Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
As a current ram owner, I have a 95 12v 5speed with over 300k, early 04 auto with 266k, deleted 08 g56, 200k. Zero issues. New balljoints, but trans and truck is amazing.
That said I won't own a 19, the cp4 is junk.
They have so much software running the truck, it could have 2000 torque, the computer will nevsr let you have it.
Hello fellow 12v owner.

Reactions: Killer223 and sharp
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
We about didn’t make it pulling that bus when truck rear end got light.
Had another problem once in my lifted Dodge with an improperly balanced trailer that I’m not sure how we pulled back straight. I now pay pretty good attention to things!
hauled a million thing with a bunch of trucks, for work and personal stuff. I never tow with big tires or lift, its like being on a balloon balancing an elephant. seems to be what everybody does, had to get rid of 20s on my current ave too. really pointless and handle terrible. also never going to deal with 3/4 ton and 1 ton ride and milage on a truck I drive all the time, all that matters is truck weight, suspension and brakes. the chev half ton is all id buy but factory is way to light to tow anything safely. air lift bags and kyb shocks really settle it down and with the onboard pump you can dial it in to the load, I haul my 30h tractor with 1500 lb brush mower, car, 33ft camper, quads, avalanche and Yukon I had before, ride good rest of the time not hauling anything which is 90 percent of the time you use a vehicle.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
hauled a million thing with a bunch of trucks, for work and personal stuff. I never tow with big tires or lift, its like being on a balloon balancing an elephant. seems to be what everybody does, had to get rid of 20s on my current ave too. really pointless and handle terrible. also never going to deal with 3/4 ton and 1 ton ride and milage on a truck I drive all the time, all that matters is truck weight, suspension and brakes. the chev half ton is all id buy but factory is way to light to tow anything safely. air lift bags and kyb shocks really settle it down and with the onboard pump you can dial it in to the load, I haul my 30h tractor with 1500 lb brush mower, car, 33ft camper, quads, avalanche and Yukon I had before, ride good rest of the time not hauling anything which is 90 percent of the time you use a vehicle.

I absolutely 100% have never lifted a truck or bought specifically because it was. Even though a slight lift looks good imo it fails slightly as a useful rig. I’m not the type that needs a lift to make up for something lol!
We bought the ‘98 12v because even though the truck had over 300k it was a solid truck with no rust and been taken care of,98 is the hardest year to get ahold of reasonably, it’s the last year of the 12v and it’s got 4 doors and a host of other goods the previous years didn’t, the next year is 24v and not as good a truck due to electrical components to the engine so it’s worth considerably less. It came lifted but was done right, I was ALWAYS planning to reverse the lift but hadn’t got around to it.
My new 93 12v 5-speed is not the same issue lol. I’ve always owned 4x4 but after owning and using a lifted rig for what we do I actually stepped back and bought 2x4. It’ll suck occasionally but 90% of the time it’ll be superior to a 4x4 for towing and being loaded up.
Mileage went screaming up, same running gear but it’ll be 25MPG instead of 20MPG, and be cheaper to maintain. We don’t need a 100k truck to look good, it just needs to get us to the woods without the 10-20k repair bill some are content to pay. Not to mention it’s a heavy duty truck for only 4K investment, I’m a happy camper.
We currently have THAT GUY in the shop now, kills me everytime I look at people’s stuff, this is 9ft wide lol. No we use our stuff not my type of thing, and Dodge guys get s*** for mirrors lol
6F9FE79F 63C6 4831 865E 222118B58785
CAD68652 F06C 4857 ABAC 1EA55D3201D2

Last edited:
Reactions: Tigermark
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Well my 93 doesn’t have flip out mirrors. I guess I’m out of the cool crowd lmao. Better buy myself a Chev or Ford so they can remain slid out without repercussions:eek:
I was always a Chevy guy until the government bailout, then the quality of the vehicle went down and the price skyrocketed. I decided to give Ram a try and purchased a 1500 with the 5.7 liter Hemi. Loved it , had zero issues with it. I did lift it and installed larger tires. Nothing crazy, 2.5in in front and 1in in the rear. This leveled the truck and I really liked the look! It did drop my mileage about 2mpg though. When we decided to get a tow hauler we moved up to a 2500 Cummins Ram. I’ve had zero issues with this one also. Comparable trucks with the same equipment from Ford and Chevy were 8-10 grand more than I paid.

Now I use it for commercial towing. It rides great, has all the power I need in stock form and is fuel efficient! From what I’ve observed living and working out west is the vast majority who tow commercially use Ram trucks.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I was always a Chevy guy until the government bailout, then the quality of the vehicle went down and the price skyrocketed. I decided to give Ram a try and purchased a 1500 with the 5.7 liter Hemi. Loved it , had zero issues with it. I did lift it and installed larger tires. Nothing crazy, 2.5in in front and 1in in the rear. This leveled the truck and I really liked the look! It did drop my mileage about 2mpg though. When we decided to get a tow hauler we moved up to a 2500 Cummins Ram. I’ve had zero issues with this one also. Comparable trucks with the same equipment from Ford and Chevy were 8-10 grand more than I paid.

