Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hey, Smitty where do you ride?
What part of the countryy?

I have a shop but it's to far from the house but I have a large carport with a plug in where I can plug it in and my truck if needed. I've looked at the islolator but just like my pickup, two batteries are better than one. Double the cranks. It's been -37 twice. That's not common, but it happens. The house is good way from the barn and garge and I like to have it right outside the door so I can warm it up. I've got to several barns and two garges, that's why I on built a carport on the house. I'm paying enough property taxes.
-22 here last year, but I keep my stuff in a non heated insulated shop.

M

mpilihp

Aug 13, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
Umm, I don't think you want to wire a second battery in series. Doing that will give you a 24 volt system. It'll work just great for maybe a second or two . . . they you'll be testing for smoke!!

You meant hard wire it in parallel, I'm sure. And I strongly recommend against that unless the battery is *exactly* the same as the original battery, not just the same age. It also should be the same brand and size - in other words, identical. Even then I would not recommend that. Better, from a redundancy perspective, to use a True isolator etc. and have a main and aux battery if that's what you want to do.
Thanks I caught my error last night, should be parallel. I fixed my posted but all the replies to it still says it wrong. As for having to be exact it doesnt have to be, Ive done it several times and have not had any issues. My current beater Sportsman 6x6 atv has this setup for plowing and its fine. It obviously isnt the best idea but if you do not want to do a lot of work but get the added amp hours it will work. You risk having one battery go bad and drain down and kill your other one. I will be putting an isolator and circuit breakers in the second battery setup on my Pioneer but Ive done this series setup several times.

M

mpilihp

Aug 13, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
I know, I fixed my original post but the error keeps getting recopied in quoted posts!

Im in Jefferson, I use my UTV for work, IE hauling wood and plowing but I do have grand kids and when they get older I will take them for rides so I got the 700-4 last year.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks I caught my error last night, should be parallel. I fixed my posted but all the replies to it still says it wrong. As for having to be exact it doesnt have to be, Ive done it several times and have not had any issues. My current beater Sportsman 6x6 atv has this setup for plowing and its fine. It obviously isnt the best idea but if you do not want to do a lot of work but get the added amp hours it will work. You risk having one battery go bad and drain down and kill your other one. I will be putting an isolator and circuit breakers in the second battery setup on my Pioneer but Ive done this series setup several times.

Have had two batteries wired in parallel for 6 yrs on a P5. Plow with it every yr, have a ton of electronics hooked up and a stereo that you'd just have to hear to believe. It's always on a tender when parked. Switched out both batteries last yr, not bc they were screwing up, just figured it was due. However, the P1k seems to be far more sensitive to low voltage. FWIW

JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know, I fixed my original post but the error keeps getting recopied in quoted posts!

Im in Jefferson, I use my UTV for work, IE hauling wood and plowing but I do have grand kids and when they get older I will take them for rides so I got the 700-4 last year.
@mpilihp I was busting your chops in reference to the last sentence of post #62

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Here's the intended use of the switch vs and isolator. The switch has battery 1, battery 2, or both batteries and off. I'm not planning on using both batteries to start it unless it's super cold out. So, most of the time the Aux battery would only be use for some lights and the winch. You can charge one battery or both at the same time. Therefore, on longer rides you can charge both batteries. At night at home, where I do a lot of short tripping, you can plug in your battery tender. I not convinced an isolator will do better than manual if you have gauges.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I started another post in Accessories but all ask same question here too. Anyone install one of these Tough Country front bumpers?

Reactions: Biteme and Buggyman

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!