The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
As a huge introvert who generally doesn't like being around people, I cannot wait to get back next year; its gotten better and better every time I go. I've been to TO 3x now and MOM once. Allow me to share my experiences with you.

TO '21: Didn't know anyone. Didn't talk to many folks. Went out for a ride by myself to get a feel for the area with nothing but a paper trail map and my phone which had no service. Went on Jackal's BMP ride and had a great time. When I wasn't riding, I mostly hung out in my cabin. I still left not knowing many folks though every single person I met was cordial. My fault, not theirs. At that point, I was indifferent about coming to another, but I DO like to ride, so I will continue to come back.

MOM '21: Overlanded with a great group of people. Got to hang out with them for a few days and was led around to some great sites. Now I'm on a casual conversation base with said people.

MOM '22: I'm getting the hang of this now and how it goes. Did some planning ahead of time and had some rides planned out that I wanted to go on. Met another great group of folks on these rides who I now consider friends. This carries over to TO '23.

TO '23: Great ride for me. I did even more planning in advance. I stayed active on the forum for the entire year. I didn't show up late to the party expecting to be led by the hand. I got out of it what I put into it. I don't know if you know this, but I put a sh!tload of time into trying to keep an organized ride list together with all available information readily accessible for new members to see and 'sign up' for. This included where we were meeting and roughly when. Where we were TRYING to go, and who was interested in attending. That said, trying to manage 20 people who are constantly changing their minds is like trying to herd 20 cats. Plans change. Times may run a little late, and we might not see everything we set out to see. Welcome to Life.
I left this TO with even more friends and can't wait to get back to see them again. This is coming from the guy who generally doesn't like crowds or people.

You said you showed up midday Friday and everyone was already gone. What were you expecting? Nearly everyone here came to ride, so it stands to reason that by midday everyone is already out riding. I'm not sure if you've ever been to the TWRA before, but if you aren't aware, Its F'n huge. Rides tend to last awhile. 50-100+ mile rides aren't uncommon. Not many people come back midday.

So that leaves you with Saturday for an 'organized' ride. Which one did you miss? IIRC, someone said you were on the Jackal ride which I also happened to be on. Yea, that ride could have went better, but s*** does happen and its part of the experience. We try to mitigate it as best we can and @JACKAL is a HUGE asset to this forum and does a phenomenal job with guiding groups. That said, the poor guy can't control everything.

You essentially left yourself 1 full day of riding and are now miffed that it didn't go as you had planned. I assume you were one of the 3 machines that were hiding in the shade a little ways ahead of the pack as the rest of us were back in the 87* sun trying to cobble the machine back together so that that guy (who, btw, none of us knew either) could also have a decent experience? Its hard for others to interact with you when you're hiding from them. Its certainly not expected, but I can assure you that had you been around the rest of the group as we were working on the machine, you might have gotten to know us a little better. Hand me a wrench. Offer up a dumb suggestion. Make a smartass comment from the peanut gallery. It really doesn't matter, but had you been there, I feel others would have had more of an opportunity to make sure you had a better experience. I can promise you that IF you were around during that time and IF you had even casually mentioned that this ride wasn't what you were expecting, I, along with many others would have went out of our way to make sure you had a good experience. Really wanted to see the Eternal Flame but were disappointed that you didn't get to? Mention that out loud and I would have made sure you got there. That's hard to do while I'm helping put another guy's machine back together and you're off hiding in the weeds.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I am an introvert, I don’t say much unless I am spoken to. I have never had a problem with the people on this forum. Everyone has taken the time to introduce themselves to me or another member has introduced someone else to me. If I miss out on anything it’s my fault no one else.
I never even got to talk to you this time. I seen you pulling in Wednesday evening and walking down for the raffle Saturday. You have been on 2 of my favorite rides. MOM 1 prison ride and MOM 2 trail 9 @9. Trail 9 ain't what it use to be so it will be hard to top that one.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Expand the quotes.
I will reply to this because even though it's antagonistic, it veils legitimacy.
So my perspective isn't vaild, you blame me. Ok
With all due respect, this "reply" was nothing less than what I expected from you.

My (long) comments were not intended to be, nor were they, antagonistic. They were an encapsulation of (a) our expectations as first-time TO attendees and (b) our experience as a first-time TO attendees.

I'm sorry to disappoint you because we did not have the same "negative" experience as you did. Perhaps the fact that we had different expectations as you might explain the difference.

