1. 700-4
Are they worth $13k dollars more for less options

K

kswaterfowler

Oct 18, 2015
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Quality structures inc. that 40x60x12 they have pictured would be alright but by the time I add concrete and get it how I want it all it’s back up in th price range.
These guys called me today. If I will sign a contract before March 1 they will take 5% right off the top. That’s $2200. He said March is when they start getting busy again.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
These guys called me today. If I will sign a contract before March 1 they will take 5% right off the top. That’s $2200. He said March is when they start getting busy again.

Depends how hungry they are. Tell them to go back and re=sharpen their pencil. I'll bet they can do better than 5%.

K

kswaterfowler

Oct 18, 2015
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Nobody is willing to really deviate from price unless you want to start taking things away. I have a really hard time shelling out $45k for any building. As bad as I want one it makes me ill thinking about dropping that kind of cash.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nobody is willing to really deviate from price unless you want to start taking things away. I have a really hard time shelling out $45k for any building. As bad as I want one it makes me ill thinking about dropping that kind of cash.
If nobody is willing to deviate from the price, look for someone else, be patient and keep the other estimates in hand for the new crew to beat the price.

J

JTW

Have you priced the materials out yourself? I think you’ll find the building is going to cost what it costs regardless of who you talk to.. I suspect if you’re getting bids all about the same price then that’s what it’s going to cost. If it’s someplace you’re going to stay.. spend it and be glad you did!

elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Have you priced the materials out yourself? I think you’ll find the building is going to cost what it costs regardless of who you talk to.. I suspect if you’re getting bids all about the same price then that’s what it’s going to cost. If it’s someplace you’re going to stay.. spend it and be glad you did!

Agreed 100%. I got 5 bids on my addition and 4 were within $2k spread. The 5th was a neighbor whose business model is to farm everything out and add a 20% fee for management. That is great for absentee folks but not for me.

His cost before his fee was in line with the other 4.

My experience with contracting is that most will come in within a few percentage points of each other. Outliers are either ripping you off or don’t know what they are doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

JTW

Agreed 100%. I got 5 bids on my addition and 4 were within $2k spread. The 5th was a neighbor whose business model is to farm everything out and add a 20% fee for management. That is great for absentee folks but not for me.

His cost before his fee was in line with the other 4.

My experience with contracting is that most will come in within a few percentage points of each other. Outliers are either ripping you off or don’t know what they are doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very true... you get what you pay for in contracting.

Reactions: sharp
K

kswaterfowler

Oct 18, 2015
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
I want to drop down to a 30x40, wife wants to stay at 40x60. I don’t want to shell out that kind of cash. We are kind of at an empasse.

Reactions: GPR1500SC and sharp
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I want to drop down to a 30x40, wife wants to stay at 40x60. I don’t want to shell out that kind of cash. We are kind of at an empasse.

You married a wise woman!
Wait a year or two and build what you want you will not regret it.
After it is built adding to it will be more expensive and you cannot build a bigger one in the perfect spot because you got a smaller one there.

I worked as a heavy equipment operator for a couple years and could never understand why someone would place a $200,000. plus house or building in the existing landscape in a inconvenient location rather then spending a few thousand more on dirt work and have it in the perfect location and adding value to there place with landscaping, extra yard, or more for parking and being able to get around ?

Last edited:
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I have yet to see someone build a shop and then say "boy I wish I'd made it a little smaller" However I have seen many a friend put up a building and say "yep should've made it bigger". Happens almost every time.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
30x40 is too small. I PROMISE you will wish you'd built it bigger.
Pay off some stuff, sell some stuff, do without some stuff, cut back on spending. Build it as big as you can. You will be glad you did.

PS: We won't disown you if you build it 30x40, but if you park a Polaris in it...

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I looked a 30x50 and tried to fit the things I planned on putting in it.

They would fit but it’d take moving 2-4 of them to get 1 thing out every dang time. If I went 40x60 I might have to move 1 thing out to get 1 thing out.

Way more flexibility of use and ease of use.

A few extra feet made all the difference.

I wish our garage was about 18-24” wider than it is. It would make all the difference in how I fit things in.

Reactions: JTW and sharp
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Bigger definitely is better!

Reactions: sharp

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!