Weather Talk

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Hey Caper, do these storms usually have a big tidal surge associated with them when they hit your area? Some of our storms have such a tidal surge that the water is more damaging than the winds. When Hurricane Ike hit the Texas Gulf coast, its tidal surge went over 20 miles inland in some places. The whole Galveston island was inundated with water from the Gulf of Mexico... Ike had a storm surge of over 20 feet! The Gulf of Mexico is shaped like a big cereal bowl so it is conducive to creating some devastating storm surges and we are pretty flat along the coast.
We are a hilly province. Some houses along the Bedford basin got a big hit from Juan 19 years ago. It came right up the harbour and pushed the storm surge right up the harbour and into the rich homes along the basin. Not sure where it’s going yet but the models are showing Cape Breton, right over my camp. It’s got some small mountains to cross first, so hopefully knocks some out of it. There are some houses along the coast, but mostly new expensive homes. People that moved from Ontario or out west that don’t know the power of Mother Nature. Some places like Truro are flat so the river backs up and floods downtown. They have been working on it so we’ll see. Haha
Monte just said he saw it’s hitting Halifax as a cat 3 , but I don’t think so. And of course it’s all going to be after midnight, when the heavy rain and wind hit.
I love a big storm, and we get a lot, stuck out in the North Atlantic.
i remember Juan, I stood outside by my back door, in my rubber rain suit, just listening to the power of her. Sounded like a train going right up my driveway. That was SE this is coming NW.
Should be interesting.
Haha
Caper

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
My wife laugh’s st me for buying so many flashlights.
this is only about 1/4 of what I have.
Until a big storm comes then she isn’t laughing.
Haha
Caper
5B0BE14F A649 47AE B034 C1A4D6F0E7CB

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Already 1 3/4 inches of rain, and Feona isn’t even here yet. This is from the storm that hit Alaska last week.
Some weather men are saying this could be our worst storm ever. That I find hard to believe.
Guess we’ll see
Haha
Caper

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
My wife laugh’s st me for buying so many flashlights.
this is only about 1/4 of what I have.
Until a big storm comes then she isn’t laughing.
Haha
Caper View attachment 355353
Looks like you are well stocked on emergency lighting, but don't forget the really important stuff, like adult beverages and toilet paper.
🍻 🧻

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
I have two courts of 12 year old Appleton rum. And a couple bottles of Coke. Haha. Think I’m good for a day or two. 😂😂
Caper
Here in Oklahoma we keep more than that on hand just in case of snake bite. 😉 We don't get hurricanes in Oklahoma, but we average about 62 tornadoes yearly, and are tied for the record number of EF5 (highest ever recorded) tornadoes.

In all seriousness, It sounds like you know what to do, and I wish you well. 👍

Last edited:
Reactions: Buggyman and Caper
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Here in Oklahoma we keep more than that on hand just in case of snake bite. 😉 We don't get hurricanes in Oklahoma, but we average about 62 tornadoes yearly, and are tied for the record of EF5 (highest ever) tornadoes.

In all seriousness, It sounds like you know what to do, and I wish you well. 👍
Thank god we don’t have tornados too. Hurricanes are enough. We get a lot of bad weather, especially in the winter. The weather said it could be the worst ever. Haha, don’t believe that, but we’ll see tomorrow morning.
Haha
Caper

advertisement
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thank god we don’t have tornados too. Hurricanes are enough. We get a lot of bad weather, especially in the winter. The weather said it could be the worst ever. Haha, don’t believe that, but we’ll see tomorrow morning.
Haha
Caper
I've seen tornado paths in the Red Lake, Ontario area?

Reactions: Buggyman and Caper
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!