Again, God bless and good luck, no matter where your travels take you and your family.

cntryby

cntryby

May 27, 2019
southeast
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sorry you had a bad time. My first takeover in 2018 I met exactly 2 people (Richard & Trigger) and rode 95% of the trail system by ourselves on my P500 with another friend with his canam. Never got in any group ride, I don't think any rides were actually posted. Still had a great time and have been ever since. I never really got to know anyone until joining in on an overland, but I am also not great at approaching people and generating conversation. Since then I have made some great friends and that I ride with several times a year.

I thought the ride list this year was a great idea and would help to newer folks a lot. I think a welcome ride would be a great idea to make sure everyone feels welcome.

Since my first takeover I have brought friends and family to this ride and still don't ride with the group rides a lot since I end up leading them. If you come back, let me know and you are welcome to ride with us.

I’ll say this to respond to the initial comment. I’ve been around here on the daily for about (1) year. Missed last year’s TO with my mom’s stroke, and MOM due to ball. That being said I’ve met up with others on here for rides and got to briefly make TO this year. This group doesn’t spoon feed, you have to take a little initiative on your own. See #5 seriously, did you read it, if so why did you say that? Some of the rides were posted in advance with pretty specific details. Others weren’t. And everything changed with little to no communication. So which am I supposed to follow, sign up for an organized event, or were just a go with the flow group? Part of the forum is making relationships (nomo) and interacting and planning. Once that happens things tend to fall into place. Taking your comments with a grain of salt, but at the same time what you said was basically a slap to Richard’s face. This place and the TO/MOM is fantastic, and it can be as much or as little as YOU make it. If Richard sees it that way I apologize. I beleive the event could be and is fantastic, but it didn't happen for me and the reason I posted are why. The whole post is not complaints, several items are merely observations, the raffle for example. I couldn't care less but those are comments from others I saw get up and leave while complaining. I just pointed out what I saw. I think most are getting their feelings hurt and then close down to understanding what I actually wrote.

I have no ragrets!

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will add ; I was impressed with Hondas showing this year... I know they have had people there previous years based on how the ride and dress but this was the first year I saw them out and engaging with people getting feedback, it was a great opportunity to understand why something are done the way they were and give feedback on what you want to see in the future .

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
I will add ; I was impressed with Hondas showing this year... I know they have had people there previous years based on how the ride and dress but this was the first year I saw them out and engaging with people getting feedback, it was a great opportunity to understand why something are done the way they were and give feedback on what you want to see in the future .
The p5 group takes their own personal Honda engineer along with them. Highly recommend you other guys get you one. Very convenient to have around. 5/5 stars.

cntryby

cntryby

May 27, 2019
southeast
Ownership

1. 1000-3
As a huge introvert who generally doesn't like being around people, I cannot wait to get back next year; its gotten better and better every time I go. I've been to TO 3x now and MOM once. Allow me to share my experiences with you.

TO '21: Didn't know anyone. Didn't talk to many folks. Went out for a ride by myself to get a feel for the area with nothing but a paper trail map and my phone which had no service. Went on Jackal's BMP ride and had a great time. When I wasn't riding, I mostly hung out in my cabin. I still left not knowing many folks though every single person I met was cordial. My fault, not theirs. At that point, I was indifferent about coming to another, but I DO like to ride, so I will continue to come back.

MOM '21: Overlanded with a great group of people. Got to hang out with them for a few days and was led around to some great sites. Now I'm on a casual conversation base with said people.

MOM '22: I'm getting the hang of this now and how it goes. Did some planning ahead of time and had some rides planned out that I wanted to go on. Met another great group of folks on these rides who I now consider friends. This carries over to TO '23.

TO '23: Great ride for me. I did even more planning in advance. I stayed active on the forum for the entire year. I didn't show up late to the party expecting to be led by the hand. Couldn't help yourself could ya. I got out of it what I put into it. I don't know if you know this, but I put a sh!tload of time into trying to keep an organized ride list together with all available information readily accessible for new members to see and 'sign up' for. So is this a go with the flow or organized event? This included where we were meeting and roughly when. Where we were TRYING to go, and who was interested in attending. That said, trying to manage 20 people who are constantly changing their minds is like trying to herd 20 cats. Plans change. Times may run a little late, and we might not see everything we set out to see. Yeah, all thats normal, but my expectations are when someone tells me meet me here at 9:30 and I show up at 9:10 they might actually be there. Welcome to Life.
I left this TO with even more friends and can't wait to get back to see them again. This is coming from the guy who generally doesn't like crowds or people.

