BOX1

Toy Hauler P1K5 w/ half ton

XtremeF150

XtremeF150

Aug 27, 2016
Cumming GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys I'm sure some of you have done some mad research so I figured I would save some time and ask the audience. What toy haulers fit the P1K5 and are also reasonable towable behind a half ton pickup. I really prefer one with a separate garage but I know that adds length and weight so the kitchen/ garage combo is ok too. Thanks guys!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Plumber32
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Hey guys I'm sure some of you have done some mad research so I figured I would save some time and ask the audience. What toy haulers fit the P1K5 and are also reasonable towable behind a half ton pickup. I really prefer one with a separate garage but I know that adds length and weight so the kitchen/ garage combo is ok too. Thanks guys!

I prefer the separate garage too and it was very hard on my half ton so I switched to a 3/4 ton diesel, night and day!!!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
For 1/2 ton tow ability likely the work & play lineup will be your best bet. However ATC makes some killer light all aluminum trailers with separate garages but they will cost more than double of the previous type I mentioned.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
ATC shows a p1k in there unit.
1/2 ton towable and no wood.
(Been watching there site in case I win the lotto)

Your Website Title

2019 ATC Aluminum Toy Hauler 01

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

ATC makes awesome trailers but what you're wanting is a tall order for a half ton. Work n play are good options but ATC is far better built.

A lot of toy haulers dont have heavy enough axles and they are at the max loaded down with a sxs in back. Also you need to be aware of weight distribution as the sxs in back can really start whipping if too far back. A friend loaded his too far back and totalled his truck and trailer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Like mentioned below, this could be a tall task for a ½ ton truck, especially if you are driving long distances with hills/mountains and high breaking areas. As mentioned, above a ¾ ton truck will handle a large trailer, but more importantly is will “feel” more stable as well; that is, pulling the same load with a ½ vs. ¾ you really feel the added weight of a ¾ handling the load better and the trailer doesn’t push the truck around as much and the preferred diesel versions just run up/down hills with no problem and have great trailer brake options as well. Regardless of truck you ultimately use, a sizeable trailer needs to have good brakes (I’m talking about on both axles, not the cheap way some do it on one axle) and it needs to work flawlessly with the truck so you can Whoa that load when needed.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I'll Sell you this. If you have air bags and h.d. tires it will be no problem.
20180523 192750

XtremeF150

XtremeF150

Aug 27, 2016
Cumming GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hmmm all good points guys. I have pulled a 20' enclosed car hauler over the Rockies that weighed over 9K lbs. But I'm also doing it with an F150 3.5 Ecoboost. We all know that they rule the half ton towing, but the loading too far aft is a big concern because the ones I have been looking at have said 2000lb max in the cargo area. When I haul the sxs now it is always very important to load it right in that 20' enclosed or it will get the death wobbles in a hurry . So I'm almost thinking any purchase would have to be contingent on me loading the sxs and getting up to 65mph on the highway.

All said I think the truck can pull it around the area we live in (Georgia) . But the stability concerns me. Might have to look at trucks first

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I meant a TALON on 32's sometimes I forget theres another machine from Honda now.
Probably not the width inside ATC Toyhauler is 69" according to brochure from cabinet to wall. 1000R is 68.4" with skinny tires on front, going bigger even on OEM wheels, bet it won't fit, at least not properly for transport.

The Quest series ATC trailers ar 81" wide clearance though.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok sorry derailed the thread.

There are a few half ton towable toyhauler but they are EXPENSIVE and you usually need a very new truck with the max tow and HDPP to meet gvwr and payload (when adding passengers to your payload calculation)

Most early 2000’s SRW 2500-3500 trucks have a lower max payload than a HDPP truck does in 17-18 MY. Even the older DRW trucks sometimes have a lower tow rating than a 150/1500 these days.

You really need to look at what your truck is rated to tow, not always about power, stopping and stability is important.

I have been looking for a few years to find my Goldilocks answer for what I want, need, and am willing to pay for.

Look at PACE they will make you a toy hauler, they tend to be a little lighter and less expensive than a travel trailer. It’s not an “RV” but if you’re like my family we eat sleep and carry things in it. We can sit around play board games and watch tv at home.

I’m in the market for a slightly used Ford/Dodge 250 to 3500 (truck brand argument elsewhere) and have considered their 5th wheel and have them convert the deck to a sleeping area and add amenities, it’d be much lighter than a toyhauler and could on paper carry (2) (EDIT: 68” wide) 1000 class SxS and have sleeping quarters for a family of 5

Last edited:
C

Chooglin

I am pulling this with a f-150 5.0. With the sxs (p500) loaded up , I am towing right around 7500#. If the truck and trailer are setup properly , it should track down the road with no problem. Although the f-150 does a great job towing this , a 3/4 ton would do it even better.

My garage space is 129"x69" , so a Talon X will fit.
20180418 182545 20180418 182615

Last edited by a moderator:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I am pulling this with a f-150 5.0. With the sxs (p500) loaded up , I am towing right around 7500#. If the truck and trailer are setup properly , it should track down the road with no problem. Although the f-150 does a great job towing this , a 3/4 ton would do it even better.

My garage space is 129"x69" , so a Talon X will fit.
View attachment 102580 View attachment 102581
That’s about the max to very safely and comfortably pull behind a 1/2 ton. My original toy hauler was a bumper pull and weighed 7,000 and when I added all the gear and modified P5 I was at 9,500. I felt that load, and one time in rainy conditions the steering was a little sketchy I think because of the front end being light.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That’s about the max to very safely and comfortably pull behind a 1/2 ton. My original toy hauler was a bumper pull and weighed 7,000 and when I added all the gear and modified P5 I was at 9,500. I felt that load, and one time in rainy conditions the steering was a little sketchy I think because of the front end being light.
A weight distribution hitch fixes that right up. Tows a lot flatter too. If I used a half ton for anything over about 5 or 6k I’d run one

C

Chooglin

A big mistake that people make when trying to distribute the weight , they think all they need to do , is adjust the bars on the WDH. That's not always the proper way to do it. The hitch height has alot to do with the weight distribution.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
A weight distribution hitch fixes that right up. Tows a lot flatter too. If I used a half ton for anything over about 5 or 6k I’d run one
I had that. I found out quick that the 5th wheel is the best weight distribution available.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!