Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
This entire route is very easy.
Sorry to keep adding.
That route to the flame..
This will be a good day trip for the casual rider.
Or 45 minutes for the speed racer.
1 Tank of gas will do.
It is 90% easy trail/gravel roads with a few mud holes you can go around. Nothing a 2wd ATV cant handle.
Following this track, there is some road riding until you cross the bridge on old 63. It is all considered ATV legal so not to worry.
Just stay off the interstate and only ride main HWY 63 for that short distance.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
LOL thank you so much! I will hit you up if we totally lose our 4wd :p

I will have to brag on my wife some because last night we were discussing it. Do we claim warranty and potentially wind up down the same road again later or go ahead and purchase an upgrade. She said I think an upgrade is better. I said cool, the rhino 2.0 is $240. Her reply was OK we just need $500 then. I said it's just $240 for the one. She said we need to go ahead and replace both front if we are going to properly upgrade it. :D
Do you have steering stops in your steering rack? I noticed you've got the HL arms. You can run without steering stops with forward arms, but if you apply power at full steering lock in diff lock you'll trash the OEM axles quick. Just ask @TripleB :)... I killed one shortly after I installed the SATV arms. Replaced with a Rhino and never looked back.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you have steering stops in your steering rack? I noticed you've got the HL arms. You can run without steering stops with forward arms, but if you apply power at full steering lock in diff lock you'll trash the OEM axles quick. Just ask @TripleB :)... I killed one shortly after I installed the SATV arms. Replaced with a Rhino and never looked back.
You are correct! I chose not to install the steering locks. The machine has never been in 4wd lock while turning. I knew it would need nice shafts at some point and I would rather have kept the turning radius than installed the stops.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Last edited:
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you get any of that loaded?
I was able to pull up the kml file thru Google earth on my phone and see the eternal flame trail to the himbree store. I have the other files downloaded and I am going to download orux onto the tablet this morning and see if I can make the two cooperate.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Today's ride was a trek! We went out west and went across new trails that I am not even sure what the numbers or locations are. Thank you to @Hondasxs for supplying the map files! We had a total trip of almost 7.5 hours with 50 miles. We saw the eternal flame, a couple water falls, and found some really nice spots to just gaze at nature! We saw a Ford explorer that someone drove off the side of the cliff. This trail we took today was our favorite this trip. We got to see 1 of 2 of the oil wells. It looked like the 2nd may have been dismantled and removed. The trail took us through alot of water passes which was Super Awesome! We used orux today and it tracked well. We think our final pick is going to be Gaia for layout and function. Tomorrow we will drive out to see the ark while it rains. Then Friday will be our last day. We are contemplating going to the top of the world or the old prison on Friday. The cv shaft has gotten pretty bad. It pops in all directions except straight.

IMG 20211117 200521 01 IMG 20211117 200524 01

Last edited:
advertisement
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice.
Glad you got to go that way today. No trail numbers on that side.

If you think that trip was long... you don't want to go to the prison.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

We weren't sure how far away the prison was. We met someone on our way home who stopped us and asked how to get to the eternal flame and he suggested that we go see it.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This morning at 4am we were awoken to the sounds of thuds. Looking outside we saw a large black bear (presumably adult mother) and 2 smaller black bears (presumably cubs) rummaging thru our empty cooler on the porch. We watched them for a little while while my wife attempted to take pictures and could not get anything to show up in them.

After falling back asleep we woke up later to go to the Ark Experience. Took a bunch of photos and later ate at Supreme Hibachi in Lexington and have now arrived back to the home.

We are debating now what to visit for tomorrow on our last day here.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The last day...

It has been a blast! Definitely something everyone should have on their bucket list. We gassed up first thing this morning at the gas station across from royal blue. I saw they rent the lifetime trail tablets there. I played with one for a little bit and it's crazy how much it seems exactly like orux just some different colors. This morning was cold. We scraped ice off the windshield. It was neat to see the thaw throughout the mountains and hills. You could go into places where the sun has thawed the ground and into the shade where it's still frosted. We went over 100 miles today. We went out north east in the Tackett area. Went all the way to molboro and got McDonald's and little Cesar's thru the drive thru in the pioneer!! It was an Awesome day! We took it easy and enjoyed alot of scenic views. It was a great drive to end the trip. We look forward to coming back for sure. The steering made some strange squeaks throughout the morning until it warmed up. The cv shaft is pretty loud at this point. I am going to get some rhino 2.0 on this black Friday. We saw a red pioneer 1000-5 parked at the gas station this morning on our way out. There is also a camo 1000-5 parked in someone's driveway along stinking creek :p we used orux today and it kind of disappointed me. It crashed twice and magically erased a way point we made.

All in all it was a great and amazing and memorable week! Photos are coming in the future.

IMG 20211119 194723 01 IMG 20211119 194720 01 IMG 20211119 194716 01 IMG 20211119 184208

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I could have sent you tracks for Tackett, but this area is not for a single machine riding area.

I have used Orux on a handful of devices. And while it will crash occasionally, it has always retained my tracks.
Orux actually has a warning at first startup that says it is not perfect.

You mentioned that another trail map system. It is using Orux as well. And the map system is not that much different for this area.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I could have sent you tracks for Tackett, but this area is not for a single machine riding area.

I have used Orux on a handful of devices. And while it will crash occasionally, it has always retained my tracks.
Orux actually has a warning at first startup that says it is not perfect.

You mentioned that another trail map system. It is using Orux as well. And the map system is not that much different for this area.
We followed the way points you gave me in the map overlay download from the previous posts. We stayed to the gravel roads or green trails today. From the research we saw Tackett can get extreme. When orux crashed it kept our tracks and resumed them. The only wonky thing it did was erase our way point we made.

We removed the map overlays so we could see the roads more clearly while driving fast paced on the paved road. We made a waypoint near Tackett where we wanted to enter the trail system so we knew where we were going. We ended up missing our turn because it just disappeared. Otherwise it did great for us.

Last edited:
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Are you asking about the Gaia we used recently or the lifetime trail device I was referring to?

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also just an inquiry :
Does little Ceasars crust differ in higher altitudes? It was textured differently and tasted better than home.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!