Talon First Talon Ride Event Next Week... Review coming soon!

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lol you crack me up. You should have drove mine while we were in mulberry. Its funny there are several people that you know well that have never said the i4wd is fighting itself or giving too much feedback. But when dip s*** fisher and this joe schmo dont understand it and therefore revert to old school than it must be gospel.

I get that you want the option to put it in diff lock and tell bomar you're in 2wd. It's cool

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I suspect the difference could be a couple of things ..... 1, IIRC the test was running I4WD in sandy whoops at 50-60mph ...... which I doubt the LE has done. 2, normally if traveling at that speed, 4WD is not used/necessary, even if I4WD.

my99svt

my99svt

I identify as a lesbian
Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2016
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. Talon X

2. Talon R
FYI, this wasn’t my Talon, they had my pioneer there doing the clutch update. I asked them if they would test fit my wheels on the R. When they did and they fit I put a deposit down on the next R that comes in. Looks like it’ll be a green one and they’ll get it in a couple weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
using that mentality we would still be shooting flintlocks and using whale oil to light our homes...
NO, not at all the same. I4wd is STILL 4wd, but with an ADDITIONAL potential problem that can break down. It is not stronger than a locker, nor better in any way ..... just simply more CONVENIENT. That convenience can come with a price. Much like most truck now engage 4wd via electronic, rather than manually ....... done been there with a sending unit go out and leave you without 4wd/

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
FYI, this wasn’t my Talon, they had my pioneer there doing the clutch update. I asked them if they would test fit my wheels on the R. When they did and they fit I put a deposit down on the next R that comes in. Looks like it’ll be a green one and they’ll get it in a couple weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh ok,

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
NO, not at all the same. I4wd is STILL 4wd, but with an ADDITIONAL potential problem that can break down. It is not stronger than a locker, nor better in any way ..... just simply more CONVENIENT. That convenience can come with a price. Much like most truck now engage 4wd via electronic, rather than manually ....... done been there with a sending unit go out and leave you without 4wd/
How many thousands of miles were on that truck before the 4wd broke?
It's funny to me how the fear of failure so often prevents folks from even trying something. Manual operation is not immune to failure either. It's always easier to not do something and heckle from the sidelines.

Just think if there were no Talon and no i4wd everyone would be b****ing that Honda is stuck in the 90's. Now they just b**** about innovation.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
It's funny to me how the fear of failure so often prevents folks from even trying something. Manual operation is not immune to failure either. It's always easier to not do something and heckle from the sidelines.

Just think if there were no Talon and no i4wd everyone would be b****ing that Honda is stuck in the 90's. Now they just b**** about innovation.

Maybe if HRC gets serious again and can bring home good finishes in Baja 1000 and KOH with the Talon that will demonstrate to the haters its capable.

Reactions: Landman and sharp
advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Lol.......is @my99svt the one that drove through the ceiling in his garage. I remember that video , he needs to post that again , just for s***s and giggles !
Well I’ve sure done some stupid crap but nothing good on video. I think we all have, was cool he’s a good natured guy that would share a moment like that;)

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5

4wd did NOT break. The electronics failed. WHEN the manual transfer breaks, you can crawl up under the truck, put the linkage in gear and ..... BOOM .... 4wd. Not so when the sending unit goes out and the mileage is not relevant. I have NOTHING against anyone having I4wd ..... nothing what so ever. No doubt it works fine UNTIL the electronics go out. But is is NOT what I want, nor would I buy if given an option with manual locking. I prefer to forgo that convenience and stick with the more reliable manual locker.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
WHEN the manual transfer breaks, you can crawl up under the truck, put the linkage in gear and ..... BOOM .... 4wd. Not so when the sending unit goes out and the mileage is not relevant. I have NOTHING against anyone having I4wd ..... nothing what so ever. No doubt it works fine UNTIL the electronics go out. But is is NOT what I want, not would buy if given an option with manual locking. I prefer to forgo that convenience and stick with the more reliable manual locker.
Ya I fully agree with you after being in the automotive field for 30yrs and off road for almost 20. I’d rather have a locker and wish the option was there, unfortunately I’m considering the Talon so it looks like I might be the other side of the tracks on at least something I might own. Dammit!

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ya I fully agree with you after being in the automotive field for 30yrs and off road for almost 20. I’d rather have a locker and wish the option was there, unfortunately I’m considering the Talon so it looks like I might be the other side of the tracks on at least something I might own. Dammit!
Arent you the guy that was posting all about his fancy new Lexus and how in love he is with it.....

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I Know for me, IF I get a Talon it will be at least 2 more years. Hopefully by that time Honda reverts back to a locker at least on the X model. If not, by that time the I4wd will have time to be fully 'tested' long term.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Arent you the guy that was posting all about his fancy new Lexus and how in love he is with it.....

I’d NEVER take it off road! I’d take the tried and true Xterra that was made for it every time! The Lexus is car base and Xterra truck base. I wouldn’t tow with the car base either. Not to mention if something does fail we aren’t 30 miles in middle of sticks and I can get home with aaa. Stupid to put to much technology in something that some people dump into 3ft of mud. Jmho...

Last edited:
Reactions: Eltobgi
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
4wd did NOT break. The electronics failed. WHEN the manual transfer breaks, you can crawl up under the truck, put the linkage in gear and ..... BOOM .... 4wd. Not so when the sending unit goes out and the mileage is not relevant. I have NOTHING against anyone having I4wd ..... nothing what so ever. No doubt it works fine UNTIL the electronics go out. But is is NOT what I want, nor would I buy if given an option with manual locking. I prefer to forgo that convenience and stick with the more reliable manual locker.

Lol I didn't know that we get to pick what facts are relevant. I guess a manual locking differential has never been broken and will never fail.
It's hard to call it convenience because they both operate with the same lever and a cable. So in your scenario with a broken lever or cable I can still put my machine in 4wd. BOOM! Look at that.

I dont care if you dont want i4wd. The problem is you are choosing what you want to believe and dont have any idea how it works. I'm not going to waste my time explaining it. But just so you know if you take away all the electronics you are still left with 4wd.

Here is a picture of the magic 4wd sending unit you speak of. Straight from my machine. E634a3f7d339f6af3e0aefc6a1818341

advertisement