BOX1

P1000 P1k and talon ecu swap

B

Bdavis1

Jul 28, 2019
Lacombe LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any updates here? I just ordered a stock ecu from partzilla for $200. Sending it to Silber as soon as it gets here

Reactions: BWAF
jtucker

jtucker

Lifetime Member
Jan 12, 2017
North GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I bought a new one from bike bandit and sent it to silber and it is supposed to be back here monday and I will let yall know how it does

Reactions: GPR1500SC and BWAF
jtucker

jtucker

Lifetime Member
Jan 12, 2017
North GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
i dont the way i understood this does the same thing

Z

Zmorris83

Well lift and duration numbers would indicate it is. As well as dyno comparisons we have done. We have 2 Africa Twins in house and have played with multiple aftermarket profiles on it, and have a Talon that we have tried multiple different profiles on as well. We have found the limits of what can be done with the AT cam vs. the Talon cam and swapped back and forth several times.

Nate
Alba Racing
"The intake close timing is 1 degree different. That's a negligible difference especially when both cams will act extremely similar at low RPM. That is the area that everyone is having difficulty with."

Again, "both cams will act extremely similar at low RPM. That is the area that everyone is having difficulty with."

Again, "at low RPM. That is the area that everyone is having difficulty with."

You are wrong. You don't understand what I'm talking about. We're having 2 different conversations...1 degree intake close timing is virtually identical for the application in question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

Zmorris83

If you're still looking for a tune I can help you out. I can do speed limit, rev limit, torque management, shift scheduling, fuel and timing at this point. I'll be able to do more very soon, but for simplicity I'm only doing that at the moment.

aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you're still looking for a tune I can help you out. I can do speed limit, rev limit, torque management, shift scheduling, fuel and timing at this point. I'll be able to do more very soon, but for simplicity I'm only doing that at the moment.

How much? I’d love to give it a shot to compare to the PCV I just installed

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV

Awesome!
Are you removing the torque limiters?
And does this pick up more low end then the Talon ECU?

Z

Zmorris83

Awesome!
Are you removing the torque limiters?
And does this pick up more low end then the Talon ECU?
Removing the torque limiters entirely would probably be a lot easier than adjusting them. I don't think it would be a good idea since I assume the clutch apply algorithm takes those into account. I need another 6K in software to know for sure.

Anyone want to volunteer to dig through hexidecimal with me?

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I would love to, buuuut I would have no clue what I am doing I saw a Cat file in the hex format and it looks like Greek to me.):

If you want to mess with my Pioneer ECU and send it back I will send you my Talon ECU if you want to play with it?

I put the Talon's 46 mm throttle body and injectors on and I really liked how it broaden my low end power.

Last edited:
jtucker

jtucker

Lifetime Member
Jan 12, 2017
North GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
what all did you have to do to change to the 46mm TB and injectors

Z

Zmorris83

How much? I’d love to give it a shot to compare to the PCV I just installed
Depends on what you want. 200 if it's the generic crap everyone else is putting out. 300 for full tune. I'm not interested in tuning them commercially but I'll be happy to help the forum members out. If we can keep it to popular setups that would help save me time that I don't have. The only reason I even developed tuning for the Pioneer and Talon is because I wanted to tune trans/clutch in both of my own machines.

J

JTW

Depends on what you want. 200 if it's the generic crap everyone else is putting out. 300 for full tune. I'm not interested in tuning them commercially but I'll be happy to help the forum members out. If we can keep it to popular setups that would help save me time that I don't have. The only reason I even developed tuning for the Pioneer and Talon is because I wanted to tune trans/clutch in both of my own machines.
You lost me? What do you mean by generic and full tune?

aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5

300 version sounds good. Any estimates to actual gains?

guessing generic is just fuel and ignition? Full is those and torque management, shifting, rev and speed limiters?

Last edited:
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
what all did you have to do to change to the 46mm TB and injectors

The throttle body is a plug and play mod
But you need to bore out stock throttle body to air tube adapter or buy a Talon adapter, or a Honda Talon Aluminium Throttle Body Adapter | eBay

Let me do a recap on my mod list
A/T cam and air tube adapter
Cat removed from stock muffler
3/4" hole drilled in muffler
Dual spark plugs
Power Commander
Talon ECU

When you install a African twin cam you loose low end torque and gain top end horsepower,you add Talon's ECU it gives back low end torque but leaves a soft spot in the middle. Installing the 46mm throttle body and injectors eliminated the soft spot in the middle.

I doubt a stock Pioneer would see much benefit without supporting mods:
Cam and Zmorris reflash.

Last edited:
jtucker

jtucker

Lifetime Member
Jan 12, 2017
North GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I got my reflashed eco back from Silber turbo and put it on yesterday. I'm not seeing a big difference so I called Justin at silber turbos and he asked me if I was the one that sent the new computer to him, he said the computer will go through a break-in period because it is new so it should get better. I can see that the rev limiter has changed.

Reactions: GPR1500SC
aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got my reflashed eco back from Silber turbo and put it on yesterday. I'm not seeing a big difference so I called Justin at silber turbos and he asked me if I was the one that sent the new computer to him, he said the computer will go through a break-in period because it is new so it should get better. I can see that the rev limiter has changed.

Pioneer ecu or Talon ecu?

aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The throttle body is a plug and play mod
But you need to bore out stock throttle body to air tube adapter or buy a Talon adapter, or a Honda Talon Aluminium Throttle Body Adapter | eBay

Let me do a recap on my mod list
A/T cam and air tube adapter
Cat removed from stock muffler
Dual spark plugs
Power Commander
Talon ECU

When you install a African twin cam you loose low end torque and gain top end horsepower,you add Talon's ECU it gives back low end torque but leaves a soft spot in the middle. Installing the 46mm throttle body and injectors eliminated the soft spot in the middle.

I doubt a stock Pioneer would see much benefit without supporting mods:
Cam and Zmorris reflash.

I would be interested in that setup but I don’t really care for more power top end so would doing all yours except the AT cam be beneficial?

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!