Weather Talk

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Sunny and 36 here today but it was rainy and 70 yesterday. Our weather is schizophrenic since the jet stream moves north and south by a 150 or so miles on a daily basis in the fall, winter, and spring. It’s been 75 on Christmas Day and 20 and snowing on Jan 1st before. Summer it’s just hot and humid from Early April until fall shows up in late October.
Yeah I’m Nova Scotia, we are kinda stuck out in the Atlantic, so everything eventually comes to us. Haha. We see a lot of big storms. Big Nor’easter usually means snow. This winter not so bad , yet. Haha
Caper

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
-41 below = 2 hrs late start for schools:rolleyes:
We never get that cold in Nova Scotia. -25 probably the worse. Must be good ice for skating. [HASHTAG]#foot[/HASHTAG] warmer. Haha. Yeah that’s frost bite weather. Got a nice fire going ? And a nice rum hot tot-tie. Haha Stay warm.
Caper

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Yup, but predicting weather is a blindfolded 100yd shot at a bat with a shotgun. Does that warrant a shutdown every time bad weather is a chance ...probably not but here locally two events have made them gunshy.

4/27/2011 it was supposed to be a very bad severe weather day. They ended up sending kids home early region wide luckily as we had one of the worst tornado outbreaks in last 50 years. 238 died in Alabama alone from 62 tornadoes F1-F5 and they didn’t think it was going to be anywhere near that bad. (360 tornados total) Several schools were completely obliterated by the F3-F4 tornadoes, University of Alabama and a major hospital sustained heavy damage with students killed.

We were supposed to get a flurry in Jan 2014 that ended up covering most roads in 1-2” of ice.
Shut everything down, wrecked busses and hurt some kids. It was actually fairly slick everywhere, My wife spent the night at her school with her class because the roads were impassable by most and the cops had everything shut down anyway. I got up early the next morning went home got the 700 so I could fit between the wrecked cars and went and got her and most of the other teachers. The fire department finally got some snow chains and was carrying the kids. Out to the main hwy from the school. It took a couple days for roads to thaw, even with sand trucks they were still to slick to drive on in shaded places.

View attachment 102741 View attachment 102742 View attachment 102743
Wow. I would never think Alabama would have ice like that. I worked with a good old boy from Alabama on a rig we finished up, up here. Great guy. Two guys from James town shipyard. I think that was the name of the yard. Haha. Bill and Bill. They hated the cold in the winter. Standing on the deck -20 blowing trying to have a smoke. Makes you want to quit. Haha. One guy was from Hawaii. He was cold. Haha. He could see the volcano lava from his house at night. I said what the hell are you doing here. Haha
Like everyone. Gotta work.
Caper

Reactions: CumminsPusher
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow. I would never think Alabama would have ice like that. I worked with a good old boy from Alabama on a rig we finished up, up here. Great guy. Two guys from James town shipyard. I think that was the name of the yard. Haha. Bill and Bill. They hated the cold in the winter. Standing on the deck -20 blowing trying to have a smoke. Makes you want to quit. Haha. One guy was from Hawaii. He was cold. Haha. He could see the volcano lava from his house at night. I said what the hell are you doing here. Haha
Like everyone. Gotta work.
Caper

Doesn’t happen all the time but it happens occasional, our record low is -7 though so nothing like yallget in the great white north. Ice is problem because the roads aren’t cold enough until the snow melts and cools them then it freezes and people pack the snow into a thicker ice sheet. We don’t have brine trucks just sand trucks.

I have played in the snow in Hawaii, no joke. They call it Pineapple Powder even have a couple of ski/surf shops that will rent skis when it happens, no chair lifts though.

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Doesn’t happen all the time but it happens occasional, our record low is -7 though so nothing like yallget in the great white north. Ice is problem because the roads aren’t cold enough until the snow melts and cools them then it freezes and people pack the snow into a thicker ice sheet. We don’t have brine trucks just sand trucks.

I have played in the snow in Hawaii, no joke. They call it Pineapple Powder even have a couple of ski/surf shops that will rent skis when it happens, no chair lifts though.
So , one trip down. Haha
Caper

Reactions: ohanacreek
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Brrrr
Screenshot 20190124 194354 Weather

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Yup walking up a Mt at 13000-14000' is not easy for an out of shape southern boy who's not used to the altitude.
Haha. Or an old boy from the Maritimes. I jumped out of a plane at 3,500 feet. Anything past 10,000 don’t you need oxygen. I think anyone at that height would be huffing. Haha
Caper

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
View attachment 104248
You guys are tough. Over here, they’ll close at -15 or if they have snow days left they’ll use them. School was closed today for us. It wasn’t cold but the snow was flying hard.
Think it was good they closed the schools, it would be a sad day if a buss load of kids were injured or worse!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!