ago. I have 14.3 volts on the factory side to the isolator and only 5 coming out going to the AUX battery. This is when the machine is running. When off there is 12.5 on the factory battery and 5 on the AUX. Thinking the isolator is toast.
I had an isolator go bad and it quit charging my 2nd battery. Put a charger on your 2nd battery for now so it doesn't sit around dead. Order another isolator from the club store. You will only need the isolator and not all the stuff that comes in the kits.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
When off there is 12.5 on the factory battery and 5 on the AUX. Thinking the isolator is toast.
Test it...
Unhook the second battery from the isolator post and with the blue light on both post should be the same.

How old is your setup? 2 batteries failing is an issue.
I would like to know where you are grounding your second battery at.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't know exactly how True Isolator works because I have the Blue Sea unit, but here is what happend to me. My aux battery ran down to low (accessory draw when not running) and it wouldn't let the charging relay connect the 2 batteries together when I started the bike. I'm guessing so it wouldn't hurt the factory battery or charging system by trying to charge a super low battery. After charging the Aux battery a little with a battery charger, the relay worked fine after that. Don't know if this has anything to do with it, but might be worth a try before buying a new isolator. The moral of my story is a I need to ride more to keep everything charged up.

S

SgtGuy6027

Aug 16, 2020
Daphne, Al
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Test it...
Unhook the second battery from the isolator post and with the blue light on both post should be the same.

I will try that when I get home. I believe it was my fault on the 1st battery I think I left the sound bar on, its wire straight to the battery. As for the grounding on the 2nd battery, I used the AUX ground that came on the machine.

• Wow
Reactions: Smitty335
S

SgtGuy6027

Aug 16, 2020
Daphne, Al
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Test it...

And I bought the buggy in July so August time frame is when I installed the dual battery set up. This was the 1st thing I did.

This is a crud drawing on how I have it set up
20210616 080547

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Can you post or send me a few pics of your setup later.

Your drawing does not show the battery ground point.
The second battery MUST be ground back to the primary system.
Either..
1 - to the primary battery
or
2 - to the frame somewhere.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
And I bought the buggy in July so August time frame is when I installed the dual battery set up. This was the 1st thing I did.

This is a crud drawing on how I have it set upView attachment 278876
Any parasitic draw from the winch? Could be draining it while its sitting. I don't know what isolator you are running, but some of them won't kick over in an undervoltage condition to keep from dragging down the main battery.

advertisement
S

SgtGuy6027

Aug 16, 2020
Daphne, Al
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Can you post or send me a few pics of your setup later.

Your drawing does not show the battery ground point.
The second battery MUST be ground back to the primary system.
Either..
1 - to the primary battery
or
2 - to the frame somewhere.
The ground i am.using for the 2nd battery is the factory ground that was tucked away near the main battery

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Also the mighty maxx battery is only a third of the price of the Odyssey battery and people are getting just as good service or better out of the mighty maxx.
This is what I've had for a couple of years now and had no trouble.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Is the small black wire hooked to a good ground?

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Also what size screws did you use to mount the isolator? May have damaged the circuit board inside.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!