elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
What????? Wait a minute, the dealership sent me out with a gooseneck set up. :confused:

Yes. The dealer effectively voided your Lippert frame warranty. They will nor warrant any damage to the frame if a gooseneck adapter is used other than an Anderson or a Goosebox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Vikes79
elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Lippert makes the entire frame (not just the pinbox) as well as a boatload of other components

If the frame ends up with damage from a gooseneck adapter it is usually I. The area of the pinbox mount or the area where the horizontal over truck bed section meets the vertical drop to the main frame.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Lippert makes the entire frame (not just the pinbox) as well as a boatload of other components

If the frame ends up with damage from a gooseneck adapter it is usually I. The area of the pinbox mount or the area where the horizontal over truck bed section meets the vertical drop to the main frame.

Thanks....:rolleyes:

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes. The dealer effectively voided your Lippert frame warranty. They will nor warrant any damage to the frame if a gooseneck adapter is used other than an Anderson or a Goosebox.

I understand that this is mind boggling, because it is.

Unfortunately it is the honest truth.

I expect to be picking up my 325 from the dealership in the next day or so. I’ll post post pictures of my AUH and the trailer connection at full turn in case you decide to go this route.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I understand that this is mind boggling, because it is.

Unfortunately it is the honest truth.

I expect to be picking up my 325 from the dealership in the next day or so. I’ll post post pictures of my AUH and the trailer connection at full turn in case you decide to go this route.
I really appreciate it Vikes. I’ll be watching for that. :cool:

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can speak first hand of the cracked frame around the pin box. I bought a very well kept 5th wheel a couple of years ago, that the previous owner had the gooseneck adapter on. Before I went and picked it up, I did a little researching on the praticular Wildcat trailer and found others that had the problem of craked frames. They said Lippert wouldn't warranty because Forest River specked the frame to light and Forest River wouldn't warranty it because Lippert made the frame. When we went and picked it up I took a flashlight and looked up inside the pin box and found multiple cracks. I was super sick to my stomach but we still ended up buying it because I was fairly confident we could repair it and the rest of the trailer was very well taken care of. I towed it home very gingerly and pulled the bottom skin only to find multiple breaks and super light metal. Someone on another forum talked to Lippert about the problem and got a straight up answer from them that said all they would of had to do was add a few gussets here and there and it should take care of the problem. Well long story short, I repaired it with the help of my brother, and for $8 in metal for gussets, we built it like it should have been made. Pretty sad, but it's been solid as a rock every since. I went with the Andersen hitch and have been very happy with it. The tough part is there are ALOT of trailers with the ranch hand adapter and many customers that don't know what kind of trouble is hidden behind that thin underbelly skin.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I can speak first hand of the cracked frame around the pin box. I bought a very well kept 5th wheel a couple of years ago, that the previous owner had the gooseneck adapter on. Before I went and picked it up, I did a little researching on the praticular Wildcat trailer and found others that had the problem of craked frames. They said Lippert wouldn't warranty because Forest River specked the frame to light and Forest River wouldn't warranty it because Lippert made the frame. When we went and picked it up I took a flashlight and looked up inside the pin box and found multiple cracks. I was super sick to my stomach but we still ended up buying it because I was fairly confident we could repair it and the rest of the trailer was very well taken care of. I towed it home very gingerly and pulled the bottom skin only to find multiple breaks and super light metal. Someone on another forum talked to Lippert about the problem and got a straight up answer from them that said all they would of had to do was add a few gussets here and there and it should take care of the problem. Well long story short, I repaired it with the help of my brother, and for $8 in metal for gussets, we built it like it should have been made. Pretty sad, but it's been solid as a rock every since. I went with the Andersen hitch and have been very happy with it. The tough part is there are ALOT of trailers with the ranch hand adapter and many customers that don't know what kind of trouble is hidden behind that thin underbelly skin.
That’s some sad s*** right there. I’m definitely eliminating my gooseneck system. Not sure yet what I’ll go to, looking for Vikes pictures latter in the week. What’s your tow vehicle, and what bed size do you have?

