alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Mudder reminds me of something personal, I will not purchase a ATV/UTV that has a snorkel...

Reactions: NitroxDiver
T

Tstover

Dec 15, 2018
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the replies. It’s over 500 miles from me so getting there to check it over might involve some planning.

How would I check for flooding?

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the replies. It’s over 500 miles from me so getting there to check it over might involve some planning.

How would I check for flooding?
I think it would be hard to tell on a sxs. I think most machines see some river crossing and mud holes. That doesn’t mean it’s damaged If it runs well and doesn’t smoke then the engine has probably never been swamped. I would just look it over for damage and leaks and if it all looks good I wouldn’t worry about too much more. 500 miles is a long way to travel is that a round trip?

Reactions: alloutdoors
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Pop the seat back out and pull the cover off the air box, that'll tell a story on its own. Look at A arms to make sure nothing is bent and check CV boots for holes. Other than a test drive, not much more you can do.

Reactions: alloutdoors
T

Tstover

Dec 15, 2018
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
I think it would be hard to tell on a sxs. I think most machines see some river crossing and mud holes. That doesn’t mean it’s damaged If it runs well and doesn’t smoke then the engine has probably never been swamped. I would just look it over for damage and leaks and if it all looks good I wouldn’t worry about too much more. 500 miles is a long way to travel is that a round trip?

No, that’s one way. I don’t mind a road trip, I went to Maine a couple of years ago to pick up a nice unmolested ‘07 KLX 250.

I’ll definitely check the air box, that seems to be the first piece of advice I see when other folks have asked what to look for when buying one of these used.

I really appreciate all the help from everyone!

Reactions: trigger
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Great advice above and if making a trip of that magnitude, then I would ask for a ton of pictures as well as some possible videos, i.e., walk arounds with close ups of various components, i.e., suspension, etc. In the photos and possible videos, you will likely get an idea/feeling of the home/surrounding, which in my book says a lot about a person. Also, I would be sure to chat with them on the phone for a bit and feel them out about the history, use, etc., and make the story makes sense and not filled with gaps or inconsistencies...

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
dont think its worth driving that far you could get a new one once add in gas and crap for a truck
rather get a new one without the accessories, your not taking the chance they beat it, biggest problem buying any quad, you can ruin it in a few hundred miles for sure. really not that good a deal either, was looking at a few 500s on craigslist, newish camo one was 6500 with all that crap and still was there for a couple months.

Reactions: Ollie
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
2 left! Honda Pioneer 700 deluxe
i would rather have the 700-2 anyway, they will fit anywhere a 500 will and you get so much more included, things you really need. way more storage and leg space, dump bed, deluxe has nice wheels, eps and select-able locker. all you can get for the 500 is aftermarket auto and im sure it messes up the steering they do for cars. to me its really worth the few thousand extra 11k for a deluxe is super good price, would think jamestown from central pa would be way less distance too

Reactions: Ollie
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
they will fit anywhere a 500 will

Lol! I think you may have exaggerated a little on fitting anywhere the P5 will? This was his first time trail riding the 500, listen to what he says at 2:23.

Thanks to Remington for the video.

Last edited:
nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
No, that’s one way. I don’t mind a road trip, I went to Maine a couple of years ago to pick up a nice unmolested ‘07 KLX 250.

I’ll definitely check the air box, that seems to be the first piece of advice I see when other folks have asked what to look for when buying one of these used.

I really appreciate all the help from everyone!
Flip a seat cushion up and make sure the foam ls dry,and no signs that they have absorbed water.A dealership owner that I know says that is a good tell-tale that can't be polished over.An airbox can be cleaned really well.Good luck!

Reactions: Todd627
Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.

Even more so is to yank the air filter out and check for dirt inside the intake boot. Somebody trying to sell a machine may very likely clean and oil the air filter, but more than likely won't even think about cleaning the intake boot.

Reactions: nctrailboss
NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
2 left! Honda Pioneer 700 deluxe
i would rather have the 700-2 anyway, they will fit anywhere a 500 will and you get so much more included, things you really need. way more storage and leg space, dump bed, deluxe has nice wheels, eps and select-able locker. all you can get for the 500 is aftermarket auto and im sure it messes up the steering they do for cars. to me its really worth the few thousand extra 11k for a deluxe is super good price, would think jamestown from central pa would be way less distance too
700 is a great machine and I would consider one if shopping for a new machine today but 59.7” does not fit where 50” does.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
when you actually drive it on trails(instead of just getting the 500 and assuming) ive never come along a trail where i could make it if it was 10 inches less, either you make it or you dont and back up. all the trails we have are atv trails. 700 is the same 60 by ten my rhino which drove many years on atv trails, close enough. length matters more than a few inches width and they are the same. especially when you add wheels and spacers to not make the 500 so tippy which most seem to do

Reactions: Mudwing
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!