P500 Stability! Need help.

retirednavychief

retirednavychief

Feb 17, 2017
Cedar Rapids
Ownership

1. 500
So my wife and I went out for a ride on our new P500. We went down a hill with some very deep ruts. Not wanting to bottom out, I attempted to straddle the ruts. Since it was sooo slippery, my right tire wound up in the deep left rut. We were going at a snails pace and tipped right over. After we stopped laughing , we crawled out and uprighted the machine with no damage or injuries. Later the same day, we were riding on a trail along the side of a hill. We had no subsequent tipping but we were very fearful. We are not afraid of tipping but tipping into a river or down a mountain is another thing. We love our Pioneer but as newbies to this sport, I am wondering out loud what modifications I can make to lessen the chances for tipping. Tires? Suspension? Thoughts anyone?

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
So my wife and I went out for a ride on our new P500. We went down a hill with some very deep ruts. Not wanting to bottom out, I attempted to straddle the ruts. Since it was sooo slippery, my right tire wound up in the deep left rut. We were going at a snails pace and tipped right over. After we stopped laughing , we crawled out and uprighted the machine with no damage or injuries. Later the same day, we were riding on a trail along the side of a hill. We had no subsequent tipping but we were very fearful. We are not afraid of tipping but tipping into a river or down a mountain is another thing. We love our Pioneer but as newbies to this sport, I am wondering out loud what modifications I can make to lessen the chances for tipping. Tires? Suspension? Thoughts anyone?
Aloha ! Throw some outriggers on it bro ! Mahaloe

retirednavychief

retirednavychief

Feb 17, 2017
Cedar Rapids
Ownership

1. 500
So I just need to figure this out. Perhaps it's just the limits of my Machine. Heading to Hatfield McCoy in May and Montana in August. Pretty big mountains to fall off of.

Reactions: Dp5hunter and JTW
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Rather you do spacers or offset wheels or bigger tires or nothing or everything just be careful and always wear helmets . Roll bars are awesome unless you smack your noggin into one . Noggin will always lose the battle .

retirednavychief

retirednavychief

Feb 17, 2017
Cedar Rapids
Ownership

1. 500
Rather you do spacers or offset wheels or bigger tires or nothing or everything just be careful and always wear helmets . Roll bars are awesome unless you smack your noggin into one . Noggin will always lose the battle .
Thanks! We do cover our noggins

advertisement
J

JTW

I traded mine in on a 1000... haven't had a tippy moment since! Lol

retirednavychief

retirednavychief

Feb 17, 2017
Cedar Rapids
Ownership

1. 500
OK; so I did some looking. I honestly didn't know what you all meant by "offsets" on the tires. Now that I have gained an understanding, I see how this could be a huge gain in stability. I also recognize that the stability is inherent in the added overall width of the machine with the offsets.
Now here is a stupid question so please don't laugh. Why can't I just take the factory wheels and turn them face out? Looks like I would gain 3 or so inches on either side.

Reactions: JTW
FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
We have a bunch of hills around our place that we regularly ride on. I have 26" tires on stock rims with 1" spacers. My tilt meter is this compression feeling in my right arm. My wife's pucker factor always goes off before mine and she grabs my arm. ;) On those side hill situations, go slow and watch carefully for any downhill side ruts or uphill bumps. As stated above, know the machines limitations.

As far as rut, it's just about how deep they are. I haven't rolled ours yet, but came the closest when backing up and rear wheel dropped in a hole, and we were on a balancing beam.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
OK; so I did some looking. I honestly didn't know what you all meant by "offsets" on the tires. Now that I have gained an understanding, I see how this could be a huge gain in stability. I also recognize that the stability is inherent in the added overall width of the machine with the offsets.
Now here is a stupid question so please don't laugh. Why can't I just take the factory wheels and turn them face out? Looks like I would gain 3 or so inches on either side.
The P5 is 50" for a reason, as you even already noted. You can however buy 56"-64" machines.

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
My .02.

I run 7" wide 5+2 rims ITP rims ($40 each) and 2" wide spacers from Dungear on Ebay, these are USA made Billet with wheel studs instead of bolts like the cheaper china imports. I run 30" tall interco R-Force 8" wide tires. I am still just under 54" wide. It improved stability and helped tremendously. Get taller tires and go wider if you can still go on your trails without getting a ticket. If you dont want tall tires at least try to gain width, on the stock tires being 4" wider will make it feel a LOT safer.

Sure, I still fall over, but I do that in places where many fear to go and I could avoid falling over by just going around certain sections, but what is the fun in that?

Ruts are not as big a deal for me now, while I can only drive over a milk crate I find that many jeeps on the trail really cant even do that without the punkin hitting it. And the RZR's are belly draggers in comparison. I sit at about the same ground clearance as a $20k stock high lifter for under $9k all in. If anything I wish the P5 was longer. Ruts to me mean someone else has already been here, so why cant I go here?

I once asked some 1k RZR riders if they get scared and they chuckle... "No, not really", Well, I am not ashamed to admit that this P5 can scare the hell outta me when I let it, and that's why I love it! I don't keep the plastic on my furniture to save it for the next owner.

Think of it like JUDO, the best way to throw is to be thrown 1000 times... In this case the best way to learn to the limit is to know where it is first hand and be prepared! Falling over is not often as dramatic as some make it out to be, just learn it before you on a mountainside with no trees to stop the roll.. . Just be sure to shut the engine off immediately upon falling over.

Here I can be seen draining the water out of my cooler, it was after this trip that I discovered the drain plug in the cooler and that would have saved a lot of time...
Haspin oct 16

retirednavychief

retirednavychief

Feb 17, 2017
Cedar Rapids
Ownership

1. 500
My .02.

I run 7" wide 5+2 rims ITP rims ($40 each) and 2" wide spacers from Dungear on Ebay, these are USA made Billet with wheel studs instead of bolts like the cheaper china imports. I run 30" tall interco R-Force 8" wide tires. I am still just under 54" wide. It improved stability and helped tremendously. Get taller tires and go wider if you can still go on your trails without getting a ticket. If you dont want tall tires at least try to gain width, on the stock tires being 4" wider will make it feel a LOT safer.

Sure, I still fall over, but I do that in places where many fear to go and I could avoid falling over by just going around certain sections, but what is the fun in that?

Ruts are not as big a deal for me now, while I can only drive over a milk crate I find that many jeeps on the trail really cant even do that without the punkin hitting it. And the RZR's are belly draggers in comparison. I sit at about the same ground clearance as a $20k stock high lifter for under $9k all in. If anything I wish the P5 was longer. Ruts to me mean someone else has already been here, so why cant I go here?

I once asked some 1k RZR riders if they get scared and they chuckle... "No, not really", Well, I am not ashamed to admit that this P5 can scare the hell outta me when I let it, and that's why I love it! I don't keep the plastic on my furniture to save it for the next owner.

Think of it like JUDO, the best way to throw is to be thrown 1000 times... In this case the best way to learn to the limit is to know where it is first hand and be prepared! Falling over is not often as dramatic as some make it out to be, just learn it before you on a mountainside with no trees to stop the roll.. . Just be sure to shut the engine off immediately upon falling over.

Here I can be seen draining the water out of my cooler, it was after this trip that I discovered the drain plug in the cooler and that would have saved a lot of time...
View attachment 34945

Reactions: Dp5hunter
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!