Talon What you don't like about the Talon...

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So serious question... I know the i4wd just applies brake pressure to the slipping tire to send power to the tire that needs it. Well, what happens if both tires are slipping? I assume it lets them slip right... it better! Maybe i want a bunch of wheel spin on a hill climb, or im trying to do 4wd donuts on the frozen pond. Anybody know what happens?

It only applies braking force if one side is spinning, you can hammer down full power and spin tires no problem in I-4wd.

Reactions: sharp and Landman
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

But what if I want to just get it around the corner and four-wheel drift this sum B. how will it react to that? Maybe if all four tires are slipping, it just lets them slip?

if it knows best, then why even have a two-wheel drive selection, just make it full time i4wd.

I think due to tight turning radius it would still be hard on your yard.

I'm not saying the system isn't great, I've never owned a driven one. But since it's my only choice in the Talon I sure hope it's awesome LOL!

Just to be clear I was not an immediate fanatic of the I4wd. I was very suspicious and had a LOT of questions. I called several guys that had it and wanted to know exactly how it worked. I had a lot of the same questions and concerns you have. I wanted the looks and suspension of an LE but wasn't so sure about the i4wd. I have had it for 4 months and really like it. It is completely opposite of what happens in a regular AWD SUV. I hate those because they wont let me floor it and spin all 4 wheels.

If you want to put pedal to the floor and drift a corner it will do that. If you're climbing a slick hill and go full throttle it will do that.
3 days ago i was plowing wet heavy snow going uphill. The ground was pretty slick. I few times I had to give it full throttle, all 4 wheels were spinning and slipping, digging, leaving tracks. Basically I was doing a 4 wheel burnout on ice.

Another example is I was climbing out of a creek through quick sand and I could feel the machine pull to the side with better traction. It didn't slow me down it just applied more power to the wheel with better traction.

So think about it in terms of torque. A free spinning wheel requires less torque than the wheel that is pushing you up the hill. The machine senses this indifference and applies more power to the wheel that's pushing you. Now say the wheel that was pushing you breaks loose, the machine will continue trying to equalize the power but I believe it does so more in a way of equalizing torque and not trying to cut free wheel spin.

Reactions: sharp and Landman
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have my concerns but I haven’t bashed it. I’ve said above that I need to test it before passing judgment.

I do believe the cables are more robust than the sensors and wires. Right now that’s about all I got that I don’t like.

My fear about it that i4wd is REACTIVE. A locker is proactive. The i4wd must see slippage and then react. That slippage is lost traction. Maybe it happens so fast that it’s a non issue.

The good things are easy steering and it should save axles.

I hope to get to really test it soon and I’ll give my thoughts.

I know you weren't bashing i was commenting to CP.

When I see you at takeover lets switch machines for a few miles. Mine wont ride as nice as your fat tires but you can try out the 4wd. I was super skeptical and called a bunch of people because i wanted fox shocks but wasn't sure i wanted the i4wd. I have no complaints so far. You can take it through a few mud holes and see what ya think.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So much uninformed opinions hating on I-4WD, from people who THINK they know what it is, and no clue what it isn't. I'm not going to waste further discussion. They will only bring me down to thier level of ignorance and beat me with experience.

If you don't like it, or trust it because you fear what you don't know, that's cool, that type of thinking fuels racism for centuries. Many choices, if you don't like a particular setup buy one you do.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
My only complaint is , I'm not in the position (financial ) to buy one right now :(
You may not have to be. I want to test drive one so bad that I’m willing to go unconventional. I’m devising a plan to steal @JACKAL’s for a ride but I’ll desperately need a stash spot afterwards. Now this’ll be hard because he’s a tough ol goat, it’ll be like taking Thor’s hammer, but we’ll have a couple months to plan the attack. I’ll pm you the details.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
You may not have to be. I want to test drive one so bad that I’m willing to go unconventional. I’m devising a plan to steal @JACKAL’s for a ride but I’ll desperately need a stash spot afterwards. Now this’ll be hard because he’s a tough ol goat, it’ll be like taking Thor’s hammer, but we’ll have a couple months to plan the attack. I’ll pm you the details.

