Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Location services is the only option I have for controlling gps features.. I've gone thru the whole settings menu. So I have everything I can find on the tablet to allow for outside apps and location (gps) functions.. On.. But when I try to turn gps on in the oruxmaps I get the prompt. So is that where/why Google play is needed?
I'm not 100% sure the common sense tells me know Google play would not be needed to make the hardware function of the GPS work why does it work with the map app I just don't know yet .
Worst case scenario we can root the operating system put a plain version of android on there and get rid of all the Amazon c*** and I guarantee it will work

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

I'm not 100% sure the common sense tells me know Google play would not be needed to make the hardware function of the GPS work why does it work with the map app I just don't know yet .
Worst case scenario we can root the operating system put a plain version of android on there and get rid of all the Amazon c*** and I guarantee it will work
Well I certainly don't claim to be very computer literate but I feel like I'm doing it right and I suspect something is hinky.. The gps function works fine until I go into orux.. It has the location cursor in Spain and isn't relocating to current location and I can't get it to turn on. As it sits its just a map viewer with no gps function

Reactions: knuckledeep
J

JTW

Update.. Google is loaded. No issues loading it. Do I need to download the oruxmaps thru Google play? I have it just downloaded to the kindle just by a quick browser seach

jinx

jinx

Sep 27, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-4
I haven't did my homework in awhile but keep getting a flashback that the kindles crippled or did away with gps capability and you had to use something like tetherGPS that forwarded gps to the tablet from another device?
Like I mentioned, I haven't read up on it or well versed but seems like I've ran across the topic before. We own 3-4 fires I think, but I've never tried mapping apps etc

J

JTW

I tried loading the app (paid version) thru Google play and I’m still getting
5331B3EB 2FE2 4D3F 839D 8735D7A0D650

I’d be happy to oblige if I had an option to do so. I click the green check and it takes me to location services but I already have oruxmaps turned on there.

jinx

jinx

Sep 27, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'm with Jackal that rooting may resolve things possibly.
I know the kindles have a gps chip (I've seen them in tear downs) that's used for multiple purposes but as far gps I think it's basically "location enabled" for Amazons best interest

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Update.. Google is loaded. No issues loading it. Do I need to download the oruxmaps thru Google play? I have it just downloaded to the kindle just by a quick browser seach
You could try downloading and installing it through the Google play however I suspect that won't make any difference what I am guessing is it maybe a security setting with a kindle or Amazon modified operating system of android it's on that tablet since it's not assigned application works maps they are preventing The GPS from working properly with the application only

jinx

jinx

Sep 27, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-4
You could try downloading and installing it through the Google play however I suspect that won't make any difference what I am guessing is it maybe a security setting with a kindle or Amazon modified operating system of android it's on that tablet since it's not assigned application works maps they are preventing The GPS from working properly with the application only

I think you're right and more current than myself on the topic.
I pick up a kindle everyday but I've never had the need for it to do much more than surf the web or mirror movies to the TV.

I've seen Google play and Google maps side loaded before but maps was doing pretty much the same as JTW. It had maps but no gps location.

I may try to read up on the topic because now that we have the honda and a pile of kindles it could come in handy for me as well. Like I said, I know the chip is on the board, I just think it's not being fully enabled by Amazon

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I tried loading the app (paid version) thru Google play and I’m still getting
View attachment 56244

I’d be happy to oblige if I had an option to do so. I click the green check and it takes me to location services but I already have oruxmaps turned on there.
I just glanced over the hardware review for this tablet and in the specifications is says no for GPS functionality see below. I've never known a tablet not to have this ability you may want to try and return it and get a Samsung I guess ?

