P1000 Stupid Air Cleaner!!!

Worm237

Worm237

Jul 11, 2017
Atlanta, Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I got it thanks to the recommendation from @Neohio and removed the seat. Still a huge PITA. Can’t believe the Honda engineers thought this was a good idea. My other brand that started with a P was literally 30 seconds to get to the air filter and change it.

Honda p1000 air filter change guide:

Step 1 - disassemble entire machine.

Step 2 - try not to strip Allen heads since they were put on with a 3/4 impact.

Step 3 change filter and reassemble entire machine.

View attachment 56093View attachment 56094View attachment 56095

That is all folks.

I also ruined a brand new first time worn white work polo because I’m too hard headed to change. I thought it would be a super simple job when I started. My wife is super proud and happy with me. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Want to know how to make this task easier?

B I T C H about it.

Reactions: Bamaprof and nbomar
Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
5bdc52016ed0420361fd0217fab574c8

D

Dasmoeturhead

Besides to many fasteners to secure the cover I've seen worse. I must have had the right tools for the job. The only thing I find unsat about it is it hurts my back to lean in to the work area. Its just far enough in to give my old heavy equipment techs back a work out.

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ya lots of fasteners but would rather have that than destortion and leakage in the cover due to heat. Pulling the air from the front has made the air filter a low maintenance item in my case.

A

angus56

Nov 14, 2016
North Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok how the F do you get the top three Allen head bolts out of the air cleaner cover. I tried with a regular allen and couldn’t get it. Went and bought T handles and still can’t get the crap to budge. Tried taking the two bolts out of the side of the cover to lean it down and get a better angle and that does nothing. I’m not a 75 lb 3ft tall Japanese guy and this is frickin stupid! Help please.

I must be one of the lucky ones read how hard it was to get the Allen screws out so I ordered the long Allen tools and prepared for battle. I live in North Texas and noticed changing the air filter was not part of the 100 hour service dusty where I ride so I changed it yesterday. Raised the bed took the push pin cover off wiped dust off of filter housing and began removing the screws. All came off EZ and was a 5 minute job. Glad it wasn't a battle.

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I must be one of the lucky ones read how hard it was to get the Allen screws out so I ordered the long Allen tools and prepared for battle. I live in North Texas and noticed changing the air filter was not part of the 100 hour service dusty where I ride so I changed it yesterday. Raised the bed took the push pin cover off wiped dust off of filter housing and began removing the screws. All came off EZ and was a 5 minute job. Glad it wasn't a battle.
Did you find the filter to be very dirty.

A

angus56

Nov 14, 2016
North Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Did you find the filter to be very dirty.
Filter looked used but not dirty compared to the new one. They are coated with a light oil something to trap dirt it even says do not try and blow out with air. I'm headed to wyoming in a few weeks for a cow elk hunt and will be the first trip for the honda. Used to have a Polaris 800 and had no issues starting or operating in extream cold. Cross your fingers I hope the honda performs as designed.

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

Filter looked used but not dirty compared to the new one. They are coated with a light oil something to trap dirt it even says do not try and blow out with air. I'm headed to wyoming in a few weeks for a cow elk hunt and will be the first trip for the honda. Used to have a Polaris 800 and had no issues starting or operating in extream cold. Cross your fingers I hope the honda performs as designed.
Blow that sucker out!

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Blow that sucker out!

Not a good idea.
The P1k filter is a so called 'wet paper' element.
It's not like your ATV oiled foam, nor is it like your trucks dry paper element.

I'm sure it works well if you treat it correctly.
Good for 3600 miles - much longer than an ATV oiled foam.
I think it's biggest down fall is the baggage that we bring to the equation.

It's like the whole engine oil argument.
Lots of people have strong opinions about what oil is good for the engine.
Some stress out over what is needed for a wet clutch.
It's like watching family argue over religion or politics, gets heated fast.
But the real question is what dose the DCT control circuit need?
That is the new section in the equation.

So ask yourself what do you know about wet paper filters?
Educate yourself (you can start with the owners manual).
Then find something more appropriate to blow out (just for you @JTW ).

J

JTW

Not a good idea.
The P1k filter is a so called 'wet paper' element.
It's not like your ATV oiled foam, nor is it like your trucks dry paper element.

I'm sure it works well if you treat it correctly.
Good for 3600 miles - much longer than an ATV oiled foam.
I think it's biggest down fall is the baggage that we bring to the equation.

It's like the whole engine oil argument.
Lots of people have strong opinions about what oil is good for the engine.
Some stress out over what is needed for a wet clutch.
It's like watching family argue over religion or politics, gets heated fast.
But the real question is what dose the DCT control circuit need?
That is the new section in the equation.

So ask yourself what do you know about wet paper filters?
Educate yourself (you can start with the owners manual).
Then find something more appropriate to blow out (just for you @JTW ).
I’d just blow it out and add some Pam cooking spray or some lemon pledge. Good as new! But when your blowing be sure you don’t just let it rest in one spot!!

But in seriousness, this is exactly why I have a washable prefilter on mine.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I’d just blow it out and add some Pam cooking spray or some lemon pledge. Good as new! But when your blowing be sure you don’t just let it rest in one spot!!

But in seriousness, this is exactly why I have a washable prefilter on mine.
You left your self wide open, but I'll let some one else respond, since I'm on double secret probation!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!