Now I use it for commercial towing. It rides great, has all the power I need in stock form and is fuel efficient! From what I’ve observed living and working out west is the vast majority who tow commercially use Ram trucks.
Cummins is a lot more common here then back east. And Toyota for smaller trucks. I guess we value dependability over what’s on the grill from your grandfathers teachings more here.

advertisement
Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Cummins is a lot more common here then back east. And Toyota for smaller trucks. I guess we value dependability over what’s on the grill from your grandfathers teachings more here.
That ain’t no lie. Toyota Tacoma’s are everywhere! Another hot spot I observed for Ram trucks is NWA and Missouri.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here it’s the “cool kids” spending daddy’s money on chevies and GMs. The working trucks are all Ford and Ram.

Our company fleet went to all Ford across the entire North and South American continents a few years ago because Chevy was too expensive to maintain (including down time for recalls). From what I understand it was a neck and neck cost race between Ford and Ram until they added in the fleet cars and Ford had a lower maintenance cost for the cars.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Here it’s the “cool kids” spending daddy’s money on chevies and GMs. The working trucks are all Ford and Ram.

Our company fleet went to all Ford across the entire North and South American continents a few years ago because Chevy was too expensive to maintain (including down time for recalls). From what I understand it was a neck and neck cost race between Ford and Ram until they added in the fleet cars and Ford had a lower maintenance cost for the cars.
One of the largest fleet companies here runs pretty much nothing but 94-98 Cummins. They have a bunch, we maintain the body and paint. He’ll buy them and go through the truck then put into service. Including paint, all new bearings, joints, tires and service he says no more usually then 6k and it’ll go forever without fail. Not bad to have a dependable service truck that gets good mileage for well under 20.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One of the largest fleet companies here runs pretty much nothing but 94-98 Cummins. They have a bunch, we maintain the body and paint. He’ll buy them and go through the truck then put into service. Including paint, all new bearings, joints, tires and service he says no more usually then 6k and it’ll go forever without fail. Not bad to have a dependable service truck that gets good mileage for well under 20.

They bought 7500 new vehicles last spring, just in US for replacement and upgrades. I’m positive the sale price is below 20k for a service truck. Invoice on my company car was 10,400 for a 2018 Fusion. Sticker is around 22,500.

Buying power makes a difference and a guaranteed factory service income probably helps too.

They looked at historical data for what they had and part of that showed that hybrids even with tax deductions not only cost more up front but also cost more in fuel. So no more hybrids.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
They bought 7500 new vehicles last spring, just in US for replacement and upgrades. I’m positive the sale price is below 20k for a service truck. Invoice on my company car was 10,400 for a 2018 Fusion. Sticker is around 22,500.

Buying power makes a difference and a guaranteed factory service income probably helps too.

They looked at historical data for what they had and part of that showed that hybrids even with tax deductions not only cost more up front but also cost more in fuel. So no more hybrids.
Wouldn’t be under 20 for 4x4 diesel with extra cab and a good tow rating. That is what they run.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
the ford and dodges we had at work had all kinds of issues, they were all gas 2500. the dodges all have this bcm that gets crapped up with salt and dirt and cost 1k dealer only fix plus they leak every fluid, I got to take care of my inlaws hemi dodge and ask me how many axles seals wheel bearings lifters/cam this junk has had done before even 75k. the only dodge I might consider would be before 2000 but those are gold around here most are work trucks that get eat up by the salt. only truck that last around here are undercoated they might last ten years or so after that

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
the ford and dodges we had at work had all kinds of issues, they were all gas 2500. the dodges all have this bcm that gets crapped up with salt and dirt and cost 1k dealer only fix plus they leak every fluid, I got to take care of my inlaws hemi dodge and ask me how many axles seals wheel bearings lifters/cam this junk has had done before even 75k. the only dodge I might consider would be before 2000 but those are gold around here most are work trucks that get eat up by the salt. only truck that last around here are undercoated they might last ten years or so after that
Ya I wouldn’t touch the old gassers as I like dependability and couldn’t go back to single digits for towing. 20 suits me just fine lol.
Road salt is used here too. You gotta look around a little when buying something older, cars that were washed frequently and didn’t have mud caked up underneath hold up good.
And yes the pre 03 models especially pre 99 are gold in price but there is a reason, and the right years actually increase in value so that’s a good thing. I’ve sold 4 older Cummins and one more shortly and always MADE money after owning the pickup. Even with any repairs included I’ve never lost money on ownership on a 1st or 2nd gen Dodge. Not many can say that.

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Until recently I didn't know how far ahead in sales the F150 is over the competition. I always thought it was close.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2019/01/04/ram-trucks-chevy-silverado
That’s partially because “f” series is everything sold. It’s from half ton all the way up to semis, it’s referenced as the complete line. Some of the other companies have various names for different trim, models, weight capacity and divisions. Every Ford truck sold including big flatbed semi is an F series.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!