SPEC DATA:
Amazon Fire HD 8 (2017)
Operating System: Amazon Fire OS
Dimensions: 8.4 by 5.0 by 0.4 inches
Weight: 12 oz
Screen Size: 8.0 inches
Screen Resolution: 1,280 by 800 pixels
CPU: Mediatek MT8163
Processor Speed: 1.3 GHz
Screen Type: TFT LCD
Screen Pixels Per Inch: 189 ppi
RAM: 1.5 GB
Storage Type: Flash storage
Storage Capacity (as Tested): 16 GB
Additional Storage: MicroSD
Ports: MHL, USB
Camera Resolution: 2MP Rear, VGA Front-facing
Video Camera Resolution: 720p, VGA
Wi-Fi (802.11x) Compatibility: 2.4GHZ/5GHz
Bluetooth Version: 4.0
GPS: No
Estimated Battery Life: 4 hours, 42 (Wi-

jinx

jinx

Sep 27, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yeah I've seen where they have a Broadcom chip but it's not used to it's full capabilities for some reason. I'm sure the reason makes sense to Amazon for some purpose. Who knows.
I think there's something called tetherGPS that can be used but think it would be easier to just buy a cheapo tablet that has gps functionality

J

JTW

I just glanced over the hardware review for this tablet and in the specifications is says no for GPS functionality see below. I've never known a tablet not to have this ability you may want to try and return it and get a Samsung I guess ?

SPEC DATA:
Amazon Fire HD 8 (2017)
Operating System: Amazon Fire OS
Dimensions: 8.4 by 5.0 by 0.4 inches
Weight: 12 oz
Screen Size: 8.0 inches
Screen Resolution: 1,280 by 800 pixels
CPU: Mediatek MT8163
Processor Speed: 1.3 GHz
Screen Type: TFT LCD
Screen Pixels Per Inch: 189 ppi
RAM: 1.5 GB
Storage Type: Flash storage
Storage Capacity (as Tested): 16 GB
Additional Storage: MicroSD
Ports: MHL, USB
Camera Resolution: 2MP Rear, VGA Front-facing
Video Camera Resolution: 720p, VGA
Wi-Fi (802.11x) Compatibility: 2.4GHZ/5GHz
Bluetooth Version: 4.0
GPS: No
Estimated Battery Life: 4 hours, 42 (Wi-
Well that sucks! I guess our gps plan has changed. I liked the little kindle.. the price was right and it seems to be of good quality.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Go with bigger memory, or expandable memory. Use your tablet as your home base for everything on your machine, music, virb control, gps etc. Not going to go wrong with a Samsung. I don't know enough about the latest Android OS to make recommendations on which to run. I still use a blackberry.

Reactions: JTW and knuckledeep
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

When I was looking at last year i narrowed it down to a TabA or the Tab E lite. I was told by friend that works at Samsung that the Tab E lite would do everything I wanted it to do and that the Tab A would give a little better battery life if I wanted that.
There were a few other things that the Tab A would be better for but none of those were functions I would be using.

If I remember correctly I said I was just planning on using for GPS and music for the sxs. I am back looking at again as well.

Reactions: JTW and nbomar
DPort

DPort

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2017
Lincoln, ME
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the Tab A 10.1", use it for GPS & Bluetooth music while riding. Works very well with OSMand so should work as well with Orux. Got a RAM mount off Amazon....holds it very well. (get a good case for it and memory card).

J

JTW

Go with bigger memory, or expandable memory. Use your tablet as your home base for everything on your machine, music, virb control, gps etc. Not going to go wrong with a Samsung. I don't know enough about the latest Android OS to make recommendations on which to run. I still use a blackberry.
I already have some sd cards laying around.. it’s why I haven’t been concerned about built in memory

Reactions: Ragnar406
J

JTW

When I was looking at last year i narrowed it down to a TabA or the Tab E lite. I was told by friend that works at Samsung that the Tab E lite would do everything I wanted it to do and that the Tab A would give a little better battery life if I wanted that.
There were a few other things that the Tab A would be better for but none of those were functions I would be using.

If I remember correctly I said I was just planning on using for GPS and music for the sxs. I am back looking at again as well.
That’s exactly where I am.. I’ll run my gps and music from the tablet and that will be it.

Reactions: Ragnar406
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!