P500 Stability! Need help.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
So my wife and I went out for a ride on our new P500. We went down a hill with some very deep ruts. Not wanting to bottom out, I attempted to straddle the ruts. Since it was sooo slippery, my right tire wound up in the deep left rut. We were going at a snails pace and tipped right over. After we stopped laughing , we crawled out and uprighted the machine with no damage or injuries. Later the same day, we were riding on a trail along the side of a hill. We had no subsequent tipping but we were very fearful. We are not afraid of tipping but tipping into a river or down a mountain is another thing. We love our Pioneer but as newbies to this sport, I am wondering out loud what modifications I can make to lessen the chances for tipping. Tires? Suspension? Thoughts anyone?
I changed my tires and wheels before I had 20 miles on mine, and I've never tipped the machine yet, and I drive like a maniac, but you still need to know the limits. You should NOT do the HM trails on the stock tires unless you want to get lots of practice plugging tires. Twin Hollows is AWESOME by the way. I also added aluminum full width skid plates. It all adds up to: more weight down low= lower C.O.G. and more width=additional stability. Also, removing the rear sway bar helps a little bit- not much- to help keep all four wheels on the ground on rougher terrain. You won't encounter any real tipping hazards on the HM trails- unless you deliberately tackle the higher skill level trails. I would also highly recommend that you look at the p5 suspension thread for suspension options because the suspension will make the biggest improvement to stability and just plain enjoyment of the machine in general. I'm sure any of the guys in the club who've modified the suspension will back me up on that, and I'm sure you've noticed how rough the machine rides already. Just FYI I went with ITP SS312 14 with Rip-Saw RT tires. These wheels and tires are roughly 20-30lbs heavier per wheel than the stockers, and added about 4-6" width- I've never actually measured. The vast majority of my riding is busting trails in the woods in very steep terrain at very low speed- I've even considered adding 'ballast' to my tires (like tractor tires) to increase traction and stability, but I go to WV often enough to make that too much hassle, as most of our running on HM is almost flat-out all the time, and the added weight would degrade performance too much. Hope this is helpful, AND Thank you for your service!!

Last edited:
Reactions: rocmar and trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!