Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
The new JTW lol
You will never see my puppy hairless. Plus I can drive without flipping or breaking an axle every third hour.
FB IMG 1653526796756

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Forgot about that! That was like in 17'

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yatzee!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I won't name names but between the PNW legend shenanigans and Smitty335 in 2016-17 we had a PM group drinking game.

A screenshot of my transgressions:

View attachment 335897
I heard a little something about that🤣 we’ve all done stupid s***🤷🏻‍♂️

K

kukini

Sep 5, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I saw the follow statement posted on a youtube channel.

"The engine intake scoop is positioned behind the front passenger door for effective reduction of dust reaching the air filter, allowing stronger performance, improved durability and reduced maintenance."

I find this interesting and seems like a solid improvement as the Talon is being considered for my next SxS against the Wolverine Rmax next year.

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I saw the follow statement posted on a youtube channel.

"The engine intake scoop is positioned behind the front passenger door for effective reduction of dust reaching the air filter, allowing stronger performance, improved durability and reduced maintenance."

I find this interesting and seems like a solid improvement as the Talon is being considered for my next SxS against the Wolverine Rmax next year. With the new 65" 2000lb limit in Maine, the Talon offers a bit more lee-way than the Wolvy.
I think that's where they've always been and good in theory. Lil_Steve's new to him Talon at Sand Hollow.
I gZ8LJpB XL

The problem is that the inner fender liner isn't sealed and a s*** tonne of dust gets in around its perimeter.
I ChDXMrx XL

What it looks like behind that liner - :oops: and why the stock filter is good for 200-600 miles. Photo thx to @Lil_Steve
I JxZSRKM X2

A pretty good solution, details linked in my sig, including part numbers, thanks to Hondabob.
I gXGK7GX XL

My original filter at 6067 miles and still in use -
I LSPwSKC XL

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I think that's where they've always been and good in theory. Lil_Steve's new to him Talon at Sand Hollow.
View attachment 336821

The problem is that the inner fender liner isn't sealed and a s*** tonne of dust gets in around its perimeter.
View attachment 336822

What it looks like behind that liner - :oops: and why the stock filter is good for 200-600 miles. Photo thx to @Lil_Steve
View attachment 336823

A pretty good solution, details linked in my sig, including part numbers, thanks to Hondabob.
View attachment 336824

My original filter at 6067 miles and still in use -
View attachment 336825
This is how the UNI is designed to be ran.
Those guy's who are installing them backwards are being blinded.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
This is how the UNI is designed to be ran.
Those guy's who are installing them backwards are being blinded.
And you still have to disassemble the persnickety airbox to check/clean it; the whole point of Hondabob's snorkel idea - out in the open, a 5 minute R&R if you have a spare Uni. Cut the 3" hole in a nonstructural body panel and live happily ever after.

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
And you still have to disassemble the persnickety airbox to check/clean it; the whole point of Hondabob's snorkel idea - out in the open, a 5 minute R&R if you have a spare Uni. Cut the 3" hole in a nonstructural body panel and live happily ever after.
If my (massively flawed) memory serves, quite some time back you had a situation where fine dust was apparently getting through the factory filter. You were going to make sure the o-rings were suitably gooey with grease before reassembling, all good now? I get evidence of dust on the clean side, can't identify a failure other than through the filter. Deja vu.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
If my (massively flawed) memory serves, quite some time back you had a situation where fine dust was apparently getting through the factory filter. You were going to make sure the o-rings were suitably gooey with grease before reassembling, all good now? I get evidence of dust on the clean side, can't identify a failure other than through the filter. Deja vu.
You remember correctly, Dan. I'm sorry you're still finding dust on the second Talon, that SUCKS big time (like you don't already know that). Have you contacted your dealer to get it on record that it's leaking? If you talked to the same dealer about the other Talon, they're probably unresponsive to you now. :( Have you checked the airhorn clamps down at the throttle bodies? I know you know, mostly bringing it up for others' attention

The rest of the story -
I was trying to avoid unloading and removing the TSC box in the bed, more trouble than I 'thought' it was worth. So I crawled between the seats and worked from there, awkward to say the least. I also ignored how dirty everything was under the airbox body panel.

Soooooo, I undid all the clips and removed the filthy airbox lid. It's a tight fit and hanging between the seats didn't help - I lightly bumped the cover trying to work it out but didn't think about that until tearing everything apart, looking for the leak. Well, I'm pretty sure I dislodged some dirt that dropped directly onto the air horns on the clean side when I bumped the lid. That's the dust I was chasing caused by my own laziness. I did reassemble the lid with grease the next two times I removed it for a filter check but don't 'think' it's necessary. Make no mistake, it IS a good safety measure, it's just really messy. The dust I found was only around the airhorns, not the entire clean side surface and it's been clean on subsequent checkings.

The next time I was in there, I took the time to hose off the entire area under the body cover. It looked like this before the hosing. I was also very careful to NOT bump the cover when removing it. I sure hope you can find what's going on with yours.
I kP7SpPc XL

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
:(:(:(You remember correctly, Dan. I'm sorry you're still finding dust on the second Talon, that SUCKS big time (like you don't already know that). Have you contacted your dealer to get it on record that it's leaking? If you talked to the same dealer about the other Talon, they're probably unresponsive to you now. :( Have you checked the airhorn clamps down at the throttle bodies? I know you know, mostly bringing it up for others' attention

The rest of the story -
I was trying to avoid unloading and removing the TSC box in the bed, more trouble than I 'thought' it was worth. So I crawled between the seats and worked from there, awkward to say the least. I also ignored how dirty everything was under the airbox body panel.

Soooooo, I undid all the clips and removed the filthy airbox lid. It's a tight fit and hanging between the seats didn't help - I lightly bumped the cover trying to work it out but didn't think about that until tearing everything apart, looking for the leak. Well, I'm pretty sure I dislodged some dirt that dropped directly onto the air horns on the clean side when I bumped the lid. That's the dust I was chasing caused by my own laziness. I did reassemble the lid with grease the next two times I removed it for a filter check but don't 'think' it's necessary. Make no mistake, it IS a good safety measure, it's just really messy. The dust I found was only around the airhorns, not the entire clean side surface and it's been clean on subsequent checkings.

The next time I was in there, I took the time to hose off the entire area under the body cover. It looked like this before the hosing. I was also very careful to NOT bump the cover when removing it. I sure hope you can find what's going on with yours.
View attachment 336871
My blood pressure won't allow me to talk to my local dealer, at about 2000 miles i had a guy who i believe to be very conscientious check the valves largely in the belief that he would make sure the tubes "and stuff" were properly assembled on the air box. If he missed something i don't see it, believing this talcum powder like dust is going through the filter. Nuff thread hi jacking for now

Reactions: Backwoods
A

a94cobra

Dec 28, 2021
TX
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
I'm curious if the new dash location can easily be retrofitted to the 21 model.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!