Talon First Talon Ride Event Next Week... Review coming soon!

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The only issue I have with your theoretical computer/electronic breakage is that i4wd has been out going on 3 years now... there's been LE's portal'd and dunked in the mud repeatedly and despite the jokes of LE's only being dirt road runners, they've been taken on difficult trails right along with the non i4wd, and I've yet to hear one instance of them magically going out or breaking.

Sure, you can say "but it's only been three years"... and that's true, however, Honda moving away from a true locker is kinda telling. It appears they're confident enough that they're not going tarnish their reputation in reliability. Sure, maybe they'll start going out in 10-15 years... anything is possible and at that point, the i4wd haters can say "I told ya it wouldn't last!".
Like I already said ...... I am NOT a I4wd hater, and have stated I suspect they work fine. What I don't like is to add another component to the situation. Everything breaks. The more parts there are, the greater the chance something will go wrong.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I could just as easy say it's 'cause they're not invited... you're too scared to have one there and prove you wrong! :p
Thats what I was thinking, but the hard trails need smaller groups, so I know why they sneak off!

Reactions: sharp
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thats what I was thinking, but the hard trails need smaller groups, so I know why they sneak off!
Just kind of the trail we rode at the last Friday Mulberry ride, we should of stopped and told every one where we were and gave them an option to bail out.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
While you fools beat each other with rubber cocks arguing over I-4WD here is a couple of pictures from @Hondasxs . He has limited connection where they are staying. He said will post many more tomorrow on flight back East.

20190307 162616

20190307 112103

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have only used diff lock maybe 2–3 times. I can definitely tell when my vehicle is in 4wd even not diff lock. Drives like s***. That’s why I use 2wd for almost everything. (And it’s cool ) personally I would gladly own one and drive it and wouldn’t be worried to follow anyone on here with their chest poked out. I think they are good machines and will go...

Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
OK, I will accept blame for mistakenly thinking we would be thinking of the same scenario. I should have typed more thoroughly the scenario in my mind.

You are climbing a hill with I4wd engaged. Rear tires are on ground and pulling. Left front wheel is up in air, spinning. Right front wheel is on ground, not moving. The reason it is not moving is due to a problem with the apparatus (I assume computer) that is not working correctly (this is that additional component I referred to earlier). Whether the computer is broke, froze up, had a brain fart, etc does not matter. At THAT point you effectively have 2 wheel drive even with 3 wheels on the ground.
You started earlier by saying the computer kills the 4wd. That is false. The 4wd is the same. They all have the same front diff. 4wd on yours is the same as mine. It is a limited slip. Yes its 3 wheel drive, just like when you put yours in 4wd. Then you have the diff lock option and I have the computer. You could cut the computer and I still have "4wd"

In your scenario, the theory behind the i4wd is it allows for a greater amount of torque applied to the 3 wheels with traction and slowing the free wheel. Diff lock divides the torque essentially evenly to all 4. So by that theory the machine should do a better job traversing the terrain with i4wd because it is actually transferring more power to the ground than 4diff lock.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

chadbo

chadbo

Mama tried
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2015
Seminary , Ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
I have only used diff lock maybe 2–3 times. I can definitely tell when my vehicle is in 4wd even not diff lock. Drives like s***. That’s why I use 2wd for almost everything. (And it’s cool ) personally I would gladly own one and drive it and wouldn’t be worried to follow anyone on here with their chest poked out. I think they are good machines and will go...

Just my .02

you put down your deposit today at Heartland?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
J

JTW

Just my .02

It ain’t the chests they’re poking out around here!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
You started earlier by saying the computer kills the 4wd. That is false. The 4wd is the same. They all have the same front diff. 4wd on yours is the same as mine. It is a limited slip. Yes its 3 wheel drive, just like when you put yours in 4wd. Then you have the diff lock option and I have the computer. You could cut the computer and I still have "4wd"

In your scenario, the theory behind the i4wd is it allows for a greater amount of torque applied to the 3 wheels with traction and slowing the free wheel. Diff lock divides the torque essentially evenly to all 4. So by that theory the machine should do a better job traversing the terrain with i4wd because it is actually transferring more power to the ground than 4diff lock.

You're not speaking thier language.....
When youre speaking english and they are apparently hearing martian

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Before I say too much, I will give you the benefit of doubt in misreading what I said. PLEASE post my quote where I said the computer kills the 4wd. Since that thought has never even entered my mind, I can not see how I said that. If I did, it was a brain fart, but I would like to see the proof of that brain fart.

Yes, I understand without the computer you could still have 4wheels pulling if one front wheel was not in the air, at that point it would be rear wheels only pulling. Are do you see it different?

Are you saying I4wd also applies to the REAR wheels? Isn't 2wd LOCKED?

Last edited:
C

carlsonjmc

Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
RIGHT. The puter controls your brake activity, which locks the spinning wheel and sends traction to the one on the ground. WITHOUT that puter doing that you have TWO wheel drive. It does not matter that the diff is locked if the wheels do not turn .... LOL. It really is that simple.
Sorry your wrong, 3 wheel drive, the rear diff is fully locked all the time. The cable activates the open front diff just like on the non i4 machines. I’m going to reserve judgment on what is better until I beat the living hell out of the Talon that I will be getting. I’m sure there are situations where either one is better than the other. I’m keeping my “16 1k deluxe (manual locker) which has already been beat hard with NO issues other than water intrusion. And for the Yami guys I owned a 2006 grizzly that was a lemon, best day of my life was trading it for the pioneer. 600 miles cost me 3 axles, a rear diff and you couldn’t ride it when it was over 70 deg without boiling the gas and vapor locking. I would go Canned Ham before Yami.

Reactions: JTW and Razorback
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
RIGHT. WITHOUT that puter doing that you have TWO wheel drive. It does not matter that the diff is locked if the wheels do not turn .... LOL. It really is that simple.

Well here its......makes no sense...

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!