Talon Front Driveline Woes

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Grrr...when spreading the clip (with the correct tool) it bends up instead of sliding. I can keep one end under the diff piece but then the other side bends before it goes all the way in. It's a good thing I'm retired and have 20 hours to do this!
I have found the easiest way is to buy an extra one of those clips and cut one of the ears off the clip. Grab the other ear and pull it out. It actually helps clean out the channel for when you reinstall the new shaft. I have done it both ways and from now on I will do it this way. Good luck, overall, it is a pain in the ass!

Reactions: CID and AMink
AMink

AMink

Supporting Member
Jun 6, 2023
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
I have found the easiest way is to buy an extra one of those clips and cut one of the ears off the clip. Grab the other ear and pull it out. It actually helps clean out the channel for when you reinstall the new shaft. I have done it both ways and from now on I will do it this way. Good luck, overall, it is a pain in the ass!
I think I'm at that point. I watch the videos and they're like "And it just pops right off!". Um, no. No it doesn't! throw in stripped out button bolts, 8,000 push rivets, having to remove the winch etc. it just gets to be a long job that shouldn't be!

• Sad
Reactions: Hometeam and CID
D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I don't think the clip has to open as far as the the slot in the clutch housing will allow. Maybe a little more aggressive on the pry bar? Mine had one of the tabs broken (missing) before I started. Think I understand frustration?

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Make sure you have a new clip available, I had a very difficult time sourcing one a month ago. Back ordered no ETA. Ron aryers sent me elsewhere

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I had a similar problem, I fought with it for 30 mins or so and said "Phuck it" and pulled the front diff, then the driveshaft with the clutch attached, got it out and on the bench to work on it. Yes, it's more work but not that much, I can have the front diff out in less than an hour.
20230115 130842

Reactions: Hometeam
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I think I'm at that point. I watch the videos and they're like "And it just pops right off!". Um, no. No it doesn't! throw in stripped out button bolts, 8,000 push rivets, having to remove the winch etc. it just gets to be a long job that shouldn't be!
I just did one of ours a couple days ago. I put the SuperAtv one in and man first impressions are it is really nice and quiet. But I only pulled the skid plate and was able to slide the diff far enough forward till it hit the winch and I could finagle it out. I did cut a 1 inch hole in the floor board, that I will plug, to get to the front hoop bolt. That saved some time too!

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I just did one of ours a couple days ago. I put the SuperAtv one in and man first impressions are it is really nice and quiet. But I only pulled the skid plate and was able to slide the diff far enough forward till it hit the winch and I could finagle it out. I did cut a 1 inch hole in the floor board, that I will plug, to get to the front hoop bolt. That saved some time too!
I tore mine apart just a bit more than that 🤣
In my defense it was winter and I had 5 months to get it back together.
20230115 153855

AMink

AMink

Supporting Member
Jun 6, 2023
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
I had a very difficult time sourcing one a month ago. Back ordered no ETA.
Yep, my two local shops (Reno and Carson City) don't have them and show them on back order. A few online places show 10 days or so for delivery but Partzilla says 200-210 days! I have a short list of shops that have them with the closest in Utah. I'll start calling and seeing if they'll send it to me. Is there any word on a cross reference for this piece, either from another Honda unit or something else?

The noisy shaft may have to stay put for the time being.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yep, my two local shops (Reno and Carson City) don't have them and show them on back order. A few online places show 10 days or so for delivery but Partzilla says 200-210 days! I have a short list of shops that have them with the closest in Utah. I'll start calling and seeing if they'll send it to me. Is there any word on a cross reference for this piece, either from another Honda unit or something else?

The noisy shaft may have to stay put for the time being.
As long as the caps aren't rotating, you should be ok. HondaBob marks witness lines on his caps with a welder's paint pen, similar to all the paint marks on important bolts around the Talon. You could use fingernail polish too but don't let yer wife catchya. :oops:

HondaBob's photo from the previous page -
Marked3 jpg

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
As long as the caps aren't rotating, you should be ok. HondaBob marks witness lines on his caps with a welder's paint pen, similar to all the paint marks on important bolts around the Talon. You could use fingernail polish too but don't let yer wife catchya. :oops:

View attachment 403018
LMAO. Anytime I need a tupperware container or an extra butterknife I have my head on a swivel so I don't get caught.

• Haha
Reactions: CID
AMink

AMink

Supporting Member
Jun 6, 2023
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV

View attachment 403018
I don't think they've moved so far. I did put JB on them but they may have been moving before. There is definitely a bit of play in the front u-joint. I have the new SATV shaft sitting here, just waiting. I tracked down a few clips and ordered one from a shop in UT. I was on the line with one in WV but they wanted about $60 for shipping a $3 part! I'll push before I pay that.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I don't think they've moved so far. I did put JB on them but they may have been moving before. There is definitely a bit of play in the front u-joint. I have the new SATV shaft sitting here, just waiting. I tracked down a few clips and ordered one from a shop in UT. I was on the line with one in WV but they wanted about $60 for shipping a $3 part! I'll push before I pay that.
I forgot you mentioned that you were able to feel some play, I'd be changing mine out too if that was the case. I think the Talon guys are going to make @SuperATV very happy about their investment in developing the CV driveshaft for us. :cool: The recent difficulties in this thread aren't giving me any confidence in tackling the project. :oops:

Reactions: SuperATV
AMink

AMink

Supporting Member
Jun 6, 2023
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
I forgot you mentioned that you were able to feel some play, I'd be changing mine out too if that was the case. I think the Talon guys are going to make @SuperATV very happy about their investment in developing the CV driveshaft for us. :cool: The recent difficulties in this thread aren't giving me any confidence in tackling the project. :oops:
I admit to trying to NOT remove the floorboards and the seat and the piece under the seat and... I can easily reach the clip from the top and just screwed up. The only body panel you'd really need to remove is the shift cover or the skid plate but only if you don't mess up the clip.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Just pull the front diff, yank the shaft out with clutch attached if it gives you trouble. It's just nuts & bolts.

AMink

AMink

Supporting Member
Jun 6, 2023
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
Just pull the front diff, yank the shaft out with clutch attached if it gives you trouble. It's just nuts & bolts.
That means pulling the axles, correct?

Reactions: 906UP
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
That means pulling the axles, correct?
I hope not, I think the diff will move forward enough with the axles in place. If not, then you wouldn't be gaining anything timewise.

There's a bunch of info on how to remove the driveshaft in this post (#88 in New Talon Owners - First Things to Know and Check) -

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty335
AMink

AMink

Supporting Member
Jun 6, 2023
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
I hope not, I think the diff will move forward enough with the axles in place. If not, then you wouldn't be gaining anything timewise.
I think @906UP pulled the whole thing all the way out and worked it on the bench.

Reactions: 906UP

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!