Talon What you don't like about the Talon...

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Tell me about all YOUR negative experiences using hondas i4wd.......go ahead....I'll wait

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have my concerns but I haven’t bashed it. I’ve said above that I need to test it before passing judgment.

I do believe the cables are more robust than the sensors and wires. Right now that’s about all I got that I don’t like.

My fear about it that i4wd is REACTIVE. A locker is proactive. The i4wd must see slippage and then react. That slippage is lost traction. Maybe it happens so fast that it’s a non issue.

The good things are easy steering and it should save axles.

I hope to get to really test it soon and I’ll give my thoughts.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Uhhhh, I don’t think that will work for me.
Well if you take out your "life like companion doll" and passenger seat you can use all that space for whatever stuff you want to pack.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Wife got me a pocket sized companion for our anniversary... I’m not sure if it’s really a gift for me or her, but I’m calling it a win!

Good grief, now you'll be running around with your fleshlight b****ing about which way the batteries go in.

Reactions: Ragnar406 and sharp
J

JTW

I have my concerns but I haven’t bashed it. I’ve said above that I need to test it before passing judgment.

I do believe the cables are more robust than the sensors and wires. Right now that’s about all I got that I don’t like.

My fear about it that i4wd is REACTIVE. A locker is proactive. The i4wd must see slippage and then react. That slippage is lost traction. Maybe it happens so fast that it’s a non issue.

The good things are easy steering and it should save axles.

I hope to get to really test it soon and I’ll give my thoughts.
I feel the same way... I can see the advantages but I also have my reservations compared to a manual locking diff. If I had my preferences.... I’d like to see turf,2wd, i4wd and 4lock on the selector. I’d also like to see all 4 axles the same. Then it would be awesome!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Lol. Did you get that meme from a democratic website?
Limited slip even being done semi/electrically just isn’t lock. It can’t possibly have the same traction. They just smartened the rig to help take driver error away. They don’t break axles as bad because they have less traction.
I understand it’s easier to steer and some positives like less tire scrub at heavy steering angle at those times I don’t usually run diff.
Technology isn’t always better for everyone. I don’t like it in my sxs but yes I get it and unfortunately I’ll have to suck it up and deal.
I’m thankful it’s not the rear wheel spin/front lock up Polaris has though. It’s impossible to build a vehicle that everyone is happy in every way. For us the Pioneer is very close to that for what we need it for so I’m happy for that.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Tell me about all YOUR negative experiences using hondas i4wd.......go ahead....I'll wait

Don’t like throwing too much technology at something a tow truck can’t retrieve. We go deep sometimes and I don’t like issues. I’ve had enough that that weren’t my fault. I don’t see a reason to swap something out that worked perfectly fine.
You see that in new cars all the time where something simple required a tow truck to the dealer for a 5k repair.
Sometimes simple is just fine. I know I’m old school but I can’t change that.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thread title, Complaints....

Let's see:

1. Not cool to tax someone on income they worked for only the use that tax revenue to support people who can work but refuse to.

2. Not cool to promote people based upon ethnic identity instead of qualifications due to some inequality suffering by others over 50 years ago.

3. Politicians, all of them, should be treated like diapers. Changed often and for the same reason.

Oh the Talon, have no complaints, haven't driven it, or seen reliable real world comparisons. Looks good, appears well made, but nothing factual to complain about. Those that do, likely b**** about thier ice cream being cold.

First world millennial problems.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Don’t like throwing too much technology at something a tow truck can’t retrieve. We go deep sometimes and I don’t like issues. I’ve had enough that that weren’t my fault. I don’t see a reason to swap something out that worked perfectly fine.
You see that in new cars all the time where something simple required a tow truck to the dealer for a 5k repair.
Sometimes simple is just fine. I know I’m old school but I can’t change that.
Well you could always ride horses, sometimes simple is just fine, and a horse always gets back to the barn even when drunk off your ass. Seent it in westerns.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Well you could always ride horses, sometimes simple is just fine, and a horse always gets back to the barn even when drunk off your ass. Seent it in westerns.
I want a solid easy to work on machine that we can own for a bit. That’s all. Not saying it won’t but electronic problems are a pain. I’d miss the old lever that tells my machine what to do. Mechanical wasn’t too bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chooglin and sharp
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I want a solid easy to work on machine that we can own for a bit. That’s all. Not saying it won’t but electronic problems are a pain. I’d miss the old lever that tells my machine what to do. Mechanical wasn’t too bad.

There is still Honda Fourtrax TRX300s running around, hell a few may still be running with original oil from what I've seen.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
There is still Honda Fourtrax TRX300s running around, hell a few may still be running with original oil from what I've seen.
Ya we all know those Honda quads. Heck my kid owns my 15yo Honda250x and my wife’s Honda230f is 13yo.over 30k miles between the two All on dirt with multiple people riding them and poor maintenance, never major work done and still going strong. I don’t expect to see too many current Sxs’s floating around in 15 years. Mechanical is not a bad thing.

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
K

kukini

Sep 5, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Gladly! Just don’t ask for sight seeing and we will ride there lol.
I know you’ve been some great places too I remember the pics, we haven’t gotten around the country much because we like our little hole but we’ve been trying more. At some point I’m sure we’ll find someplace to ride together. Life is too short to not experience things, I never say never anymore!
That's a great attitude to have. Like you I like my little hole as well but there are some great places that need to be explored and I'm working towards doing so. Here's a ride I lead this year that people are lining up to have me run it again next year.

Last edited:
CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh the Talon, have no complaints, haven't driven it, or seen reliable real world comparisons. Looks good, appears well made, but nothing factual to complain about. Those that do, likely b**** about thier ice cream being cold.

First world millennial problems.

I still think you're making unfair comparisons. I think it would be more similarly compared to b****ing about your bowl of ice cream not coming with a spoon. The difference being, basically everyone would complain about your bowl of ice cream not coming with a spoon, which is something all bowls of ice cream should come with. Whereas almost no one would complain about ice cream being served too cold.

I bet the percentages are something like, 50% would like a hitch on this machine, 50% are indifferent, and 0% would specifically like it to not have a hitch. If those numbers were even remotely accurate, why not incorporate a hitch which would have cost nothing.

In general I hate complaining, as the saying goes it gets you nowhere. But in this case if we would like to affect change in the future, there's not hardly any other way to do it. I guess I could finish my engineering degree, move out of state, get lucky enough to land a job as a Honda engineer specifically for the side-by-side lineup, and then maybe have my opinions heard and possibly affect change that way, but that is pretty far-fetched.

I do agree with all your other complaints though! LOL

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It does not ever cut power. Put it to the floor and all 4 will be spinning.

I thought that's exactly what it did, to an extent? Wheel speed sensors, senses wheel slip, applies brake pressure to slipping wheel. The only thing I would agree with you is it doesn't cut power, since in theory I guess no power is really being transferred to the ground via a slipping wheel.

I think it actually sounds like a really great system for rock crawling for example. But what if I want to just get it around the corner and four-wheel drift this sum B. how will it react to that? Maybe if all four tires are slipping, it just lets them slip? Or maybe it will apply brake pressure to make all four wheels slip at the same rate? How does it know when the wheels slip is intentional or if it's trying to help you out? Or better yet, if it knows best, then why even have a two-wheel drive selection, just make it full time i4wd.

I'm not saying the system isn't great, I've never owned a driven one. But since it's my only choice in the Talon I sure hope it's awesome LOL!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!