2019 RAM HD 1000 lbs./ft. torque 35k towing

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My wife’s BMW X5 diesel gets mid 30’s and is awd. For a “full size” suv it’s hard to beat. Has plenty of pep and is comfortable. I’ve towed the Honda with it once and it does fine but it’s no 3/4 truck. When I was truck shopping the salesmen (that sold dodge and ford) told me if I was going to tow anything stay away from the 1/2 ton diesels (both brands) he recommended the hemi and the ecoboost. I drove both and really liked both. It came down to me and the bad taste I had in my mouth from my earlier dodge and their resale value compared to the ford. I love my ecoboost. For a half ton it’s a beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My wife’s BMW X5 diesel gets mid 30’s and is awd. For a “full size” suv it’s hard to beat. Has plenty of pep and is comfortable. I’ve towed the Honda with it once and it does fine but it’s no 3/4 truck. When I was truck shopping the salesmen (that sold dodge and ford) told me if I was going to tow anything stay away from the 1/2 ton diesels (both brands) he recommended the hemi and the ecoboost. I drove both and really liked both. It came down to me and the bad taste I had in my mouth from my earlier dodge and their resale value compared to the ford. I love my ecoboost. For a half ton it’s a beast.

I'd go to a half ton again. I'm just not sure how it would handle a 24' enclosed. But it would be better for everyday usage.

D

Deleted member 3748

I don't know how he could know much about the F150 diesel... it hasn't been around that long. Maybe that's why he says to stay away. I know everyone loves that Eco-boost. The only thing I don't like about it is the sound. It has no rumble.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't know how he could know much about the F150 diesel... it hasn't been around that long. Maybe that's why he says to stay away. I know everyone loves that Eco-boost. The only thing I don't like about it is the sound. It has no rumble.
And the interior is lacking for the price. Especially the limited. Put the EcoBoost in the ram. Ding ding. Even though the hemi is no slouch. The eco is tough to beat.

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
J

JTW

I'd go to a half ton again. I'm just not sure how it would handle a 24' enclosed. But it would be better for everyday usage.
thats what I would like to know... I’m guessing mileage goes to s*** but that an ecoboost would handle it fine

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: sharp and Plumber32
D

Deleted member 3748

And the interior is lacking for the price. Especially the limited. Put the EcoBoost in the ram. Ding ding. Even though the hemi is no slouch. The eco is tough to beat.
The interior? Are you my wife? :D My F150 has a stick to shift between 2WD, 4WD, and 4LOW. I have a vinyl floor... I wouldn't have it any other way. My Silverado is all fancy and girly... it may even have curtains, I forget, :D

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The interior? Are you my wife? :D My F150 has a stick to shift between 2WD, 4WD, and 4LOW. I have a vinyl floor... I wouldn't have it any other way. My Silverado is all fancy and girly... it may even have curtains, I forget, :D
My trips are 600+ miles. It helps on the trip home!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I’m not sure why rigs don’t get better mileage?!? We gain 3x technology every 18 months now. In 95 I had a 93 corolla I bought for a 300 mile per direction trip. It averaged 38-40. New Corolla advertises the exact same. Yes it’s a little heavier with a little more power but that was 25 years ago!! Technology wise it’s 100’s of Years! Wtf!?!
My 25 yo truck is over 600 on a tank with plenty left over. And half that in town? Apparently we’re blind or it just can’t be done? Wow cell phones have sure gotten way better since the 90’s.
DC2C288A 101A 40F6 870B 738BE7190EE4

If people don’t think that has something to do with the wealthy fuel companies paying the auto manufacturers and government off then I don’t know what to say. Bragging about 30-40 in a new car shouldnt be something that’s done, we should be b****ing that someone is holding 200-300 mpg back. It’s f***ing nuts to me. Money makes money and the gas companies are about the wealthiest.

