P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've searched a thousand threads and can't find much more than a brief mention of these things...

Someone tell me, what's up with these o-rings that ship with a new air filter? I inspected the ones that are already in place and they're in good shape, so I skipped replacing them - but I did look at how a new one would fit, and it doesn't look pretty.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The owners manual doesn't even mention them in the air cleaner maintenance section. It just says to open the box, replace the filter, and put the cover back on.

Reactions: Lady01
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I've searched a thousand threads and can't find much more than a brief mention of these things...

Someone tell me, what's up with these o-rings that ship with a new air filter? I inspected the ones that are already in place and they're in good shape, so I skipped replacing them - but I did look at how a new one would fit, and it doesn't look pretty.
I've changed my air filter twice in 8000 miles and I never replaced the o-ring because it looked fine.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I recently did mine and discovered that I did not have any "old" ones to replace...
hoping the next time I go in there, it will be a bit cleaner.
If you didn't have any seals does that mean that your clean side of the filter was dirty? If so that's not good. I changed the air filter on my 3 seater Friday at 2700 miles. I thought I had checked the boots clamps on this machine when I bought it. Due to the high number of clamps that were installed incorrectly. I obviously didn't and got very lucky it didn't break the seal and wasn't sucking dirty air or water.
20210430 115257

This filter was dirtier at 2700 miles than my 5 seater was at 4000 miles due to this machine always following in the dust.
20210430 115428

Reactions: Lady01 and Mudwing
ch33br0h

ch33br0h

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2018
Jardín, Antioquia - Colombia, South America!
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@TripleB
I'm not sure.... how are we defining the "clean side" ?
for me that would be top as soon as the top case is removed and then the dirtier side was revealed upon removing the filter.

Also thank you for sharing the photos on those clamps, I'll be able to check the status of mine next time I'm able to go up to where I have the rig stored.

Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
@TripleB
I'm not sure.... how are we defining the "clean side" ?
for me that would be top as soon as the top case is removed and then the dirtier side was revealed upon removing the filter.

Also thank you for sharing the photos on those clamps, I'll be able to check the status of mine next time I'm able to go up to where I have the rig stored.
Yes the clean is side showing when you open the lid. Also those o-rings/seals are pushed in the slots are not easily seen. Yours probably had them if you clean side was clean.

ch33br0h

ch33br0h

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-5
ok cool,
then in my case to be more specific, I was referring to the super large o rings, that may not even be called "o-rings" but function in a similar matter. (2) of them, one fits on the filter itself and the other on the housing that holds the filter.
those are the ones that I had missing.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Tha
ok cool,
then in my case to be more specific, I was referring to the super large o rings, that may not even be called "o-rings" but function in a similar matter. (2) of them, one fits on the filter itself and the other on the housing that holds the filter.
those are the ones that I had missing.
That's the ones I'm talking about. You would think If the one in the lid was missing, the clean side would have gotten dust in it.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you take a tiny screwdriver and poke around (gently) in the rim of the cover, you'll probably find that there is a rubber gasket in there.

Mine looks like it would be a flat rubber gasket, not a round one. That was my other wonder about these included ones, are they the same as what it was manufactured with?

advertisement
ch33br0h

ch33br0h

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-5
in my case I may have been extremely lucky.
That filter was already changed once by the local dealer and mine was only the second change.
Hard to say if they were never present from factory, or dealer error during last service.
Dust is rare in my environment because we are in high altitude rainforest instead its mud all day/night

EDIT:
@P1K5Dave I can confirm that mine was rounded and the filter was purchased in late 2020

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!