Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Depends on the parts. Whatcha looking at? Is that an X Live Valve model?
I believe it is. It looks like I’m going to have trouble with the existing Rops as the passenger rear section is already kinked at the bend not sure I’ll be able to fix that without cutting out the bend etc. I found a red Rops on FB that seems a bit high in cost.

I’m thinking that the passenger rear suspension likely is tweaked etc

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
So I’ve been kicking around the idea of a talon x4 for a bit.

Finally pulled the trigger on a rebuilder. Found one that was laid on its side that appears to be workable. Odometer shows less than 900 miles and it’s a 2020. Wanted something a bit newer but it was hard to pass on the price.

Not my first rebuilder ( mostly cars and trucks) but my first rebuilder toy.

Should be a good project for my side business to make parts for etc.

Hopefully I’ll see it in a week or so to see what is really going on with it.

View attachment 424095 View attachment 424096 View attachment 424097 View attachment 424098 View attachment 424099 View attachment 424100 View attachment 424101 View attachment 424102
Oh s*** congratulations!!! That don’t look bad at all. How many miles?
Never mind milage I saw that pic, It’s low

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I’ve been reviewing @CumminsPusher thread…but it’s a bit unclear to me where the years break on parts…and even more what is shared between the x2 and x4.

I imagine that most of the power train is the same except for the obvious items due to the length of the chassis.

Are the suspension components the same for the years minus heavier shocks?
I’m pretty positive everything on the nose will work. If needed I wouldn’t be afraid of using that front post section from a 2 door or an R if you found something.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m pretty positive everything on the nose will work. If needed I wouldn’t be afraid of using that front post section from a 2 door or an R if you found something.
Cool thanks for the tip.

For mine I’m going to try and use my cnc plasma table to the max. Some of the tubing sections might get a bit hard to manage however without some repair sections or assemblies.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I’ve been kicking around the idea of a talon x4 for a bit.

Finally pulled the trigger on a rebuilder. Found one that was laid on its side that appears to be workable. Odometer shows less than 900 miles and it’s a 2020. Wanted something a bit newer but it was hard to pass on the price.

Not my first rebuilder ( mostly cars and trucks) but my first rebuilder toy.

Should be a good project for my side business to make parts for etc.

Hopefully I’ll see it in a week or so to see what is really going on with it.

View attachment 424095 View attachment 424096 View attachment 424097 View attachment 424098 View attachment 424099 View attachment 424100 View attachment 424101 View attachment 424102
Can I be nosey? Did you get it from copart? I tried to get something similar for the longest time and prices were just ridiculous.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Never Ever use a roll cage that has been damaged. Always go with an aftermarket well built roll cage. Your family and friends are worth the investment.
Based on what and compared against what?

This ain’t some bubble gum and duct tape show..

I’ll evaluate the system and make changes as I see fit based on my experience. It may include replacing the cage. It may not.

S

ScottJ24

Lifetime Member
Nov 30, 2020
Cresson, TX
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Not sure yet.

Gotta see how beat up the stock cage is first.

Get the plastics off, get the tape measure and tramgauge out and see how outta square it is first.

I’m sure there are some sections that will need attention there always is.

Likely I’ll just make it a stock machine again. Keep it simple in case I decide to flip it later on.

Based on what and compared against what?

This ain’t some bubble gum and duct tape show..

I’ll evaluate the system and make changes as I see fit based on my experience. It may include replacing the cage. It may not.
The stock cages are very thin. I would never trust a bent stock cage. Metal when flexed to the yield point is never as strong as it was. Your cage was bent just from laying over on its side. Just think about if you rolled it once much less several times. I would go with a good 1.75" .095 wall DOM tubing at least .120 wall would be better. I had one built for my car out of 1.75" .095 wall CroMolly. The cost of the cage is small compaired to medical bills. Just my .02 cents worth.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IMG 6274
IMG 6276
IMG 6275
IMG 6277
Well it’s here in all its glory.

The good

Got a really nice set of rock a Billy tires…I forgot to check the size but definitely taller than stock.
Most of the lights work except for the light bar as it’s smashed.
Starts runs drives without any codes so far other than blinking power steering light. (Battery was bone dead)
Interior is in great shape
Under body is super clean despite the gstring joke of a factory plate
Nice SATV windscreen, basket and rear hitch.

The not so good
Driver rear is toed in pretty badly. The control arm looks bent and one of the rods too. Makes the buggy want to dog track bad
Passenger plastics are so so. Maybe I can find some replacement panels but the will work for now
Missing the front hood

The Bad

The buggy was on its top and passenger side. Originally I thought it was just a flop…the factory cage is kinked at nearly every t joint…by the time I pull it back and make new gussets and clam shells it’s looking like I’ll be over halfway into a take off roof. I know of a take off for sale on fake book but it’s outrageously priced. Good news is that everything below the bolted connectors isn’t kinked and could be pulled back. Maybe I just cut out the connectors and make a new cage not sure yet.

Fo sho I took it for a rip around my pasture a few laps after I checked the fluids and jumped started it!

That god forsaken gas pedal sucks donkey balls and because of it my knee rides right on the ignition switch bubble…not sure what I’m going to do about that. It seems at first look that there’s possibly a chance to move the pedals forward…but that will be for later I think.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
10-80 Sports makes brackets to move your seat up 1-1/2" and back 1-1/2", not all that hard to do yourself either.
Thanks for the tip, I had the tape measure out on that idea too. That would help for sure.

I found some used talon pedal assemblies on eBay that are pretty darn cheap. I was thinking of getting a couple and mocking up some different arm assemblies (something like a car with the plate flexing) and try to cnc cut some different motion arms and play with some sweep angles in CAD.

On my P1k5 I simply installed a throttle max and it’s been super since 2018.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!