Weather Talk

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
We have what we call buffalo gnats but they are really black flies. Fly up nose and ears. Put a welp on you when they bite. A couple of days of temperatures 80+ and they die out. We have deer flies also those basters have teeth and bite before they lite on you.
Haha. They’ll chase you. :) Do you guys have those hats with the sticky paper down the back and neck. My brother uses them. Lots of flies stuck to it.
We have Muskol. Insect repellent. It was invented by a guy from Nova Scotia originally. God knows where it’s made now. Still Canada somewhere. It’s the best I’ve used.
Caper

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Bumblebees and wood bees look very similar here. Back when I bushhogged a bunch I think it was yellowjackets in the ground and they would chase you down. Some say the heat and vibration from the tractor would attract them. I always thought it was the bushhog blade hitting them on the head and making them mad.

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Bumblebees and wood bees look very similar here. Back when I bushhogged a bunch I think it was yellowjackets in the ground and they would chase you down. Some say the heat and vibration from the tractor would attract them. I always thought it was the bushhog blade hitting them on the head and making them mad.
Haha, yeah that would do it. :)
When my brother and I were cutting trails years ago, I cut a log with the chainsaw, and he bent down to throw the pieces, and in a second he was flipping around on the ground. I thought, what the heck are you, bang bang, I got hit twice. Small yellow jacket like wasps. I dropped the saw and ran. Haha. When my brother finally got up and ran, he was hit five times. Haha. His both eye lids, lips and one ear. That night he looked like elephant man. His eyes were almost swollen shut and it looked like I punched him in the lip. Plus his ear was twice as big. He was ok, he didn’t go to the hospital. Next day we were back cutting. Haha :) :D
Too funny. He was good once he had a few beers. Haha
Caper

Reactions: Mudwing
Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My first cousin was clearing a gas right of way on a bushhog and diesel tractor for United Gas and Pipeline about 40 years ago and hit a nest. He was stung 27 times above the shoulders. He said the last thing he remembered after jumping was the tractor being covered with yellow jackets. They rushed him to the hospital and he got to spend the night.

Reactions: Mudwing and Caper
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
My first cousin was clearing a gas right of way on a bushhog and diesel tractor for United Gas and Pipeline about 40 years ago and hit a nest. He was stung 27 times above the shoulders. He said the last thing he remembered after jumping was the tractor being covered with yellow jackets. They rushed him to the hospital and he got to spend the night.
Holy crap. 27 times. He’s lucky he didn’t die. When they are like that, you can’t even see them. It’s amazing how they go right after your face.
Before my camp was renovated, we could hear the wasps in the wall, getting through the holes in the old shingles . Me and a buddy went down, and after a few pops, went out with a can of Lysol and a bic lighter. Kick the wall and they would come out like you were dumping them out of a jar. Piles of them. Till a few got past . I cut it open in the fall, a nest went across three studs and four feet high. We had a fire going and just shoveled them in . Two nests like that. Crazy.
It’s incredible we didn’t burn the camp down. :)
Caper

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Holy crap. 27 times. He’s lucky he didn’t die. When they are like that, you can’t even see them. It’s amazing how they go right after your face.
Before my camp was renovated, we could hear the wasps in the wall, getting through the holes in the old shingles . Me and a buddy went down, and after a few pops, went out with a can of Lysol and a bic lighter. Kick the wall and they would come out like you were dumping them out of a jar. Piles of them. Till a few got past . I cut it open in the fall, a nest went across three studs and four feet high. We had a fire going and just shoveled them in . Two nests like that. Crazy.
It’s incredible we didn’t burn the camp down. :)
Caper
That is a bunch of wasp! My grandfather always used fire, the fire would burn their wings off then you could step on them. Those big orange wasp here seem to be the worst,they are very aggressive.

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
That is a bunch of wasp! My grandfather always used fire, the fire would burn their wings off then you could step on them. Those big orange wasp here seem to be the worst,they are very aggressive.
We have a big black wasp. The nests are huge. Up here they say , we can tell how much snow were going to get, from how high they make their nests off the ground. There was one a few years ago by where I hunt not far from my camp. 6 feet off the ground. Bigger than a basketball. I have a picture somewhere, I’ll find it tomorrow. The hole in the bottom was as big as a golf ball. They can’t survive the winter, so lots of people have the nests for a trophy. I was going to do the same thing. I went down in the early winter to put it in a bag. A bear got it first. Ripped it apart. Probably full of yummy things. :)
That winter was bad in CB.
Caper

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
7F7AABDB CA0A 47D6 B519 4560A0E9624D
C9CEF9C6 2E4E 458D BAC4 EF0B840D006B
We have a big black wasp. The nests are huge. Up here they say , we can tell how much snow were going to get, from how high they make their nests off the ground. There was one a few years ago by where I hunt not far from my camp. 6 feet off the ground. Bigger than a basketball. I have a picture somewhere, I’ll find it tomorrow. The hole in the bottom was as big as a golf ball. They can’t survive the winter, so lots of people have the nests for a trophy. I was going to do the same thing. I went down in the early winter to put it in a bag. A bear got it first. Ripped it apart. Probably full of yummy things. :)
That winter was bad in CB.
Caper
Found it. :)
They’ll put a hurting on you. :)
Caper

advertisement
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
supposed to be nice this week finally here too

hate those ground bees, they come after you when you are mowing or walking, always burn up the nest I find one.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Last summer, I had a bigger than basketball size (at least 12” diameter)bald faced hornets nest in the soffit of my house. They are a very aggressive wasp and will attack even if you’re 50’ from the nest if they feel threatened, so I had to get rid of it myself(I’m not about to pay someone to do it). I sprayed the opening at night with wasp spray. After five nights and five cans of spray the activity went down. I ripped opened the hive and found the queen still working! You want to get the queen because she can start a new hive somewhere else.
C42FA1AC 6CCF 48DC A183 02700C624E79
0774630B B5A3 4A2A B018 334143EB0E22
31FCBBBA DDB4 4B36 B4AE C32D6EBAF746

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
It’s 25 degrees this morning. Going up to 45. Sunny though. Should be a nice day. :)
Caper
Froze my ass off on the dozer all day yesterday, though it was 50*, a cold wind coming down the mountains off the snow was chilly. I’m wearing my thinsulate coveralls today!!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Last summer, I had a bigger than basketball size (at least 12” diameter)bald faced hornets nest in the soffit of my house. They are a very aggressive wasp and will attack even if you’re 50’ from the nest if they feel threatened, so I had to get rid of it myself(I’m not about to pay someone to do it). I sprayed the opening at night with wasp spray. After five nights and five cans of spray the activity went down. I ripped opened the hive and found the queen still working! You want to get the queen because she can start a new hive somewhere else. View attachment 119732View attachment 119733 View attachment 119734
Dude!!!!! You’ve got a bad ass house, love the corbels and dental molding!!!

Reactions: Caper and Mudwing
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
50s going to feel like summer with the crap weve had, probably just tee shirt when its that warm
As long as the sun is shinning and there’s no wind, same here. But when there’s 40-50 mph winds coming down the snow covered mountains it’s a whole other deal....

advertisement