P1000 Jackal's P1000-5

Well just as well get this started off. For those of you that followed along on my Pioneer 500 build, I pretty much bought all my accessories before I even had the machine in hand and within 3 weeks of having it home it was all tricked out like I wanted.

Thanks to @HondaProKevin from Honda of Chattanooga I will pick up a Red Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe on 12/22 just before Christmas. :)

Stay tuned going to be a long and expensive 2 months. :D

Read more about this showcase item here...

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Here is the finish plate all mounted and wired up, got everything accomplished tonight I was hoping to get done by tomorrow. Now I need to wash this dusty beast and get some good clean photos. Hopefully we get the 2" of snow forecasted for tomorrow afternoon and I will have a decent background.

View attachment 8879

In cab view after getting done:

View attachment 8880

Here is what I mean by dusty, too many gravel road runs this week :)
View attachment 8878

WHERE DID YOU FIND THE CUSTOM SWITCH PLATE ? lOOKS LIKE MAYBE CARBON FIBER PATTERN WHICK I LIKE.[/QUOTE]

I made it myself out of the OEM skid plate plastic, the carbon fiber is simply an adhesive wrap made by 3M picked it up at local Autozone store. The wrap has enough material to make 4 switch plates that size.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That looks great jackal! Ill have to look where to find one.

N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Jackal, I have another question for you if I may. I see that you have your lightbar mounted through the bottom of the glass windshield frame. I intend to mount mine in the same location. It appears to me that you have attached utilizing a bushing? Would you tell me more about your mount? Thanks for your time.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Jackal, I have another question for you if I may. I see that you have your lightbar mounted through the bottom of the glass windshield frame. I intend to mount mine in the same location. It appears to me that you have attached utilizing a bushing? Would you tell me more about your mount? Thanks for your time.

I wanted to ensure the light was properly supported so I found some thick nylon washers about 3/8" thick and 1.75" in outside diameter. This was to serve 3 purposes; to ensure that the light cleared the windshield frame adequately, to keep the windshield frame from flexing at the bolt hole I drilled, and as a bit of a shock absorber for vibration reduction.

The washers are by SERVALIGHT and I got them at a Farm Supply Store like Rural King or TSC.

J

jstreun

May 1, 2016
sallisaw
They are on ebay, I put a link below if it doesn't work search for Cooper Bushman relay.

Universal Waterproof Fuse Relay Box Panel Cooper Bussmann ATV UTV RV Boat 4X4
Another question for you. I recieved my pdm and have my 32" 180w led bar in about to install. I noticed when looking at the supplied wiring harness that came with light bar that it had a 40 amp relay and the pdm largest relay is 35 amp. do you foresee any problems if i wire directly to the PDM like you did leaving out that wire harness.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Another question for you. I recieved my pdm and have my 32" 180w led bar in about to install. I noticed when looking at the supplied wiring harness that came with light bar that it had a 40 amp relay and the pdm largest relay is 35 amp. do you foresee any problems if i wire directly to the PDM like you did leaving out that wire harness.
You won't have any issues with the relay in the PDM. I am running a 50" 400 watt led light bar off of that 35 amp PDM relay without any problems.

J

jstreun

May 1, 2016
sallisaw
You won't have any issues with the relay in the PDM. I am running a 50" 400 watt led light bar off of that 35 amp PDM relay without any problems.
thanks for the response. just reading through this massive post again and see on pg 14 you have move the PDM location back i like this but how did you fasten it there amoung all the other wiring ? pic is from above so difficult to see. thanks for your time Jackal

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
thanks for the response. just reading through this massive post again and see on pg 14 you have move the PDM location back i like this but how did you fasten it there amoung all the other wiring ? pic is from above so difficult to see. thanks for your time Jackal
I literally used zip ties on the PDM to the small metal hoop coming off the frame crossmember.

