Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
It’s camping season, just need a truck to get ya into the campground :rolleyes:

Reactions: sharp and Tigermark
J

JTW

Looking for a Lariat or better with under 30k miles. Go ahead and let someone else pay the depreciation. Well the more I’ve been digging the MaxTow only adds significant tow rating if you also have HDPP

I can accomplish both of those adding a leaf and fluid coolers which is the adds. (Apparently HDPP has also has 7 lug wheels and comes with 10ply but 10Ply BFGs are getting added anyway.) who the hell used 7lug wheels, just go ahead and skip to the 8lugs off the SD!

As long as it’s a 3.5EB with 3.55 or lower I am dang close to max tow on a 2018 I can add the coolers and the leaf and have the same capacity even if it’s not on the door sticker.

RV & Trailer Towing Guides | fleet.ford.com

For laughs compare F150 2019 MaxTow with HDPP to a 03’ F350 SRW Max
I found that I was paying basically the same money for used as I was new. Yes, the initial dollar figure is less but just like me getting what I am out of my trade. If a used truck is going to cost me 35k with close to 100k then I’m better off buying new and getting the rebates and using the A plan. It’s basically costing me 4-5k a year. I’m ok with that considering my truck is basically my office. It took me a long time to get over the new car idea but with the price of used trucks you just about have to happen into a deal to not be paying the same money. How they’re equipped makes it even harder to find what you want in a used truck.

So, on the max tow. You also get the 36 gallon tank. Which is a must if you’re pulling. Otherwise you’re stopping every 200 miles. Not a big deal if you’re not pulling but that’s another requirement I had. The max tow also gets you the 3.55 gear, 3.5 eb, larger radiator, trans cooler, brake controller, and a sway bar. Yes, actual towing capacity isn’t really improved. But it’s the other stuff in the package that give the truck you want, with less hassle. And minimal price. It’s hard to shop for what you want because most search criteria don’t get that specific. I tried! If you want it, I’ll let you have mine for what they’re allowing me on trade.
AD9723A1 B312 4CE8 8A43 1BFED90C3AD2

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yea even if my stuff was beat up, I wouldn’t do this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m pretty bad about doing those sorts of things but honestly unless I had too I wouldn’t be taking trucks that nice through that for fun. You still need to get home. My trucks have never been pavement queens we’ve had our share of s*** dirt conditions but bring your toys have fun and go home.

Reactions: sharp and Tigermark
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Truck fight.lol
One thing I know about most new trucks are most people sell them at 1/4 the mileage I buy them at so obviously opinions would differ. When someone buys a new truck and says they got it for dependability yet sell it at 50-100k I chuckle. Most new trucks will very easily make it to the point people look to sell it.
Might as well look for a truck that does what you need it too without strain, mileage, comfort and imo resale value most importantly.
If a truck doesn’t make it to 200k ya it’s a pos but most new truck buyers won’t know that number

To that note, this is why trucks with 200k still have price tags north of 15k.

200k is nothing anymore and most will make it to this with occasional oil changes.

If your trading (should be selling) before 200k mi, you really are just tossing money away.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
To that note, this is why trucks with 200k still have price tags north of 15k.

200k is nothing anymore and most will make it to this with occasional oil changes.

If your trading (should be selling) before 200k mi, you really are just tossing money away.
I’m a firm believer in buying certain old trucks because they actually appreciate and I don’t lose money. But I don’t mind driving the old s*** either.
If we’re to do it the other way I would buy a couple year old rig with low mileage and let someone else take the initial hit. I’d then drive it till around 150-70 where it still has good resale but smaller problems can star then replace it. Imo that’s how to get the most from your money and still drive something nice

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m a firm believer in buying certain old trucks because they actually appreciate and I don’t lose money. But I don’t mind driving the old s*** either.
If we’re to do it the other way I would buy a couple year old rig with low mileage and let someone else take the initial hit. I’d then drive it till around 150-70 where it still has good resale but smaller problems can star then replace it. Imo that’s how to get the most from your money and still drive something nice

I can “lose” money on a truck but I’d rather it only be @$3000 a year, I plan on keeping the next truck for 200k and about 10 -12 years. Problem I’ve had is I was putting 100k on them in 24months. Old truck won’t stand up to that and new truck loses value too fast. Finally at a point I can get a cheaper car to give me 200k in 4-5 years and get a nice truck to last me 10+

J

JTW

I ran the numbers every which way and can’t find exactly what I want used. Not to mention they want 30-40k for a used truck with 30-90k miles. My new one is right at 50k. I’ve always bought used up until this last f150. Yeah, it costs me a little more but at around 4-5k a year. That’s not too bad considering at the very best I’m $2500 a year.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!