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 07 Dodge 2500 Cummins with the 8' bed with a big tool box in the front. The Andersen hitch has the ability to turn the hitch coupler to gain a little more room. But in the directions it talks more about changing this so the pin box doesn't hit the bed rails or tail gate. My only complaint is that it takes a little longer to hook and unhook because you have to lift the trailer up completely off the ball, vs just taking the weight off. I sure hope you find something that will work and glad you are staying away from the gooseneck adapter. Here is a pic of the hitch coupler for reference. It can be in front or behind the king pin.
3246  complete coupler block assembly w funneljpg20180123093340  737721518209131

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I have a 07 Dodge 2500 Cummins with the 8' bed with a big tool box in the front. The Andersen hitch has the ability to turn the hitch coupler to gain a little more room. But in the directions it talks more about changing this so the pin box doesn't hit the bed rails or tail gate. My only complaint is that it takes a little longer to hook and unhook because you have to lift the trailer up completely off the ball, vs just taking the weight off. I sure hope you find something that will work and glad you are staying away from the gooseneck adapter. Here is a pic of the hitch coupler for reference. It can be in front or behind the king pin.
View attachment 127757
Thank you sir. Yeah like Vikes said, it’s mind boggling. The RV dealer shouldn’t be selling them with the gooseneck and when I left with it they didn’t have it adjusted high enough and it hit the side of my bed on a dip and dented it, they didn’t tell me not to turn too sharp so I got the RV into the cab a couple weeks ago, and now I’m learning that I can damage the bed of my truck and the trailer frame :rolleyes:

I’m quite pissed....:mad:

G

gtsum2

Apr 28, 2019
Moseley
I don’t like sliding hitches, seen a few problems with them. But looking for alternatives.

Be nice to know if anybody’s had experience with these:

Sidewinder with Rotating Turret for Short Bed Pickups | etrailer.com

I have about 20k miles towing my 16500lb toy hauler with a sidewinder Pin box and bw puck hitch. Works fine, but if I did it over again I’d have some kind of air cushion hitch Ts3) and a long bed truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I have about 20k miles towing my 16500lb toy hauler with a sidewinder Pin box and bw puck hitch. Works fine, but if I did it over again I’d have some kind of air cushion hitch Ts3) and a long bed truck

Can you post some pics of it hooked up??

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Doesn’t the sidewinder keep the necessary clearance from the cab?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I’m looking at cushioned fifth wheel hitches but not sure whether I should use a single or double jaw. Specs say the double jaw is added security but I’m wondering if it’s more difficult to couple up to?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
They will nor warrant any damage to the frame if a gooseneck adapter is used other than an Anderson or a Goosebox.
Is that to say my pin box could be replaced with a Goosebox and then still used with my existing ford Puck system? And would the Goosebox move the camper rearward any?

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Yes the goosebox could be used in conjunction with your factory puck system. If merely replaces the pin box.

It does move the front of the trailer back some but I am not sure how much. I can attempt to measure when I get my unit back from service. Or you can get someone to measure the horizontal distance from the front lower mounting bolt to the ball socket and compare with your pin box for same dimension.

I can tell you that with my setup, I have no worries moving forward with full lock steering. Backing is another issue however and I do pay very close attention when backing. I also pay close attention while moving forward at slow speeds (which is when you will encounter extreme turning angles)

A short bed truck will almost always have some issues getting to 90 degrees without an offset ball or a sliding fifth wheel hitch. For absolute certainty, use this and slide it when you need tight maneuvering.

Companion Slider for Ford Pucks | B&W Trailer Hitches

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yes the goosebox could be used in conjunction with your factory puck system. If merely replaces the pin box.

It does move the front of the trailer back some but I am not sure how much. I can attempt to measure when I get my unit back from service. Or you can get someone to measure the horizontal distance from the front lower mounting bolt to the ball socket and compare with your pin box for same dimension.

I can tell you that with my setup, I have no worries moving forward with full lock steering. Backing is another issue however and I do pay very close attention when backing. I also pay close attention while moving forward at slow speeds (which is when you will encounter extreme turning angles)

A short bed truck will almost always have some issues getting to 90 degrees without an offset ball or a sliding fifth wheel hitch. For absolute certainty, use this and slide it when you need tight maneuvering.

Companion Slider for Ford Pucks | B&W Trailer Hitches

I don’t need to get to 90*, just full lock on my steering which I think is about 75*-80*

I’m not a fan of sliders but will do that as a last resort.

The sidewinder that I linked to in post #2 pivots back farther than the standard pin box and can be used with a fixed fifth wheel hitch that drops into my Puck system.

G

gtsum2

Apr 28, 2019
Moseley
Not the best picture but can go to 90, although I’ve rarely had to. Reason I say I’d go with a long bed truck and a Hensley trailer saver hitch is if you tow a lot, the roads really put a pounding on your rig. I looked at air pinboxes, but they didn’t make an air cushioned sidewinder rated for 17k or higher

Dcf57c203872a0610499dabb06eaba97

If you go with a sidewinder, you cannot go with a non puck b&w hitch as you could possibly have two points of rotation. Is also look at the updated pulleitw superglide. Reason I didn’t got with a superglide was at the time they didn’t make a puck version and you had to use a picture frame adapter which raised the hitch 2 inches....and the new trucks are already quite high

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!