Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ford...eco diesel? You mean ecoboost?

I saw 2 things with the ecodiesel: the "cam gear slip" and some tossed rods. The rods were supposedly traced back to cross threaded con-rod bolts at the factory (Fix It Again Tony).
The cam sprocket bolt has a TSB, and most of the hype from that seemed to come from one person who had done youtube videos about it and a magical diesel shop in Utah that could "fix" the issues before they went. The videos failed to mention anything about what was fixed...and it seemed very deliberate in its' vagueness. He had a large number of critics to say the least, and had also been banned from some Dodge forums for whatever reason. His truck had like 140,000 miles when the cam thing happened, and was nearing 200,000 before he took his own life. Just a sad thing.

The rest, as you said, seems like normal diesel stuff to me.

But you point about price is well taken; That 3.0 is a COMPLEX little engine that can't be cheap to build. Maybe @CumminsPusher should be our guide and all go 12v.
Ford has an eco diesel in the 19 F-150.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yeah yeah same thing.
Does it really use a belt?
Please tell me it does! That way i have even more ammo in my "ford is stupid" gun.

Timing belts are happily going away in the auto world. Don't know why it makes me happy though...i've made some money off of them.

EDIT: Just confirmed that it does use a belt. SMH...

Last edited:
Reactions: Plumber32
Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
I believe for 2019 on the max tow engine they tossed the CP4 for a longer running higher flow unit. They made a big deal of it in the video on post 1 in this thread.

The "New" pump is the CP4 like the powerjoke uses, and we all know how well those are at eating injectors in the fords. the older CP3 was great pump. more flow just not as high pressure.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
advertisement
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
The "New" pump is the CP4 like the powerjoke uses, and we all know how well those are at eating injectors in the fords. the older CP3 was great pump. more flow just not as high pressure.
In another new video just about the new 2019 high output engine they called it a Bosch CP4.2 instead of just CP4 still, if it has the steel piston inside the magnesium housing it will eventually gall sending shrapnel through the fuel system.

Reactions: Plumber32
Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
i think i read somewhere the 3.0 in the chevy mid size is the same engine as dodge ecodiesel.
and the one ford is using is the same VM engine as well.
but i cant find the link right now...

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Yeah.. one of the things I will do different next round.. larger tank, max tow package, silver color and less tech and bs options I don’t use.

I had a 50 gallon titan tank on my 2012 F250 psd.

I never transferred it to the 2016 F350 PSD (stock is like 26 gal) and should have.

It only took one trip to the Black Hills in crazy wind with the camper to have my wife convinced that 8 mpg and 26 gallons = a lot of stops.

Titan tank was installed very next weekend.

D

Deleted member 3748

It

It's some sort of intangible product that keeps some peoples panties in a wad because we will all perish as a result of it but smart people know the Zombie Apocalypse will be our demise much sooner
In 1990 the Honda Civic HF was getting 43 mpg. I thought it was 49 mpg, but the internet tells me otherwise. Emissions controls have kept fuel economy basically the same or worse. Our 11 Fiesta gets 37mpg. I ask myself, if we had let technology work on fuel economy without emissions controls what kind of mpg would we see today? Would it be double, at 86 mpg? I think that is likely. Then I have to ask, did 1 gallon of fuel in a 1990 engine produce twice the emissions of a gallon of fuel today? I don't know the answer but I think it would be about the same which means we've been getting boned by buying twice as much gas as we need. Purely speculation though.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
In 1990 the Honda Civic HF was getting 43 mpg. I thought it was 49 mpg, but the internet tells me otherwise. Emissions controls have kept fuel economy basically the same or worse. Our 11 Fiesta gets 37mpg. I ask myself, if we had let technology work on fuel economy without emissions controls what kind of mpg would we see today? Would it be double, at 86 mpg? I think that is likely. Then I have to ask, did 1 gallon of fuel in a 1990 engine produce twice the emissions of a gallon of fuel today? I don't know the answer but I think it would be about the same which means we've been getting boned by buying twice as much gas as we need. Purely speculation though.
I think testing has changed and those old numbers would be lower by current standards...if your source for the HF has been updated. Seems like i remember the CRX HF getting close to 50.
To me, weight is the biggest difference now. Even small, light cars are surprisingly heavy. All the airbags, safety stuff, power stuff, etc adds up.

D

Deleted member 3748

I think testing has changed and those old numbers would be lower by current standards...if your source for the HF has been updated. Seems like i remember the CRX HF getting close to 50.
To me, weight is the biggest difference now. Even small, light cars are surprisingly heavy. All the airbags, safety stuff, power stuff, etc adds up.
Good point on the weight. Thanks for clarifying the standards... I thought for sure it was 49 mpg. I remembered it was a little better than what I was getting with my Festiva and I was seeing mpg in the mid-40s.

J

JTW

I had a 50 gallon titan tank on my 2012 F250 psd.

I never transferred it to the 2016 F350 PSD (stock is like 26 gal) and should have.

It only took one trip to the Black Hills in crazy wind with the camper to have my wife convinced that 8 mpg and 26 gallons = a lot of stops.

Titan tank was installed very next weekend.
Exactly! The small tanks are a joke!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!