You said you showed up midday Friday and everyone was already gone. What were you expecting? First person to ASK my expectation instead of assuming. (I know it was sarcastic) Nearly everyone here came to ride, so it stands to reason that by midday everyone is already out riding. I'm not sure if you've ever been to the TWRA before, but if you aren't aware, Its F'n huge. Rides tend to last awhile. 50-100+ mile rides aren't uncommon. Not many people come back midday. Which is exactly what we expected. Which is why I posted the humorous comment about "anyone..." then made a ride to the TOW. I didn't sit around with my thumb up my ***, I found ways to keep busy.

So that leaves you with Saturday for an 'organized' ride. Which one did you miss? IIRC, someone said you were on the Jackal ride which I also happened to be on. Yea, that ride could have went better, but s*** does happen and its part of the experience. We try to mitigate it as best we can and @JACKAL is a HUGE asset to this forum and does a phenomenal job with guiding groups. That said, the poor guy can't control everything. Yeah, I don't blame anyone for that, poopie happens.

You essentially left yourself 1 full day of riding and are now miffed that it didn't go as you had planned. I assume you were one of the 3 machines that were hiding in the shade a little ways ahead of the pack as the rest of us were back in the 87* sun Jackal told us to go to the shade that there was a broken bolt. To bad better communications didn't happen as I had welding equipment with me. Most of my life I've had to be careful not to piss people off because I tend to take over a project, I was doing my best to not be the a-hole who pushes themselves uninvited into a project. Had I known the extent of the problem I would have at least offered, I was told a broken or lost A-arm bolt for an after market arm, I don't carry those. trying to cobble the machine back together so that that guy (who, btw, none of us knew either) could also have a decent experience? Its hard for others to interact with you when you're hiding from them. I went were the ride leader told me to go. Its certainly not expected, but I can assure you that had you been around the rest of the group as we were working on the machine, you might have gotten to know us a little better. Hand me a wrench. Offer up a dumb suggestion. Make a smartass comment from the peanut gallery. It really doesn't matter, but had you been there, I feel others would have had more of an opportunity to make sure you had a better experience. I can promise you that IF you were around during that time and IF you had even casually mentioned that this ride wasn't what you were expecting, I, along with many others would have went out of our way to make sure you had a good experience. Really wanted to see the Eternal Flame but were disappointed that you didn't get to? Mention that out loud and I would have made sure you got there. That's hard to do while I'm helping put another guy's machine back together and you're off hiding in the weeds. Wow dude, assume much, talk to Jackle about why I was where I was. I'm the new guy trying to follow directions, now this... wow.
Expand quotes

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
expand the quote
I was going to say something but, ☝️JB pretty much said everything I would've......minus a few cuss words.

Cunt🌲boi it sounds like you were expecting a full blown Honda sponsored event where they tell you the where, what, and who you'll be riding with. Actually this is exactly what it sounds like you were expecting, or did you not suggest the TO should have what these "bigger/more organized events" have, (way more volunteers, rescue teams, designated people to do A,B,C etc)? Sorry but as mentioned it's more of a....... "here's where some people are going and around what time, you're more then welcome to tag along" kinda event. This just sounds like you were misled by a cpl of people that either (a) were lost them selves, or (b) weren't really part of the TO and didn't want to deal with you. Can't blame all on the actions of a few. I would be willing to bet just about anything that @Hondasxs isn't putting this event together for the money. The man along with everyone else involved work their asses off to put this FREE gathering together so we can all BS and hang out with like minded people we meet through this forum. I was once a NEW GUY and can honestly tell you I've never felt left out for one sec. I wasn't able to attend this year and I'm sorry you and your wife feel like you had a bad time, but I think you had your expectations/mind set on a different type of event. By my accounts, A LOT of your complaints were base on YOUR expectations of what the event should've been. Nothing wrong with that, as long as you're willing and able to go with the flow if it doesn't pan out the way you thought it should've been. Like I've said, I wasn't able to attend this year but the many forum group rides I've attended, not one has ever left early....ever!! 😂 If anything we always run at least 30 minutes or more after the fact, it is what it is!!

🤔....well shít, I guess I ended up saying something anywheyz, at least I didn't cuss. 'cept for shít.....phuck!!!! I did it again 🙄
Expand this ☝️

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
You know, if you had put in 1/10th the effort introducing yourself, reaching out, asking questions, or showing up on time as you have put into whining, b****ing, and complaining in this thread, you would have had one HELL of a time at TO '23.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
This is getting out of hand, someone please shut this dumpster fire down! 😂
As your DEI Officer, I'll have none of that kind of talk. All opinions are welcome here. Remember, we have a diverse group of retards and I aim to keep it that way. His retarded experience is welcome here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!