P1000 Unpopular opinion: stock suspension isn’t that bad

73datsun

Apr 13, 2019
minneapolis
Ownership

1. 1000-3
After reading all the threads about the dumpster fire that the stock suspension is, I was expecting to hate my first time out in it. We’ve had it for a year, but the first 60 miles of its life was plowing our driveway.

Did 75 miles of trails this weekend and found it to be perfectly acceptable. There was sand, rocks, whoops, mud, gravel, and iron ore dirt. Most of the trails were in the 25-35mph range.

It’s a basic 1000EPS with Deluxe wheels and tires at 14psi (probably should drop a bit). I’m sure the suspension can stand to be improved upon, but I’ve been quite happy with the utility and fun factor of this machine. So if you just bought a machine and are planning out all your mods, I’ll go a bit against the grain and say you don’t have to rush into Foxes.

19B2EC35 9818 44DB AA71 15298D029482

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No doubt these machines are fun stock. The Fox shocks make the machine more fun to go a little faster and they are more smooth over obstacles. In my experience the Elka Stage 4s give you an even better ride at low speed and are a lot better at speeds over 35 mph. With a 3 seater and no cargo trail riding is really fun. Adding bigger rear seat passengers has a tendency to really ruin ride quality no matter what you're doing for shocks

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
After reading all the threads about the dumpster fire that the stock suspension is, I was expecting to hate my first time out in it. We’ve had it for a year, but the first 60 miles of its life was plowing our driveway.

Did 75 miles of trails this weekend and found it to be perfectly acceptable. There was sand, rocks, whoops, mud, gravel, and iron ore dirt. Most of the trails were in the 25-35mph range.

It’s a basic 1000EPS with Deluxe wheels and tires at 14psi (probably should drop a bit). I’m sure the suspension can stand to be improved upon, but I’ve been quite happy with the utility and fun factor of this machine. So if you just bought a machine and are planning out all your mods, I’ll go a bit against the grain and say you don’t have to rush into Foxes.

View attachment 203853
Nice rig!
Cute co-pilot in tha back too 😆
My kids love riding too.
And I agree! Stock isn't that bad, im sure Fox or WEs make a big difference but stock aint bad. Not one of the top accessories I would rush towards either.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

View attachment 203853

For what they are, the Pioneer 1000 handles and rides pretty darn good stock.

R

rickoshea

it's not so much they're "bad".it's the lack of even basic adjustability.i bottom my fronts out constantly.i'd say the seats make the shocks seem worse than they are.i've noticed a big difference now that i'm using rzr bucket seats,instead of the bench,believe it or not.

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
After running a P500 for 2 years the the 1000 was like jumping into a Cadillac. Now after having the 1000 for almost 2 years my next upgrade will probably be shocks. But to answer your question, no the 1000 suspension isnt as bad as some would tell ya. It has served me fine, but I would like to improve it now.

73datsun

Apr 13, 2019
minneapolis
Ownership

1. 1000-3
it's not so much they're "bad".it's the lack of even basic adjustability.i bottom my fronts out constantly.i'd say the seats make the shocks seem worse than they are.i've noticed a big difference now that i'm using rzr bucket seats,instead of the bench,believe it or not.
I’d believe that, for sure. But I need the bench since my daughter and wife ride with me.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
The stock Pioneer suspension isn't bad, but a stock Ranger rides much better!
When I use my Pioneer around the farm I love it but when we go riding together with other machines and hot seat it you only realize how out dated and ruff riding are Honda's are.

Reactions: Isaiah
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I almost died in mine with 1 mile on it. I hit a little 6-8" dirt ledge where my pond dam ran across my field running about 30 mph and rode the front wheels at least 100 foot. Elka 5's after that lol.

advertisement
L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No doubt these machines are fun stock. The Fox shocks make the machine more fun to go a little faster and they are more smooth over obstacles. In my experience the Elka Stage 4s give you an even better ride at low speed and are a lot better at speeds over 35 mph. With a 3 seater and no cargo trail riding is really fun. Adding bigger rear seat passengers has a tendency to really ruin ride quality no matter what you're doing for shocks

Why stage 4 and not stage 5?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Isaiah
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I finally got my Rear Foxes on yesterday. So much smoother......

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Put me in the camp of okay with the base shocks.

I noticed a huge difference in ride going from the base model 12” tires to the Deluxe take off 14”s...the ride is definitely harsher on the 14”s.

Jun 21, 2018
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Having come from a Maverick and YXZ to the Pioneer, I think it rides like a s*** wagon but other than that I’m satisfied with it. I just need to nut up and release the coin on a good set of shocks.

G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Put me in the camp of okay with the base shocks.

I noticed a huge difference in ride going from the base model 12” tires to the Deluxe take off 14”s...the ride is definitely harsher on the 14”s.
That’s interesting,apparently more sidewall flex adds to the softness

View attachment 203853
the reason I upgraded my fronts only, was because when it is heavily loaded the fronts would bottom out

Dezrik

Dezrik

Follow me for adventure!
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2018
MOAB, Utahhhhhhhh
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think the stock suspension improves with miles. I'm at 3500 miles and don't mind the ride at all but I recently purchased some Bandit shocks. My pregnant wife said buy her some shocks so I did that night before she changed her mind

Jun 21, 2018
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think the stock suspension improves with miles. I'm at 3500 miles and don't mind the ride at all but I recently purchased some Bandit shocks. My pregnant wife said buy her some shocks so I did that night before she changed her mind
How do you like the Bandit shocks? How much of an improvement did you notice?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!