Latest on Fiona.

Reactions: Smitty335 and Caper
S

SaltwaterSlick

Jul 20, 2022
Southeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Was 66 when I left the house this morning here in SE Texas... kinda made my neck swell up a little and put a natural hook in my trigger finger!! It's gettin' to be that time!! 😉 👍

• Haha
Reactions: Caper and Smitty335
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Was 66 when I left the house this morning here in SE Texas... kinda made my neck swell up a little and put a natural hook in my trigger finger!! It's gettin' to be that time!! 😉 👍
Has to be colder than that to get the bucks moving up here. I’m going to put a camera or two out to see what’s around. If the trail behind the camp is passable next week. These are from two years ago.
Caper

F00201AD 13C9 477A 9318 5612D3862D67 FDAB548C C2C4 4CE8 B8DF 3473F089EE59

• Love
Reactions: Smitty335
S

SaltwaterSlick

Jul 20, 2022
Southeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Very nice deer!! Not allowed to post pics on the old www of the deer we have on our ranch I hunt in South Texas, but got my personal best last December with my bow... 25 1/2" inside spread 10 point that field dressed 215#... Nothing like a Canadian deer, but big for Texas... Average size deer in Texas, is around 150# live weight, some areas smaller than that... Some areas of our state are over run with deer... I sure like trying to outsmart an ol' mature buck!

• Love
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Very nice deer!! Not allowed to post pics on the old www of the deer we have on our ranch I hunt in South Texas, but got my personal best last December with my bow... 25 1/2" inside spread 10 point that field dressed 215#... Nothing like a Canadian deer, but big for Texas... Average size deer in Texas, is around 150# live weight, some areas smaller than that... Some areas of our state are over run with deer... I sure like trying to outsmart an ol' mature buck!
I just hunt the big guys. I walked right up on a 14 pt n Nov a few years ago in a snowstorm. He was definitely in the rut. Big neck and no ass. He jumped up and stood in front of me about 15 feet. I went to a knee and actually said, anybody but me, you would be dead right now just for your head. He turned and took three steps towards me. I said one more step and your done. As he took the fourth step, I clicked the Safty, and he was gone.
rattled a giant in about 10 years ago. Came back across the road just at daylight. He saw me before I saw him behind me. Haha
I got a beautiful 14 pt in Alberta a few years ago. Figured over 240 lbs. Hit him right in the inside corner of his left eye. He dropped like a stone. All my deer have been one shot. I never get “ Buck fever “. Haha . I have lots of good stories about big deer, Haha
Might be going out to Alberta this year again. Haven’t gone for the last couple. My buddy has 250 acres of Alfalfa, and only trees for miles. Not quite fare. Haha
One ranch we hunt ne’er Jenner, is 90 miles across, and 60 miles wide.
That’s a third of Nova Scotia. Haha
Love getting out.
Caper

• Love
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
We’re under a hurricane watch. Saying we’re going to get at least 6” of rain,
Rain is going to start tonight after supper. Rain until Sunday. Heavy tomorrow and Saturday.
Caper

advertisement
Wallace

Wallace

Well that didn't go as planned
Lifetime Member
Jun 28, 2017
Lonoke Arkansas
Ownership

1. 500
We’re under a hurricane watch. Saying we’re going to get at least 6” of rain,
Rain is going to start tonight after supper. Rain until Sunday. Heavy tomorrow and Saturday.
Caper
Could use some rain here been pretty dry. But a least it is 20 degrees cooler today.

S

SaltwaterSlick

Jul 20, 2022
Southeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
God Speed to getting though this storm Caper!
I got 50.07" of rain at my house in less than 48 hours when Hurricane Harvey hit the Texas coast... I have 50 acres of pasture and woodlands and 49.5 acres went under... The only half acre that did not was where my house was sitting!! I've been through some doozies in my lifetime here on the Gulf Coast, but that was the worst one for water... Hurricane Carla in 1961 was the worst one for wind... Ike was pretty bad too... here we have a philosophy of "run from the water and hide from the wind"... That has served me well for almost 70 years...

• Love
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
God Speed to getting though this storm Caper!
I got 50.07" of rain at my house in less than 48 hours when Hurricane Harvey hit the Texas coast... I have 50 acres of pasture and woodlands and 49.5 acres went under... The only half acre that did not was where my house was sitting!! I've been through some doozies in my lifetime here on the Gulf Coast, but that was the worst one for water... Hurricane Carla in 1961 was the worst one for wind... Ike was pretty bad too... here we have a philosophy of "run from the water and hide from the wind"... That has served me well for almost 70 years...
I don’t think it will be like you get on the Gulf. The North Atlantic will kick the crap out of her with the cooler water. Saying that, the water is really warm this year. I’m going to make camp next weekend.So we’ll see. Yup n Chetticamp in Cape Breton, the older houses have shutters ghat actually close over the windows. They can have hurricane force winds in the winter, a lot. Last winter the west side of Cape Breton had 150 mph winds. Twice. Camp lost one piece of siding. Hopefully won’t be even that with Feona.
Have two double tree stands up in big hardwood maples. Hope they survive.
Caper

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I froze my nu, nu's off this evening mowing at 63*, Im acclimated to hot weather, it'll take a week or two to adjust, not griping at all, 30* + cooler this evening than last evening.

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Coming ashore at a cat 1 or 2 in Cape Breton. Then going right over the camp. Just said probably landing at a 2. Over 6” of rain. And of course after midnight when the worst is. Raining a bit right now. Not much wind. Yet.
Keep you updated
Caper

Reactions: SWB and Wallace
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Pretty calm right now. A little rain falling. This rain is from the storm that hit Alaska week or so ago. Supposed to get harder this afternoon. Then pour tonight and overnight.
Caper

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah heard weakened a little. Hope it weakens a little more for you.
Just said it might hit Cape Breton as a cat 2. So like Juan when that hit Halifax around 19 years ago. Lots of tree damage. I think in Halifax is going to be around 80 mph winds. I guess we’ll see. It’s still around Bermuda . But from there to into the Gulf is only going to be just over a day. So it’s really going to move. Sable island is going to be hit with a cat 3.
I’d love to be there for it. Walk the beach, which goes right around the island. Never know what you’d find.
Caper

S

SaltwaterSlick

Jul 20, 2022
Southeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey Caper, do these storms usually have a big tidal surge associated with them when they hit your area? Some of our storms have such a tidal surge that the water is more damaging than the winds. When Hurricane Ike hit the Texas Gulf coast, its tidal surge went over 20 miles inland in some places. The whole Galveston island was inundated with water from the Gulf of Mexico... Ike had a storm surge of over 20 feet! The Gulf of Mexico is shaped like a big cereal bowl so it is conducive to creating some devastating storm surges and we are pretty flat along the coast.

Reactions: Caper
advertisement