HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
In all seriousness though, I think this would be a cool thread to share what does and doesn't work when venturing out on the Pioneer for anything more than a day ride. Whether it be storage, tools, clothing, camping gear, recovery gear, etc. I for one enjoy checking out the pictures of the gear and setups guys have used on the few overland threads that have come and gone.

J

JTW

In all seriousness though, I think this would be a cool thread to share what does and doesn't work when venturing out on the Pioneer for anything more than a day ride. Whether it be storage, tools, clothing, camping gear, recovery gear, etc. I for one enjoy checking out the pictures of the gear and setups guys have used on the few overland threads that have come and gone.
That was the point... gear, systems and setups. Trying to get us an overland section and just trying to start collecting some content.

J

JTW

Just finished it. I was really disappointed I didn't get to see your trailer, but I did like the schematic you drew up for it! I'm still confused as to if that whole thread was a running joke or if it was real...
No it was real... the guy that was the brain child wasn’t one to follow through with things. Once @Montecresto pulled out of going (some assholes scared him off) there was no organization or follow through and it just withered away. To me it sounded like a horrible trip riding blacktop and roadside ditches for 2000 miles.

J

JTW

That's what I was thinking the entire time I was reading it.
The premise is cool and with the right route and proper planning it could be done.. it just wasn’t for me. I think mine and @Kilo427 next trip to Moab is going to be a 5 day true overland adventure.
This last trip him, Richard and I did a couple nights out. It was great! The biggest issue we faced was it was just the 3 of us in 2 machines. It’s hard to get too serious when you can’t share enough of the load. That’s one of the disadvantages to using a sxs for overlanding. Particularly, when you prefer the type of terrain we do. This last trip we found ourselves passing up some good riding because self recovery in some of the areas we were in was just no good. That’s what’s awesome about our fall overland ride with the bigger group.

J

JTW

A730E1CA 2302 47B6 B321 4B52629E4B07
6ABBA4DA 2ED0 401A BF41 6D9F4AD8AB4F
168DF20A C6D7 4218 8D46 4F10FF1109DE

Hammock setups for overland riding are an awesome way to shelter... here’s part of my setup. Several have gone this route now and I don’t know of anyone that’s not been satisfied! Hammock gear is truly one of those but once cry once items... I’ve tried various components and this truly is one of those things you’ll see and feel a difference in when you go at it 100%.

HAMMOCK- awesome and super comfortable!
American Made Hammock | Blackbird XLC | Warbonnet Outdoors

TARP- good full coverage tarp with doors
Superfly Tarp

UNDER QUILT- one of 2 and the best for the war bonnet hammock system
Full Length Hammock Underquilt | Wooki Underquilt | Warbonnet Outdoors

TOP QUILT- 3 I have depending on weather.
Drop: Passions lead here (formerly Massdrop)

Thermodown 30 Down Quilt

Thermodown 15 Down Quilt

PILLOW- I’ve tired 4 and this is my favorite
Down Pillow

Last edited by a moderator:
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Let's not all become Snow Peak addicts...those guys are tweaky...

Check these guys out. They make phenomenal overloading stoves from aluminum. They can be custom ordered to fit your individual needs and are even used by river rafters on long trips. I have one. I highly recommend their quality! They're manufactured in Pocatello Idaho
Partner Steel Co.
Cook Partner | Partner Steel Co.

advertisement
J

JTW

Let's not all become Snow Peak addicts...those guys are tweaky...

Check these guys out. They make phenomenal overloading stoves from aluminum. They can be custom ordered to fit your individual needs and are even used by river rafters on long trips. I have one. I highly recommend their quality! They're manufactured in Pocatello Idaho
Partner Steel Co.
Cook Partner | Partner Steel Co.
Nice stove... but at $400 and given the size. Why not just buy a Coleman stove for $50. There’s only so much room in the bed of a Honda.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
It all looks fantastic. I've done a bit of backpacking in my younger days and aspire to do some more before I depart this planet. I've also done some motorcycle adventuring (sold my BMW R1200 GSA to buy the Talon - only motorcycle I now own is a lowly KLR650) and I've got a butt-load of lightweight gear to that end, so gearing up is not an issue for me. Nonetheless, I don't believe the Talon is the appropriate vehicle for such extended tours. As fun as it is, there is simply not enough cargo capacity in that machine. I feel like I've loaded it to the gills already and am looking for economical solutions to increase that capacity without sacrificing handling characteristics (too much). If money were no object I'd likely have a more utility-oriented sxs too. But, money is an object, so.........

Honestly, I love the idea, but frankly, I've never been a cold-stoned, devil-may-care, throw caution to the wind type hard-core off-roader. And, as I've grown older the thought of pushing myself and my equipment to the brink just doesn't have the appeal that it once did. I'm not sedentary or completely risk-averse, mind you. I'm just trying to be realistic about what I can and can't do these days.

So, riding the Alpine Loop out of Silverton, CO with many of you will likely be the highlight of my *adventuring* this year. I intend to have my machine equipped to handle almost any possibility for those base-centered day loops.