Last edited:
advertisement
J

JTW

I’m not sure why rigs don’t get better mileage?!? We gain 3x technology every 18 months now. In 95 I had a 93 corolla I bought for a 300 mile per direction trip. It averaged 38-40. New Corolla advertises the exact same. Yes it’s a little heavier with a little more power but that was 25 years ago!! Technology wise it’s 100’s of Years! Wtf!?!
My 25 yo truck is over 600 on a tank with plenty left over. And half that in town? Apparently we’re blind or it just can’t be done? Wow cell phones have sure gotten way better since the 90’s. View attachment 102873
If people don’t think that has something to do with the wealthy fuel companies paying the auto manufacturers and government off then I don’t know what to say. Bragging about 30-40 in a new car shouldnt be something that’s done, we should be b****ing that someone is holding 200-300 mpg back. It’s f***ing nuts to me. Money makes money and the gas companies are about the wealthiest.
There is some truth there but in terms of physics it’s going to take so much energy to move an object of X mass.. there’s a point where it doesn’t matter what you do... this is what it takes. I’m not a physics expert but I’m not sure that all things being optimal that combustion can get you efficient enough to get those numbers. As far as I know... a train is as efficient as we’ve got in terms of a combustion engine. I guess a cargo ship could be more so but trying to think in terms of wheels

J

JTW

Not the sway my friend. It's a 1500 still.
Yes.. that’s my point. I think the motor would pull it fine... it’s the suspension and weight that makes me wonder. Im guessing the soft coil springs will be what f***s with you the most.

Reactions: Plumber32
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Actually that 6 cylendar diesel in the F150 has ben out for years in ford Europe. They had to change it a lot for our crazy emissions standards. That said, it’s ben an option since 15 in the full size Trasit van. I have 2 guys from generator companies I’ve gone to certifications with and love them. 2 years ago one had over 140k and no issues. Like @Plumber32 said, on my long trips I like the luxury of my Platinum. You’ve ben it...and I think you liked those heated seats if I can remember? Lol

Last edited:
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
I like girly trucks, avalanche ride like a buick like they all do and I get 600 range with 30+gal and 20+ unloaded mileage before the cly deactivation that doesn't really change anything. I wish chev would come out with a half ton diesel I believe the mid truck was the only one and its useless in towing and hauling. would be a lot nicer to get high 20s from a truck but I'm not buying any other brand

Reactions: Plumber32
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
I think I’ve been told that fuel efficiency from csx is a little bogus. They use diesel to power their electric generators which power the train. Info came from a guy who worked for csx.
technically charge batteries banks like hybrid cars. the charging is the most efficient use of the fuel because its one rpm at a lower level over longer time and moving the train with motors and batteries is the most efficient, its all low end torque at low speeds

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I said before, I live very close to the Chrysler proving grounds. I blocked out the manufacturer plate. This is just some of the stuff I see. Most of the ones I see are broken down on 94 getting loaded to a flat bed . I know there testing, but it dosnt help my confidence especially seeing the ones broke down on the side of the road. Lol
E2ED907F 23DB 4C0B 984E E28E016B9224

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I said before, I live very close to the Chrysler proving grounds. I blocked out the manufacturer plate. This is just some of the stuff I see. Most of the ones I see are broken down on 94 getting loaded to a flat bed . I know there testing, but it dosnt help my confidence especially seeing the ones broke down on the side of the road. LolView attachment 102880
Not to favor dodge but I bet if you saw the Honda proving grounds and the damage their staff of highly trained @CumminsPusher s can do I doubt you’d have faith in Honda either.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Not to favor dodge but I bet if you saw the Honda proving grounds and the damage their staff of highly trained @CumminsPusher s can do I doubt you’d have faith in Honda either.
Lol that’s true! But isn’t his self inflicted? LMAO. Now with dodge , It’s all the breakdowns I see That bother me haha. I’m sure it’s the same if I lived near Romeo at the Ford PG’s or the GM PG’s. One of these days I’ll get a pic of that. I had one of the jeep Wrangler pick up in my sites a few weeks ago with the bra and camo wrap with the hood up on the shoulder of the Eway and what I would suppose the engineer with his hands in his hips looking at it, As I approached, another car got to my right side so I missed the pic.

Reactions: sharp and Plumber32
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!