You just have to pass the 1 question test I gave you when you asked to drive my Pioneer. Still have your answer from last time.
1f9

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Lol. Did you get that meme from a democratic website?
Limited slip even being done semi/electrically just isn’t lock. It can’t possibly have the same traction. They just smartened the rig to help take driver error away. They don’t break axles as bad because they have less traction.
I understand it’s easier to steer and some positives like less tire scrub at heavy steering angle at those times I don’t usually run diff.
Technology isn’t always better for everyone. I don’t like it in my sxs but yes I get it and unfortunately I’ll have to suck it up and deal.
I’m thankful it’s not the rear wheel spin/front lock up Polaris has though. It’s impossible to build a vehicle that everyone is happy in every way. For us the Pioneer is very close to that for what we need it for so I’m happy for that.

You need to go read up on "Static" vs "Kinetic" Friction so that you can understand what "traction" really is.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You need to go read up on "Static" vs "Kinetic" Friction so that you can understand what "traction" really is.
I understand what it is. The design started way back from Mitsubishi on the Rally cars. I’ve been around things all my whole life. I don’t just by something and become an overnight expert.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Just because you own one with doesn’t mean you know more then others or are an expert. That’s like the guys that are well off enough to own a super car and get wrapped around a tree with all their “knowledge “ watch out about the ignorance statement

if some are so ignorant why did you pm them for details

I understand what it is. The design started way back from Mitsubishi on the Rally cars. I’ve been around things all my whole life. I don’t just by something and become an overnight expert.

I am specifically referring to those that are comparing it to automotive traction control, says it cuts power and cant spin tires, etc. But then say they don't own one or never ridden in one while passing off thier assumptions as fact.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
So much uninformed opinions hating on I-4WD, from people who THINK they know what it is, and no clue what it isn't. I'm not going to waste further discussion. They will only bring me down to thier level of ignorance and beat me with experience.

If you don't like it, or trust it because you fear what you don't know, that's cool, that type of thinking fuels racism for centuries. Many choices, if you don't like a particular setup buy one you do.
That same ignorance helped plan and build your electrical system you became an expert on.
All I’m saying is I like the lever in my Pioneer a lot. I like the manual control to be in whatever I choose.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
That same ignorance helped plan and build your electrical system you became an expert on.
Never claimed to be an expert, that's the marine engine supervisor dude who knows all about a machine he hasn't touched. I am simply saying..

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
All I’m saying is I like the lever in my Pioneer a lot. I like the manual control to be in whatever I choose.

Hey somebody had the be the first to taste milk, wonder what else he ate? LOL

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Hey somebody had the be the first to taste milk, wonder what else he ate? LOL
Very true.
Listen I never said I wouldn’t buy that rig based solely off of i4wd. I still may but for me I’m not happy about not having a choice like we do in Pioneer. There’s things some of us don’t like about everything. Suspension and no diff loc are my issues, suspension can be fixed. There are people that won’t buy pioneer because it’s to hot with a full cab, or tailgate not laying flat those aren’t a legit complaint! Something that can’t be easily remedied with a fan or longer cable is. And that is my opinion. Like you I’m opinionated. Most of my opinions come from experience in some way or another. I do know the Pioneer pretty damn good, there isn’t much I haven’t been into, couldn’t rely on dealer so I learned a lot. I like the system, that lever I like.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
My first thought on the I4WD lol.

I4WD Problems:
First step: Replace ecu with known good one.

4Lock Problems:
First step: Check cable adjustment.

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
My first thought on the I4WD lol.

I4WD Problems:
First step: Replace ecu with known good one.

4Lock Problems:
First step: Check cable adjustment.
My thought is , I don’t give a s*** what system anyone’s machine has, let’s just ride!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Here is the first 5 events Honda has listed for Talon demo rides, all after our Takeover. But the one 3 weeks after Takeover is 15 miles from the house. So that will be my chance to try one, unless some friends of friends from Ohio feel generous.

Screenshot 20181129 122312 Chrome

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
For all those who are complaining

View attachment 95730

Lol, I couldn’t help myself. Saw this at Fastenal today.
Damn good find, I want 6 rolls, everytime someone with brand X needs some to hold stuff a guy could say yep, he had to use Talon parts to get back in. :D

Test - Grid

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!