Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I finally got a chance to put a meter on my set- up the other day swr was 1:1.25 with the mag mount on mine.
What did you use to make your mount for your antenna?

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
@Cuoutdoors Ideally you want your antenna tuned between 1:1 and 1:1.5. I'm still new to this stuff and I couldn't tell you what the numbers are all about, but I do know the lower the swr the better. The problem with magnetic mount antennas is they need to be mounted on metal (usually the roof of a car) so it has a ground plane, my concern with my set up was that I don't have enough metal around to get a good swr reading. With a reading of 1:1.25 I guess i'm good to go. I've been having reception problems with my boafeng hand held lately, I have a diamond mr-77 (https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-MR77-Mobile-Antenna-Connector/dp/B00M8MLSJ0?tag=sxsweb24-20) on my truck and the radio shack one on the pioneer that both worked fine while sitting still, but my signals were cutting in and out while moving. I borrowed an swr meter from a local ham guy to check all my crap in an effort to fix the problem. Well come to find out my antennas are fine, the Boafeng radio is the problem. I ended up buying an old Kenwood mobile radio (25watts) from the same dude with the swr meter, and that cured my problem. So the moral to my story is if you want some good range get a decent antenna and a radio with some wattage.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Cuoutdoors Ideally you want your antenna tuned between 1:1 and 1:1.5. I'm still new to this stuff and I couldn't tell you what the numbers are all about, but I do know the lower the swr the better. The problem with magnetic mount antennas is they need to be mounted on metal (usually the roof of a car) so it has a ground plane, my concern with my set up was that I don't have enough metal around to get a good swr reading. With a reading of 1:1.25 I guess i'm good to go. I've been having reception problems with my boafeng hand held lately, I have a diamond mr-77 (https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-MR77-Mobile-Antenna-Connector/dp/B00M8MLSJ0?tag=sxsweb24-20) on my truck and the radio shack one on the pioneer that both worked fine while sitting still, but my signals were cutting in and out while moving. I borrowed an swr meter from a local ham guy to check all my crap in an effort to fix the problem. Well come to find out my antennas are fine, the Boafeng radio is the problem. I ended up buying an old Kenwood mobile radio (25watts) from the same dude with the swr meter, and that cured my problem. So the moral to my story is if you want some good range get a decent antenna and a radio with some wattage.

Had same issue the Pioneer (more likely all the cheap Chinese LEDs) creates a good bit of interference I needed wattage to cut through it. I had to put filters on my sound bar.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I finally took down my blind. Ugh. It’s a sad day. 17691ef7bf2077bf695b4690ef46105a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Radio update.

@Ragnar406 came over and checked my antenna and all is well with that. He programmed my new radio and we tested inside my neighborhood. My baofeng handheld made it about halfway through the neighborhood and I couldn’t hear them and they couldn’t hear me. The new radio made it to the other end of the neighborhood and Khan could hear me good and I could hear him on the baofeng enough to understand him, but he was starting to get a little static. I would imagine we could get another 50-100% more distance with someone with another strong radio. Worthwhile upgrade if you ask me.

We went ahead and tore down my under seat area where my current sub is and I’m ready to go get he adapters needed to hookup the new wetsounds sub tomorrow and test to see if the 6” is enough or if I want an 8”.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Radio update.

@Ragnar406 came over and checked my antenna and all is well with that. He programmed my new radio and we tested inside my neighborhood. My baofeng handheld made it about halfway through the neighborhood and I couldn’t hear them and they couldn’t hear me. The new radio made it to the other end of the neighborhood and Khan could hear me good and I could hear him on the baofeng enough to understand him, but he was starting to get a little static. I would imagine we could get another 50-100% more distance with someone with another strong radio. Worthwhile upgrade if you ask me.

We went ahead and tore down my under seat area where my current sub is and I’m ready to go get he adapters needed to hookup the new wetsounds sub tomorrow and test to see if the 6” is enough or if I want an 8”.

One thing we found out for sure is that the baofeng speaker mic is trash. Even with my little modification of drilling the mic holes - it improved but not enough to make worth doing or using the speaker mic for the handheld. I ordered a real kenwood one to test out

advertisement
J

JTW

Just an FYI for anyone ordering the radio..
TYT TH8600 waterproof Dual Band 25W Mobile Radio Free cable+software US Seller | eBay

I’ve been making the eBay guy offers all week. $105 is his bottom dollar. And this weekend I had an email from PayPal with a $10 off code if you use PayPal to pay for something $50 or more on eBay. So I checked out paying $95 on the radio.

4A0C597A 9E65 4518 A0C4 C9B47820D99B
Here is my coupon code you put into PayPal as your checking out. I don’t know if it will work twice but you’re welcome to try!

UKVH27MTJ5YGYXXY

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks @nbomar , Mine is on its way!!
The PayPal coupon code worked for me also!!!!!
Buy now $109 with coupon $99
Antennas and cable on there way also.

Last edited:
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
One thing we found out for sure is that the baofeng speaker mic is trash. Even with my little modification of drilling the mic holes - it improved but not enough to make worth doing or using the speaker mic for the handheld. I ordered a real kenwood one to test out
Will this radio work if I wanted to put in my truck to communicate with my fire department?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Will this radio work if I wanted to put in my truck to communicate with my fire department?

You would need to confirm what frequencies they are on. If they are digital it will not. If still analog then it is a possibility. Of course I highly encourage you to have their permission prior to transmitting on their frequency

Reactions: ohanacreek
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You would need to confirm what frequencies they are on. If they are digital it will not. If still analog then it is a possibility. Of course I highly encourage you to have their permission prior to transmitting on their frequency
For sure. Im a member and have the chiefs permission. So is this radio strictly analog? Perhaps you could start a thread sheding a little light on pros and cons of analog vs digital. Uses for this particular radio. Are there radios that do both analog and digital? What the hell is a ham radio? So many questions now @Ragnar406 ....

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!