Talon First Talon Ride Event Next Week... Review coming soon!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Lol I didn't know that we get to pick what facts are relevant. I guess a manual locking differential has never been broken and will never fail.
It's hard to call it convenience because they both operate with the same lever and a cable. So in your scenario with a broken lever or cable I can still put my machine in 4wd. BOOM! Look at that.

I dont care if you dont want i4wd. The problem is you are choosing what you want to believe and dont have any idea how it works. I'm not going to waste my time explaining it. But just so you know if you take away all the electronics you are still left with 4wd.

Here is a picture of the magic 4wd sending unit you speak of. Straight from my machine. View attachment 112896

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
And if it fails then some pimple faced kid at the 100/hour Dealership will “diagnose “ it for you starting with taking a computer from “a known working “ rig. If that doesn’t fix then it’s check every sensor and ground then call Mother Honda and hope there’s a solid response in under a two month time frame while you foot the bill.
Us cable guys simply adjust our cable.

Edit: but at any rate there is a good possibility I will be a part of that group before long so it really doesn’t matter. Like said earlier if there was a different choice I’d prefer to take it but there isn’t.

Last edited:
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Giphy

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm anxious to see how much a new axle costs with the sensors on them. lol That alone scares me away from the I4wd.
I can appreciate that concern.
I can also appreciate wanting a choice in the Talon for manual locker instead of i4wd. Mother Honda holds the cards on that one. If they give the option then the buyers can vote with their wallets. If they don't then the Talon is going to be i4wd unless you buy parts to spend it out of existence.

Debating the merits of i4wd versus manual diff lock and peeps personal beliefs for either side is where I get truly entertained by the discussion. I have no skin in the game on either side though.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
And if it fails then some pimple faced kid at the 100/hour Dealership will “diagnose “ it for you starting with taking a computer from “a known working “ rig. If that doesn’t fix then it’s check every sensor and ground then call Mother Honda and hope there’s a solid response in under a two month time frame while you foot the bill.
Us cable guys simply adjust our cable.

Edit: but at any rate there is a good possibility I will be a part of that group before long so it really doesn’t matter. Like said earlier if there was a different choice I’d prefer to take it but there isn’t.
Lol They both operate on a cable that is what I am trying to tell you. You can take all the electronics off and it still has 4 wheel drive.

But yes if the little magic box fails I will probably just have to buy a new one.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’d NEVER take it off road! I’d take the tried and true Xterra that was made for it every time! The Lexus is car base and Xterra truck base. I wouldn’t tow with the car base either. Not to mention if something does fail we aren’t 30 miles in middle of sticks and I can get home with aaa. Stupid to put to much technology in something that some people dump into 3ft of mud. Jmho...

If anyone can do it you can....

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I suspect the difference could be a couple of things ..... 1, IIRC the test was running I4WD in sandy whoops at 50-60mph ...... which I doubt the LE has done. 2, normally if traveling at that speed, 4WD is not used/necessary, even if I4WD.
When I'm riding in the snow across fields trails ect I run fast 4wd. My Polaris atvs would kick in and out. About looping you out same with my canam 800xt. Was scary going across the ice and the extra tire kick in lol. Wonder how this will work in that scenario.

Reactions: BigOL3
advertisement
WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
"I thought they said the X did better than the R in the whoops at the end of the video."

Snuffnwhiskey...If they said it they misspoke because every other reviewer said the R was WAY faster on the whoops - in fact one pair said they were running over 60 mph vs barely 45 mph for the X. Wanna borrow my hearing aids?:p

Talonpalooza

Talonpalooza

Feb 25, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X
Lol They both operate on a cable that is what I am trying to tell you. You can take all the electronics off and it still has 4 wheel drive.

But yes if the little magic box fails I will probably just have to buy a new one.

I am with you. I am happy that Honda is pushing the technology limits for SXS's. I like the DCT, I4WD, automotive seat adjustments, ect. I look at cars and trucks today and there is so much technology in our vehicles that make them more reliable. EVERYTHING fails. EVERYTHING has a life cycle. The single biggest reason I have a deposit down on the X is technology. I wanted DCT, I wanted Automatic/Paddle shift, I wanted something different than the tens of thousands of CVT's that pretty much are the same from one manufacturer to the other. I came very close to buying the YXZ as I think the 2019 is an awesome machine. Having the choice of shifting or not shifting was the clincher. I also think Honda and Yamaha are both at the top of the quality ladder in the Powersports industry. Will the Talon evolve? Of course, other than power, I think Honda hit a home run if it proves to be as reliable as Honda's reputation.

WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
I am with you. I am happy that Honda is pushing the technology limits for SXS's. I like the DCT, I4WD, automotive seat adjustments, ect. I look at cars and trucks today and there is so much technology in our vehicles that make them more reliable. EVERYTHING fails. EVERYTHING has a life cycle. The single biggest reason I have a deposit down on the X is technology. I wanted DCT, I wanted Automatic/Paddle shift, I wanted something different than the tens of thousands of CVT's that pretty much are the same from one manufacturer to the other. I came very close to buying the YXZ as I think the 2019 is an awesome machine. Having the choice of shifting or not shifting was the clincher. I also think Honda and Yamaha are both at the top of the quality ladder in the Powersports industry. Will the Talon evolve? Of course, other than power, I think Honda hit a home run if it proves to be as reliable as Honda's reputation.

I heard a while ago that the Talon has a second set of holes further back for the seat for the taller folks but it is not the stock setting. I think it would increase leg room but bring seat back angle forward just a bit.

WB

WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
Ya I fully agree with you after being in the automotive field for 30yrs and off road for almost 20. I’d rather have a locker and wish the option was there, unfortunately I’m considering the Talon so it looks like I might be the other side of the tracks on at least something I might own. Dammit!

I bet you could put a locker in the Talon and just disable the I4WD. Just Sayin...

WB

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I post crap just to see the mushroom cloud form over in Iowa!
Lol that one did actually make me laugh out loud.

I have decided I am not trying to explain it to any more people. They clearly don't want to understand anyway. I am just going to feed the fire and get them wound up. I don't understand all the hate on I4wd so I think I will just start calling them all racist.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!