Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Beautiful day today at 56*F or 14*C. Sun’s shining and the bird’s are chirping. Time for some yard cleanup. Tomorrow’s supposed to be better. :)
Same here, feels like 60’s already, sunshine and no wind!! We’re heading out to the property with the Pioneer for a ride and a picnic...:cool:

Reactions: Mudwing
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
As you can see, an excavator is designed for digging, you can’t build a “proper” road with one. You can check with road building contractors or just watch when your passing road construction zones. Dozer’s build the bed, excavators are digging culverts, utilities, or parked near a material source (embankment) digging where dump trucks pull up and get loaded and then take it to where the Dozer’s are working. Fine tuning and maintenance is done with patrol (road grader) like this one.

View attachment 120950
Up here, that’s called a grader. :)
All I know, he’s worked construction projects since he was a kid and took a heavy equipment course. His father in law owns one of the biggest construction companies in Nova Scotia. Like I said, he has a dozer, himself, a cat with a cab, but he said he can make a road with the excavator easier than the dozer.
I’m just relaying what he told me last summer while he was putting in a road for a house. He was putting 2 1/2 “ stone on top.
Up here we have to use corrugated plastic for culverts. No more steel. :)
Caper

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Huh. You know C . Haha. I grew up with F and still cross back and forth. :)
Caper
I know the conversion from working with the two. Plus, being a border state, I’ll hear it now and then. ;)

Reactions: Caper
Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Haha, a catfish isn’t a carp , and a carp isn’t a catfish. Like up here when some restaurants tried to pass off cheep fish as Halibut. Can’t do that anymore. :)
In Miss they catch with a rod, at night, then put a snare around their head, before they can shoot them. Big difference from Louisiana. Was cool to see.
It’s crazy to see the carp jumping right in the boat. It’s too bad someone couldn’t figure a way to eat them that they taste good. As bad as friggen rats. :)
Caper
We have two grass carp in our pond. They look prehistoric but have outgrown the catfish by 2 or 3 pounds. They have plenty to eat and if they get hungry you will sometimes see them eating the floating catfish food.

Reactions: Mudwing and Caper
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
We have two grass carp in our pond. They look prehistoric but have outgrown the catfish by 2 or 3 pounds. They have plenty to eat and if they get hungry you will sometimes see them eating the floating catfish food.
Cool. My friend in Alberta has a trout pond. His trout get huge, probably 6 lb. But there is a carp in the pond too. He’s about two feet and black. When you throw the food in, the trout go nuts. Very relaxing. It was so cold last year, the pond froze. He has a windmill to keep the water open, but didn’t matter. The trout died but the carp is still going. Of course. :) He’s getting more this year.
No catfish up here in N S.
I see them on tv fishing with their hands. Noodling ? That’s crazy. :)
Caper

advertisement
Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Cool. My friend in Alberta has a trout pond. His trout get huge, probably 6 lb. But there is a carp in the pond too. He’s about two feet and black. When you throw the food in, the trout go nuts. Very relaxing. It was so cold last year, the pond froze. He has a windmill to keep the water open, but didn’t matter. The trout died but the carp is still going. Of course. :) He’s getting more this year.
No catfish up here in N S.
I see them on tv fishing with their hands. Noodling ? That’s crazy. :)
Caper
Yea noodling is very popular down here, it's not for me though,not sure what you might get sticking your hands/arms under water. Catfish is very popular down here. They have acres and acres of ponds that they grow them in. People will buy 1 tractor and an aerator/PTO driven, for four ponds so that they can move from pond to pond and not have to buy an aerator per pond. From 77 to 87 I worked on Detroit Diesels and Allison transmissions. We had a customer who had Steiger Tractors with 903 Cummins/V-8 turbo/and Allison powershift transmissions. They were a lot bigger than the 4wd John Deere's at the time,their farm could build a catfish pond a day. They had 2 Steigers each pulling two belly scrapers and they would scrape in a circle then dump up on the pond dam. They had one dozer that would spread the dirt and shape the dam. The ponds are not real deep and were very interesting to watch being built. Pulling the trans out of the Steigers was a different story. You had to start by pulling the cab off.

Reactions: Caper and Mudwing
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Yea noodling is very popular down here, it's not for me though,not sure what you might get sticking your hands/arms under water. Catfish is very popular down here. They have acres and acres of ponds that they grow them in. People will buy 1 tractor and an aerator/PTO driven, for four ponds so that they can move from pond to pond and not have to buy an aerator per pond. From 77 to 87 I worked on Detroit Diesels and Allison transmissions. We had a customer who had Steiger Tractors with 903 Cummins/V-8 turbo/and Allison powershift transmissions. They were a lot bigger than the 4wd John Deere's at the time,their farm could build a catfish pond a day. They had 2 Steigers each pulling two belly scrapers and they would scrape in a circle then dump up on the pond dam. They had one dozer that would spread the dirt and shape the dam. The ponds are not real deep and were very interesting to watch being built. Pulling the trans out of the Steigers was a different story. You had to start by pulling the cab off.
Cool. But yeah I don’t know if I could stick my hand in a hole that could hold a snapping turtle. :)
Ouch. Very cool though. :)
O

Reactions: Mopower58
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Like I said, he has a dozer, himself, a cat with a cab, but he said he can make a road with the excavator easier than the dozer.
I’m just relaying what he told me last summer while he was putting in a road for a house.
Lol, he was bs-ing you. Like we do with the new kid that wants to be a carpenter when we send him after the wood stretcher for that board that was cut too short....:D:cool:

Reactions: Caper and Mudwing
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Up here we have to use corrugated plastic for culverts. No more steel.
Pity that, after having 2 or 3 of them burn up on my Oklahoma ranch I went back to galvanized. But short of fire, I think they’ll out last galvanized and man are they easier to handle. :cool:

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Pity that, after having 2 or 3 of them burn up on my Oklahoma ranch I went back to galvanized. But short of fire, I think they’ll out last galvanized and man are they easier to handle. :cool:
Monte. I know you don’t have tv. But I watched a movie on Netflix tonight. A Walk in The Woods. Robert Redford and Nick Noltie. They walk the Appalachian trail starting in Georgia. It’s a really funny movie. :)
Caper

advertisement