BOX1

New shop

K

kswaterfowler

Oct 18, 2015
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
I am going to pour the concrete first. But nobody wants to make multiple trips. They want to throw it up and move on. At least the ones I have talked to. I’ve got a new lead but since I am a more than full time student a couple guys I work with that built shops during the same time frame said wait till spring 2020 to build when I will actually be able to mess with it. Or till I get kicked out whichever comes first. $5k bonus for passing the next segment so I am motivated.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm no biblical scholar but, I remember somewhere it says that the borrower is a slave to the lender. My wife and I lived paycheck to paycheck for years. I'm finally free and hope to stay that way.

I'm jealous that you are building your own and paying as you go. Just finish the house and keep going (do the shop).

So what is the "segment"? What do you do for a living?

K

kswaterfowler

Oct 18, 2015
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Title right now is Senior Nuclear Station Operator. I applied for a promotion and was accepted for reactor operator training. It is designed to be life altering. Last month I passed the GFES after 7 weeks of 80 hrs per week between classroom study and study time. Next segment is systems.

Reactions: Plumber32 and sharp
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Title right now is Senior Nuclear Station Operator. I applied for a promotion and was accepted for reactor operator training. It is designed to be life altering. Last month I passed the GFES after 7 weeks of 80 hrs per week between classroom study and study time. Next segment is systems.

So does that mean that if a nuclear bomb drops in the backyard your the man
but if the toilet is running over........ your wife has to take over?

K

kswaterfowler

Oct 18, 2015
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Naw. She is more handy because her dad built the last 2 house she lived in. However I am no slouch. I have an associates degree and worked my way up.

Reactions: elkguide and sharp
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Naw. She is more handy because her dad built the last 2 house she lived in. However I am no slouch. I have an associates degree and worked my way up.

So....... are you "UP TO" toilet repair yet?

;)

Reactions: nbomar
ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I envy all you folks with land. I can barely get a 10x12 shed in my yard. Then again instead of yard work, I'm drinking beer and lounging in the sun.
But no storage still sucks

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I envy all you folks with land. I can barely get a 10x12 shed in my yard. Then again instead of yard work, I'm drinking beer and lounging in the sun.
But no storage still sucks

I couldn’t fit my truck between the house and the road at our old place, but if the driveway were straighter and flat we could race funny cars here at our new one. USPS won’t drive to our house and deliver packages though have to pick them up at PO and like you said yard work is a 2hr task every 4-5 days, so there’s also downsides.

Reactions: JTW
ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I couldn’t fit my truck between the house and the road at our old place, but if the driveway were straighter and flat we could race funny cars here at our new one. USPS won’t drive to our house and deliver packages though have to pick them up at PO and like you said yard work is a 2hr task every 4-5 days, so there’s also downsides.
I honestly could live in an RV with my SXS in tow. Travel the country hitting trails. Ah that would be sweet. But work and wife have different opinions

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I honestly could live in an RV with my SXS in tow. Travel the country hitting trails. Ah that would be sweet. But work and wife have different opinions

Wow, that sounds ideal. Now I just need to figure out a job that would let me play with ATVs and SxSs. Hell I might even 'work' a few weekends doing that.

K

kswaterfowler

Oct 18, 2015
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Just got the bathroom bid. Wife has it spec’d The same as our master. WTF would we need a double bowl vanity in our basement bathroom for?

Reactions: elkguide and BWAF
elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
You need it to keep her happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BWAF
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just got the bathroom bid. Wife has it spec’d The same as our master. WTF would we need a double bowl vanity in our basement bathroom for?

She is just looking out for you and wants you to feel right at home
when you spend a little time down there by yourself figuring out just what you did wrong THIS time!!!!!!!

Reactions: lee and elkaholic
K

kswaterfowler

Oct 18, 2015
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ive hired someone to finish the basement. Theyll have it done in late october.
Got a call in to see if they can add a third bay door to this shop. We measured everything ajd could get all the stuff I want inside in that building.we also staked it out. Once the wife saw actual size she is on the side of this one.
20180811 224146

Reactions: sharp
J

JTW

Ive hired someone to finish the basement. Theyll have it done in late october.
Got a call in to see if they can add a third bay door to this shop. We measured everything ajd could get all the stuff I want inside in that building.we also staked it out. Once the wife saw actual size she is on the side of this one.
View attachment 83607
Just be sure to postition it so you can add on down the road!

K

kswaterfowler

Oct 18, 2015
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
I dont know. Weve been debt free a year. I think we could have the shop paid for in 18 months. I had a place that is cheapest by far on my brothers shop quote me the same one and they are more expensive yet. Even with interest on a loan it is still cheaper.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I had a standing seam metal roof put on the house late last year (actually it's my wife's roof but you get the picture).
The neighbor saw it and got a quote from the same company but didn't pull the trigger right away.
Now they have a 40% surcharge on the tin due to the new tariff.
Apperently the importers don't want to get stuck with a shipment and have the tariff get waived before they sell it.
So there is very little sheet for roofing being imported and the domestic roof tin is in high demand.
The price should stabilize in a year or so (or so I heard).

Getting somthing not made of metal is the better deal right now.

Reactions: JTW and ohanacreek
K

kswaterfowler

Oct 18, 2015
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Its wierd because when I was pricing before the deal was 30x40x9 with 2 entry doors and concrete was 24900. That was pre tariff. Now its larger with an extra door for 25500.
Metal all comes from the same factory down the road. Personally after seeing standing seam after hail and how insurance treats you Ill never have a metal roof.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!