Reactions: sharp
T

taylorman

Jun 19, 2016
Lafayette La
Can you post a close up pic of where the light bar attaches to the windshield frame?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can you post a close up pic of where the light bar attaches to the windshield frame?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Taylorman...just look though his build. He has pic already posted that you will be able see how he did it both inside and out. After I decided to place mine is that location, I searched this site to see if someone else thought that was a good idea. Jackal seems to think it's OK and after mounting my 40" curved light bar it's really a great spot.

advertisement
T

taylorman

Jun 19, 2016
Lafayette La
Questions?
1. Did you drill into the roll cage and hood to mount your 4 cube lights?
2. Can you explain what the bellows are for on the differentials and transmission?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Questions?
1. Did you drill into the roll cage and hood to mount your 4 cube lights?
2. Can you explain what the bellows are for on the differentials and transmission?

Sorry been busy moving, my machine is 400 miles from me in an enclosed trailer so I can't take any pics of how the light is mounted to the glass windshield frame. There are some decent pics of it if you go back trough the thread. I mounted the cube light using the OEM holes on the front fender, simply take out the bolt place the light bracket over it and use a 15mm longer bolt that was used originally. The rear cubes are simply bolted to the OEM upper tabs that the factory nets were attached to. If you go to my Garage all pics there are full size 20MP they are 8MB per pic use a decent screen on a computer instead of trapacrap app on a 4" phone screen and you can see all the details of how everything is mounted.

T

taylorman

Jun 19, 2016
Lafayette La
What kind of volt meter did you use? Also what type of cradle holds your Garmin? It appears to be powered?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
What kind of volt meter did you use? Also what type of cradle holds your Garmin? It appears to be powered?

Here is the type of voltmeter I used he's has them in several colors:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C2NTJHS/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Here is the cradle I use for all Garmin Montana series GPS units. It is self powered has additional audio output as well as serial data output if you're into some really hi-speed stuff such as real-time transponder via laptop etc. I just use the power though. Also it has a tool that locks the GPS in place so someone trying to steal it has to rip the whole thing out to get it. Just add 2 RAM 1" balls and a 2" connector to finish mounting it to the dash plate.

Amazon.com: Amps Rugged Mount with aud.-power: Garmin: Cell Phones & Accessories

T

taylorman

Jun 19, 2016
Lafayette La
Another question regarding the volt meter. Is the purpose of this to measure the battery voltage of the spare isolated battery when the engine is not running? I don't see a reason for a bolt meter when the engine is running.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Another question regarding the volt meter. Is the purpose of this to measure the battery voltage of the spare isolated battery when the engine is not running? I don't see a reason for a bolt meter when the engine is running.

The P1K stator has a max output of 650 watts, anytime you are running accessories in excess of the 650 watts you are slowly discharging your battery. Without a voltmeter you may never know you have run your batteries down even while driving that the machine may not restart due to low voltage. My accessories will draw 900 watts with everything going except the winch. This is especially true for a technical trail where a lot of winching is involved in the dark with many led lights running etc. for example. This is unlikely in a dual battery setup but not impossible. Better to know at a glance for $8 than to potentially strand yourself many miles from anyone. I tend to go off into mountain trails alone so if you get stranded might be several hours to a few days before someone comes along.

Reactions: sharp
T

taylorman

Jun 19, 2016
Lafayette La
Gotcha. I'm trying to understand how the volt meter measures battery voltage while engine is running. It seems to me that if your batteries are low the volt meter will be measuring the output of the stater so how would you know that the batteries are low? I don't understand how a battery isolator affects the voltage of the battery that your accessories are running off. When you have a battery isolator does that mean your voltmeter is measuring just the voltage of the spare battery?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Gotcha. I'm trying to understand how the volt meter measures battery voltage while engine is running. It seems to me that if your batteries are low the volt meter will be measuring the output of the stater so how would you know that the batteries are low? I don't understand how a battery isolator affects the voltage of the battery that your accessories are running off. When you have a battery isolator does that mean your voltmeter is measuring just the voltage of the spare battery?

When the load on the system exceeds the stator output voltage drops. Example typical key on engine off I see 12.6 volts, start engine stays a steady 14.1 volts, I turn everything on it dips to 12.2 volts with winch under load.

Don't read too much into it.Get one or not personal choice.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

The voltage meters are connected directly to the batteries. The main battery meter will show the voltage going to the main battery. If it is low the meter will show that it is low. When the rig is on it will charge the main battery. When the main battery is charged it will send the current through the isolator to,the accessory battery and charge it. You will then see the meter for the accessory battery start to charge up. There are two voltage meters in the set up one for each battery.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!