Who knows? Perhaps things will change someday whereby I'll be inclined to jump off the edge again, but that day is certainly not today. Meanwhile, I'll just live my dreams vicariously through you hooligans, so don't let me down. :D:D:D

Steve

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice stove... but at $400 and given the size. Why not just buy a Coleman stove for $50. There’s only so much room in the bed of a Honda.
I paid $200 for mine. But you're right except the Partner ones run on propane

Reactions: JTW
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It all looks fantastic. I've done a bit of backpacking in my younger days and aspire to do some more before I depart this planet. I've also done some motorcycle adventuring (sold my BMW R1200 GSA to buy the Talon - only motorcycle I now own is a lowly KLR650) and I've got a butt-load of lightweight gear to that end, so gearing up is not an issue for me. Nonetheless, I don't believe the Talon is the appropriate vehicle for such extended tours. As fun as it is, there is simply not enough cargo capacity in that machine. I feel like I've loaded it to the gills already and am looking for economical solutions to increase that capacity without sacrificing handling characteristics (too much). If money were no object I'd likely have a more utility-oriented sxs too. But, money is an object, so.........

Honestly, I love the idea, but frankly, I've never been a cold-stoned, devil-may-care, throw caution to the wind type hard-core off-roader. And, as I've grown older the thought of pushing myself and my equipment to the brink just doesn't have the appeal that it once did. I'm not sedentary or completely risk-averse, mind you. I'm just trying to be realistic about what I can and can't do these days.

So, riding the Alpine Loop out of Silverton, CO with many of you will likely be the highlight of my *adventuring* this year. I intend to have my machine equipped to handle almost any possibility for those base-centered day loops.

Who knows? Perhaps things will change someday whereby I'll be inclined to jump off the edge again, but that day is certainly not today. Meanwhile, I'll just live my dreams vicariously through you hooligans, so don't let me down. :D:D:D

Steve
I think you can still be successful in a talon on one of these trips if only one person in the talon... you mention backpacking so your obviously familiar with getting gear down to the absolute min. After that preparing for incidents that might happen on the trail is the biggest thing. That is where knowing your vehicle and what is prone to break or need adjustment is really important and managing your risk - do you need to take the hardest trail fully loaded down. With planning it can be done - riding with at least 1 or 2 other like machines is always good so that you can split and ride specific parts.

Really the big space take up is the cooler and people trying to fit 3-4 days worth of beer in. If you can cut that out/down you gain back a lot of space

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 176787 View attachment 176788 View attachment 176789

Hammock setups for overland riding are an awesome way to shelter... here’s part of my setup. Several have gone this route now and I don’t know of anyone that’s not been satisfied! Hammock gear is truly one of those but once cry once items... I’ve tried various components and this truly is one of those things you’ll see and feel a difference in when you go at it 100%.

HAMMOCK- awesome and super comfortable!
American Made Hammock | Blackbird XLC | Warbonnet Outdoors

TARP- good full coverage tarp with doors
Superfly Tarp

UNDER QUILT- one of 2 and the best for the war bonnet hammock system
Full Length Hammock Underquilt | Wooki Underquilt | Warbonnet Outdoors

TOP QUILT- 3 I have depending on weather.
Drop: Passions lead here (formerly Massdrop)

Thermodown 30 Down Quilt

Thermodown 15 Down Quilt

PILLOW- I’ve tired 4 and this is my favorite
Down Pillow
Warbonnet usually has ales a couple times a year as well - so you just have to watch

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I think you can still be successful in a talon on one of these trips if only one person in the talon... you mention backpacking so your obviously familiar with getting gear down to the absolute min. After that preparing for incidents that might happen on the trail is the biggest thing. That is where knowing your vehicle and what is prone to break or need adjustment is really important and managing your risk - do you need to take the hardest trail fully loaded down. With planning it can be done - riding with at least 1 or 2 other like machines is always good so that you can split and ride specific parts.

Really the big space take up is the cooler and people trying to fit 3-4 days worth of beer in. If you can cut that out/down you gain back a lot of space

I've got most of the self-extraction, tools and need-to-have items on board already. Arguably, with the use of drybags I can pretty much handle any day trip (with enough emergency supplies to overnight if necessary). Can the machine handle two-, three- or more days out back? Probably, but I still wouldn't consider the Talon to be the preferred expedition machine.

Although the Talon is my first sxs, I've got lots of experience with ATV's and some with offroad motorcycling. I have a pretty honed Spidy-sense regarding my limitations (doesn't mean I don't push the limits from time to time). I will have my wife with me on the Silverton trip and have previously run those passes in 4x4 pickups/SUV's. The more rigorous stuff between the three major passes? Probably not, as that's just not the kind of thing my wife prefers, and I want this trip to be enjoyable to her first and foremost - priming the pump so to speak for future adventures.

Steve

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
...Really the big space take up is the cooler and people trying to fit 3-4 days worth of beer in. If you can cut that out/down you gain back a lot of space

We've pared the cooler needs down to a single, soft-sided 30-can unit. That, along with a couple of Rigid boxes gets me most of what I need for any day trip. Here's a pic.

20190716 053321

Steve

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!