B

Baldeagle

Sep 16, 2017
AB
Whoever mentioned OruxMap this week I want to thank you.
My ol' Garmin eTrex is pushing 8 years old and I think its time for a replacement. I have been looking for a good Phone/GPS replacement and have been playing around with BackCountryPro for a few trips now. I just seem to revert back to the Garmin.
View attachment 6400
This week I installed OruxMap on my HTC M8. I have been playing around with it a few days now and have begun to like it. Today I was pulling updates from GPSDepot and see the file of WV that I normally use includes OruxMap files too. I even found directions for pulling offline maps from Google and Bing including Hybrid, Topo, Streets, and Aerial.

I think I am sold.
This weekend I am leading a few local guys around the back trails of WV. I have a route set and plan to use OruxMaps 100%. Wish me luck!
But, I will still have my ol' trusty Garmin in the bag somewhere. lol.

Who else use OruxMaps for long distance mapping?
Have any suggestions, tips, or tricks?
Thanks.

Do you know if there is an IOS version or only android?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

J

JTW

Do you know if there is an IOS version or only android?

Only android.. if there was an iso version we wouldn’t be having this convo. There just don’t seem to be any real good options for iso.

jinx

jinx

Sep 27, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-4
Check out Gaia GPS for IOS. It used to be well rated

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

So if anyone is contemplating which tablet to buy.. below are the 7” & 8” Samsung tab a’s. I personally didn’t care for the more squared screen profile of the 8”.. it’s really a shame the 8” kindle fire HD doesn’t work as it’s dispaly format looks more proportional. For reference that’s my wife’s iPhone 7.

7363E372 E21F 4F38 BA55 DAA480D4ECCF 3C66B1D1 9699 4749 91C7 E8EFD35FA6E6 12055E2D 93AB 45F6 BB05 A0E577BD75DC 22530B31 12E3 4404 A211 1B3DDAE07AAE

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Only android.. if there was an iso version we wouldn’t be having this convo. There just don’t seem to be any real good options for iso.

Motion-x is great on iOS. I’ve been using it for years. It’s the equivalent to the backcountry navigator used on android.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So if anyone is contemplating which tablet to buy.. below are the 7” & 8” Samsung tab a’s. I personally didn’t care for the more squared screen profile of the 8”.. it’s really a shame the 8” kindle fire HD doesn’t work as it’s dispaly format looks more proportional. For reference that’s my wife’s iPhone 7.

View attachment 56403 View attachment 56404 View attachment 56405 View attachment 56406

Your hand looks “chubby” just saying. I doubt that brings much to this discussion though.

J

JTW

Your hand looks “chubby” just saying. I doubt that brings much to this discussion though.

They’re very girthy... I keep trying to rub that characteristic off onto other parts.

Reactions: knuckledeep
J

JTW

Motion-x is great on iOS. I’ve been using it for years. It’s the equivalent to the backcountry navigator used on android.

I think I have that but I’ve never learned to use it.. can you overlay maps and use garmin files?

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think I have that but I’ve never learned to use it.. can you overlay maps and use garmin files?

There is so much crap you can do with it, it’s silly. I haven’t spent the time to learn it. I overlay my travel on the topo map and keep breadcrumbs running when I’m somewhere I don’t know. I’m not sure if you can overlay a Garmin file or not. The guy we are riding with this weekend is very well versed in motion x so I will try and see if he can show me some things...

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

No

Only recorded tracks, no basemaps. You can buy maps for motion x but none of them are for ohv systems.

Apple has NO app that will let you load a Garmin compatible basemap. There are dozens that will let you load a track or preset course, but not a basemap.

There are some that will let you use a picture or pdf of a map and you set known gps locations on it but they don’t work very well at all.

There are companies that have mapped various parks that will see you an app and then each map but I can’t find any that have mapped any of the parks I ride.

All Maps | CartoTracks

Reactions: knuckledeep and JTW
B

Baldeagle

Sep 16, 2017
AB

Thanks

Reactions: nbomar
B

Baldeagle

Sep 16, 2017
AB
Thanks

Doesn’t look like motion x has the ability to load in custom maps as avenza pdf. With it all you have to do is geo reference ANY map in a pdf format and import. Great for off road.

Reactions: JTW
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 56403 View attachment 56404 View attachment 56405 View attachment 56406
@JTW - Checking in which device did you get and how is it working?

Reactions: sharp

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!