Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think you can still be successful in a talon on one of these trips if only one person in the talon... you mention backpacking so your obviously familiar with getting gear down to the absolute min. After that preparing for incidents that might happen on the trail is the biggest thing. That is where knowing your vehicle and what is prone to break or need adjustment is really important and managing your risk - do you need to take the hardest trail fully loaded down. With planning it can be done - riding with at least 1 or 2 other like machines is always good so that you can split and ride specific parts.

Really the big space take up is the cooler and people trying to fit 3-4 days worth of beer in. If you can cut that out/down you gain back a lot of space
Yeah it should be enjoyable too. Easy to sleep in 20deg weather or cold rain if you got half a jag on lol. Sober makes you not want to do it again or run off after the first night like a few did the first trip.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just finished it. I was really disappointed I didn't get to see your trailer, but I did like the schematic you drew up for it! I'm still confused as to if that whole thread was a running joke or if it was real...

I tell my wife I have lots of great ideas and never enough time lol. I dont ever recall actually saying I'd go but somehow I got thrown Into the mix. Then the cross eyed bandit and the liberal stay at home husband got into a pissing match about planning and what not. I think both were looking for reasons not to go so the wheels fell off the wagon pretty quick.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yeah it should be enjoyable too. Easy to sleep in 20deg weather or cold rain if you got half a jag on lol. Sober makes you not want to do it again or run off after the first night like a few did the first trip.

After being in manitoba this last week and it was -35. Everything else should be easy.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I tell my wife I have lots of great ideas and never enough time lol. I dont ever recall actually saying I'd go but somehow I got thrown Into the mix. Then the cross eyed bandit and the liberal stay at home husband got into a pissing match about planning and what not. I think both were looking for reasons not to go so the wheels fell off the wagon pretty quick.
Yeah when the pressure set in on mopar and the easy part was over shat hit the fan, he created drama to create an out.

MuDSlinger

MuDSlinger

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2019
Richland, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just a little place to start collecting overlanding content.. all things overlanding are welcome!

Maybe you’re wonder what overlanding is..
What is Overlanding :: Overland Journal

Overlanding 101: What It Is and How to Get Started - OnAllCylinders
Where I hate
Just a little place to start collecting overlanding content.. all things overlanding are welcome!

Maybe you’re wonder what overlanding is..
What is Overlanding :: Overland Journal

Overlanding 101: What It Is and How to Get Started - OnAllCylinders
HUMM, sounds like a lot of what we did growing up hunting....

advertisement
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I mentioned before, I have gone on overnight motorcycle camping trips and that was fun. I had big plans to go on a 2 week trip on my Vstrom 650 when I had it. I outfitted it with everything needed to handle any kind of road and light off roading. Spent a bunch of money on the bike. My buddy that was going with me backed out on the trip, then another backed out. Then I decided to sell the bike. I ended up getting another Vstrom, an old 1000 this time, but i doubt i'll go the same route with this bike. But, a lot of the compact/light camping gear would work for either a SxS trip or a bike trip. So maybe i'll begin accumulating some things and do a couple overnights in 2020. Definitely will start small and cheap. If it becomes my favorite thing ever, I can start throwing money at it. Trouble is I never get any time off of work anymore. 6 days every week, and I get anxiety about taking off because stuff doesn't get done right, or at all.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have seen a RRT-roof top tent, on a Sxs before but, I'd think that'd be too top heavy and I like to have too much fun! I've seen vids and at Cabela's, aluminum trailers made to be towed by ATV's. They're not cheap and unless you're doing many of the trips, I just don't see buying one. Otherwise, mounting a RTT on an ATV trailer seems legit to a degree. I've become too comfortable with the camper to really ever consider going back to a tent, unless I absolutely had to. Hammocks, for me are either too short or just too uncomfortable for me to sleep in. That Sxs club member @emporium ??? guy had a cool cot/tent set up that looked decent. Again, prolly too short for me though.

Koda

Koda

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Canton Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
1C78241B 4EB6 4038 9087 87BBAF506E09
892479C7 3636 49FA A7EB CAE310465F11
@Koda has a cool roof mounted setup on his trailer.

J

JTW

Yes, so much of this conversation is dictated by the type of riding you want to do. It’s hard to overland very far and do technical trails because the two don’t compliment one another. I could go for a long time overlanding on trials like we did in Marysvale or Taylor’s park. So it’s hard to have a conversation when ride expectations are so different. The biggest issue on the sxs and overlanding is fuel.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
This is awesome. I'm currently building a teardrop camper in which I plan to do some over landing with the Pioneer with

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
That’s cool. Wish I’d had the time to build one. I purchased one but I’d love to see what yours is shaping up to... :cool:

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yes, so much of this conversation is dictated by the type of riding you want to do. It’s hard to overland very far and do technical trails because the two don’t compliment one another. I could go for a long time overlanding on trials like we did in Marysvale or Taylor’s park. So it’s hard to have a conversation when ride expectations are so different. The biggest issue on the sxs and overlanding is fuel.
True enough. I had to unhook from my teardrop on the two overland trips I’ve done and leave it to do side trips for trails with technical terrain which besides being concerned about leaving it, it required covering the same trail twice to double back and pick it up.

J

JTW

True enough. I had to unhook from my teardrop on the two overland trips I’ve done and leave it to do side trips which besides being concerned about leaving it, it required covering the same trail twice to double back and pick it up.
Exactly, now imagine you’re on the trail where kilo broke down in CO and the only other pass through the mountains to get to where you’re going is 300 miles and you only have fuel for 200.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Exactly, now imagine you’re on the trail where kilo broke down in CO and the only other pass through the mountains to get to where you’re going is 300 miles and you only have fuel for 200.
Lmao, yeah I hope to never be in that situation. :D That would be a trail I’d have unhooked the tear drop to ride which would mean doubling back. Pretty much it seems to me that overland treks have to be strictly routed and planned.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!