P1000 i4wd vs lockers

A

ajfitzg4

Oct 14, 2021
CT
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Need take the into account what you will be using it for. Trails, woods, crawling, around the farm etc. Most of my time is spent in the woods with some rocks, crazy hills etc and it just goes no issue. Actually amazed how well even with the rocky terrain I have here in the Northeast. But I could see it being an issue if you mostly do rock crawling and getting wheels off the ground.

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Some folks love i4wd, some people hate it. One down side is increased front brake pad wear since the brakes control the wheel spin. i4wd is "out of sight, out of mind" and the standard locker requires more planning and input from the driver. If you have a locker and will absolutely need it, you will need to "lock it in" BEFORE the situation requires it.

T

Teazr

Jun 13, 2021
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My basic thinking
If you add brake to 1 or 2 wheels to make the others work better, the other wheels have to overcome more resistance to move the machine since the slipping wheels are now being stopped to transfer power
rather then if all the wheels are spinning and trying to bite
I4wd is probably good/ok for mild trail use/farm and probably snow plowing with easier/more comfortable steering control, also probably high speed cornering/curves is easier since the axle isnt locked
but deep mud, or rough terrain/big ruts or holes where a tire may lose or have very light contact with the ground lockers should win every time, but you give up the easier steering control.
Everything in life is a give/take, Just depends what you expect out of your equipment.

I'm not sure why that would or should be the case. The i4WD should work as well, or almost so, as 4 locked. I am in no way an expert

K

KimberproSS

Jul 16, 2019
Mount Vernon, IN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Was thinking about trading in my 21 on the 22 trail but I'm curious about the i4wd. My deluxe doesn't have it and I can't get the trail without it. I use my pioneer in my woods often climbing steep grades where you need all 4 wheels pulling and even then sometimes that isn't enough. Will the i4wd do that or is it not actually a locker in the front and rear?
I'm a mechanical engineer and old school. I avoid electronic controls (if it is a nice to have vs. Necessity) where possible for reliablity reasons. Lose a sensor or an actuator and your stuck and probably with a big $ bill but all the mechanicals are fine.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm a mechanical engineer and old school. I avoid electronic controls (if it is a nice to have vs. Necessity) where possible for reliablity reasons. Lose a sensor or an actuator and your stuck and probably with a big $ bill but all the mechanicals are fine.
I didn't say a word!

R

Roosterb

Jan 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Ya. I was against i4wd in the beginning, guess what? Still am. It bothers me less in a Talon then it would Pioneer as it can carry more speed because of the suspension but have personally felt i4wd struggle and loose power up a big hill climb and it scared me. And it searches a bit. It does not have the same traction.
Not saying there aren’t some positives because there are but I sure wish my new Talon came with same bad ass locker setup as I love in my Pioneer. That’s my opinion.
I agree. I miss the way my pioneer could go through anything. And it had turf mode

D

duratime

Jan 26, 2022
Monterey,CA
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
Isn't the i-4wd system similar to most SUV's differentials? Like the Jeep BLD (Brake lock differential)? If so, it would seem to reason that their ultimate off-road Jeep, the Rubicon, has locking front and rear differentials, and the more "refined", but less extreme Limited, have the BLD system. So, it also seems to reason, that if you want the more extreme system, then go locker. If you want refined, i-4wd.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Isn't the i-4wd system similar to most SUV's differentials? Like the Jeep BLD (Brake lock differential)? If so, it would seem to reason that their ultimate off-road Jeep, the Rubicon, has locking front and rear differentials, and the more "refined", but less extreme Limited, have the BLD system. So, it also seems to reason, that if you want the more extreme system, then go locker. If you want refined, i-4wd.
I didn't say a word!

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

There’s some common sense
Good comparison

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another way to look at it is that i4wd is a cheap traction control that you’d see on base model open differential trucks or cars. Ford Superduty trucks come to mind when they eliminated the mechanical limited in favor of a electric locking differential. Base models got the pedal vibrator, higher models got the locker.

IMO, if Honda wanted to be innovative they would have added a electric locking diff option to the talon (maybe with i4wd as it is now) instead of the traction control alone from a civic.

For me the whole i4wd as currently setup comes across as cheap and susceptible to silly future electrical failures….one stick or rock to a sensor etc.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My LE came with i4wd. It works fine and I'm not a hater.
For rock crawling, I'm not sure if one system or the other is best.
Locked and making sharp corners on flat slickrock wears tires like pencil erasers.
But if I was mudbogging, I'd want the front locked without doubt.
Still, it would be nice to have the option to choose.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Another way to look at it is that i4wd is a cheap traction control that you’d see on base model open differential trucks or cars. Ford Superduty trucks come to mind when they eliminated the mechanical limited in favor of a electric locking differential. Base models got the pedal vibrator, higher models got the locker.

IMO, if Honda wanted to be innovative they would have added a electric locking diff option to the talon (maybe with i4wd as it is now) instead of the traction control alone from a civic.

For me the whole i4wd as currently setup comes across as cheap and susceptible to silly future electrical failures….one stick or rock to a sensor etc.
I didn't.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
So the entertainment value of this thread is starting to wear thin.
If you are reading this trying to decide if I-4wd is any good I'm sorry but you have waisted your time.

There are some who have actually driven the system and are pro I-4wd based on there experience.
And the system is probably well matched to there use case and they are able to enjoy the advantages of the system.

There are only a few (maybe just 1) who are anti-I-4wd and have actually been close enough to one to know something about it.
And for them there is the torque locker (it has it's own issues but it solves more issues than it creates, I have one in my p500).

Then there is a large group who have a lot to say but are partly wrong to just plain wrong.
And for that group of people let me just mention that by not saying a word @Smitty335 is starting to look smarter than the lot of you.

Last edited:
advertisement