Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
We should get an inch of two down this way too. Where you are at it going to be moving fast. Maybe some wind too.
Well how'd you fare? The storm dissipated before it got here and we just had light rain all night until 9:00 AM

Reactions: Rayger143 and Caper
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Great for cattle. I don’t cut.
Boy, you left that wide open. A deceased cattle rancher I knew never cut, never over grazed, had grass for the winter and supplemented with 16% range cubes in the cold parts of winter. His cattle were healthy. If you have the land paid for, would it be more profitable to run less cattle than buy all the equipment to bale hay or hire it done or buy hay?

Reactions: Caper
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I posted it for you Smitty. Looks most of that energy is going stay to west of Arkansas.
The high Saturday was 79, the high today is 75, really enjoying the temps.

• Love
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Boy, you left that wide open. A deceased cattle rancher I knew never cut, never over grazed, had grass for the winter and supplemented with 16% range cubes in the cold parts of winter. His cattle were healthy. If you have the land paid for, would it be more profitable to run less cattle than buy all the equipment to bale hay or hire it done or buy hay?
Here they try and cut twice.
Usually. Most winters the snow can be deep.
My friend in Alberta let’s cattle graze on what’s left of the alfalfa over the winter. This year everything is green too. This is his property, I’ve only seen it in winter.
Caper
6ACA5902 D3FA 4F29 9EEF B4732D336FE8

Reactions: Rayger143
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Well, to begin with I’m not a cattleman, I do cattle because I enjoy messing with them and like Blue Bell ice cream does, we eat all we can and sell the rest….🤣

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Here they try and cut twice.
Usually. Most winters the snow can be deep.
My friend in Alberta let’s cattle graze on what’s left of the alfalfa over the winter. This year everything is green too. This is his property, I’ve only seen it in winter.
Caper View attachment 283060
The actual cattlemen around my ranch that have a business at it often get three cuttings, and for sure will this year….

• Love
L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
I posted about that last week. The #PackCreekFire is no longer a threat to the Rimrocker and the detour is no longer needed…..

You better keep an eye on that thread or you may miss the rapture….🤔🤣
Hmmm... long time without rapture...not sure I can handle that.

• Haha
Reactions: Montecresto
L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well, to begin with I’m not a cattleman, I do cattle because I enjoy messing with them and like Blue Bell ice cream does, we eat all we can and sell the rest….🤣
Yeah...hogs and angus. I think we gave away a lot of meat to soup kitchens for tax write-off. #1 son and I shot a lot of deer on crop permits and gave it to the "needy" folks...30 to 50 a year I think for a number of years. Single shot .44 Mag with a suppressor...very quiet or with a bow also very quiet. We gutted them and took them to a butcher for processing. Wish I could get rid of some turkeys and deer now and the turkeys just hatched a bunch more. Elk are fine except when they feed on the runway.

advertisement
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
The actual cattlemen around my ranch that have a business at it often get three cuttings, and for sure will this year….
Do your cattle ever do this. It was -25 with the wind blowing the snow straight across the field. They looked cold, except for the ones in the Center. And yes I went out and sat in my blind after that. And no, I didn’t shoot anything, too damn cold to take my hands out of my gloves. My buddy John did, and wished he didn’t when he was freezing cold in a few minutes. It’s ok when your hands are inside, but when you have to take your hands out, it’s just like wet hands in -25. Haha
Caper
14743401 6C5C 474C BAD7 61180D1889C2

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah...hogs and angus. I think we gave away a lot of meat to soup kitchens for tax write-off. #1 son and I shot a lot of deer on crop permits and gave it to the "needy" folks...30 to 50 a year I think for a number of years. Single shot .44 Mag with a suppressor...very quiet or with a bow also very quiet. We gutted them and took them to a butcher for processing. Wish I could get rid of some turkeys and deer now and the turkeys just hatched a bunch more. Elk are fine except when they feed on the runway.
Did you get number 1 son to do all the cleaning. We had one of the guys son with us years ago, he was 16 then. He got a little buck. I asked Alex if he’d ever cleaned a deer before. He said no. As I took my knife out, I said do you want to learn as I passed him my knife. And I said don’t touch yourself with the blade, you will cut yourself. He cleaned most of the deer for years to come. I cleaned my own. Usually 15 minutes start to finish. And only blood on the blue gloves. I laughed at one of the guys, Blood past his elbows. So he came over and watch me clean my 12 pointer. At least 250 lbs. He walked away mad when I only had blood on my blue gloves. Heart and throat too. Haha.
Now do I sound like one of those people that rub it in . I love teaching young guys the right way to clean a deer.
My buddy gets mad at me because the next one I shoot, has to be bigger than the last one. Most times I take 2 shells. Mostly in case a Griz looks at me sideways. Probably wouldn’t do much good if he found me sleeping like usual. Haha
Caper

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Did you get number 1 son to do all the cleaning. We had one of the guys son with us years ago, he was 16 then. He got a little buck. I asked Alex if he’d ever cleaned a deer before. He said no. As I took my knife out, I said do you want to learn as I passed him my knife. And I said don’t touch yourself with the blade, you will cut yourself. He cleaned most of the deer for years to come. I cleaned my own. Usually 15 minutes start to finish. And only blood on the blue gloves. I laughed at one of the guys, Blood past his elbows. So he came over and watch me clean my 12 pointer. At least 250 lbs. He walked away mad when I only had blood on my blue gloves. Heart and throat too. Haha.
Now do I sound like one of those people that rub it in . I love teaching young guys the right way to clean a deer.
My buddy gets mad at me because the next one I shoot, has to be bigger than the last one. Most times I take 2 shells. Mostly in case a Griz looks at me sideways. Probably wouldn’t do much good if he found me sleeping like usual. Haha
Caper
Mostly doe. We have those "unzippers" I call em...unzip the belly/chest skin, cut and pull and things fall out. Most were 60 to 100 on the hoof so not hard to do.

Reactions: Caper and Rayger143
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Very cool…..😎

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Do your cattle ever do this. It was -25 with the wind blowing the snow straight across the field. They looked cold, except for the ones in the Center. And yes I went out and sat in my blind after that. And no, I didn’t shoot anything, too damn cold to take my hands out of my gloves. My buddy John did, and wished he didn’t when he was freezing cold in a few minutes. It’s ok when your hands are inside, but when you have to take your hands out, it’s just like wet hands in -25. Haha
Caper View attachment 283075
Yeah, my cattle kind of did that….
2C4BCFE1 89F9 45DC 9E82 5F7D9679B274

Here’s a group of them that were damn sure suffering this winter….

• Haha
Reactions: Caper and Rayger143
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
No, that wasn’t funny Cap….🤷‍♂️

• Love
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
At least your not sitting in a blind behind them in the field .
I think the other picture was -40 windchill.
How cold does it get in Oak.
Caper
Well, this was a most unusual winter for Ok compared with the last 60 years trend. It was such a bad week (early February) that I stayed at the ranch you may remember, feeding the cattle three times a day besides keeping them hay out, breaking ice on the ponds twice a day so they could drink, cutting firewood daily, and with no running water in the house…..😉

advertisement