P1000 What are my options - slightly bent tie-rod

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After cleaning the Beast up from the weekend I discovered a bent tie rod. I'm not suprrised as my wife and I were riding it pretty hard around some square edge rocks/ledges. Not bent too bad so I am wondering if I could (a) easy route - run bad joint out enough to comp (b) straighten in press (c) replace

File May 03 9 05 17 AM

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Order a new set but keep going on the rocks intel it's bent to bad you cant ride it no more. That,s what happens when you ride on rocks that are to big and I notice you don't have A arm guards need to get some if your going to rock ride. "good luck".

Reactions: pct and sharp
J

Jshell3

After cleaning the Beast up from the weekend I discovered a bent tie rod. I'm not suprrised as my wife and I were riding it pretty hard around some square edge rocks/ledges. Not bent too bad so I am wondering if I could (a) easy route - run bad joint out enough to comp (b) straighten in press (c) replace

View attachment 42605
If it breaks it might take out an axle, brake line and/or ball joints.
Having met SnuffnWhisky, I'd pretty much take his opinion in the highest regard.

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
would this tool ( inner tie rod removal ) be worth the $40 at harbor freight? Ness?

Image 21440

Reactions: sharp
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
It unscrews from the rack. On the spindle end, get someone to pry up on the tie rod and smack the knuckle with a hammer on both sides at the same time - 2 hammers. 1 might get it. Hit the knuckle on each side where the tie rod bolts down. A tie rod removal fork almost always ruins the boot.

W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I keep a spare one. It was like 20 dollars and if you try and bend that one back it's going to make it that much easier to break.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Go by Autozone or one of the other parts houses. Borrow/rent the tool.
Buy a new arm, or two. Keep the old one or a new one for a spare. (I realize that I don't have a spare. Shame on me.)

Also, replace the boot. It's just easier.

Reactions: sharp
txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a banding tool I bought for CV boots - I assume i could use this on the rack boot? OR does some one have a part number for a airbox type clamp that will work?

pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Replace it and keep the old one for a spare that happens often with the guys I ride with lucky I have not done one yet on the 1000

Reactions: Chadp2003 and sharp
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a banding tool I bought for CV boots - I assume i could use this on the rack boot? OR does some one have a part number for a airbox type clamp that will work?
I just reused the stock band. Used side cutters to re crimp.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

View attachment 42605
Just turn it 180 and it will be perfect next hard hit, HA! Talk about a red neck fix

Reactions: sharp and nbomar
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Reactions: Windrock1000

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!