swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'm willing to bet the Honda passenger cars with DCT are not up to the window sills in Muskeg...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Some of these units are being abused like only Honda engineers could dream in a nightmare.
Absolutely true and being driven by people who only understand ,twist throttle and go like on a belt machine.....and a lot of time can't tell shuttering or just giving it hell till it smokes or quits.Some clutch issues are Hondas fault for not giving a mudd model or a sport model to these individuals........Now with that being said Honda better get a fool proof clutch or these folks and my self will not be buying one

Reactions: jawquin
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
And from what I've seen and read most who smoked their clutches could break a lead block. A hahahaha and you guys keep putting them on their roof..... what the heck are you doing wrong you have to say yourself

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone heard of someone running 30s that HASNT had clutch problems?
Yeah me. 2105 miles as I pulled into parking lot at work this morning. Tues before last I drug a dead/non-pulling 900 Ranger up about 2 miles of loose, rocky, and steep hill. Averaged around 9mph so you know I had it hammered. Cameraman had trouble keeping up with me.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Do you have a second battery for the winch, or were you draining the main battery winching?

If the main battery drops below 12v (which can be done in seconds with a 4500lb winch) the clutch Solenoid cuts out making it easier to kill the clutches. Once the battery charges back the clutch solenoid engages again.

I have my accessories isolated from the main battery and a voltmeter to watch both batteries.

P1000m5 - The Mistress

View attachment 46540
We we're using a different rigs winch. The only strain on the battery was just the engine running

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
This is kind of why I can't believe people saying it's 100% operator error. If some people aren't having problems when some are it means 2 things
1. They are Jesus of the pioneers and are perfect in every way and NEVER make any "mistakes" when babying the clutch
2. Their rig is somehow better. I don't know how, but it somehow is. The clutches are stronger, the oil is cooler, idk.

People aren't perfect. I believe 2 is more realistic.

My clutches failed 2 times with less than 500 miles on rig, and around 150 miles within each other. I've only been stuck two times. We winched out both times, I don't have a winch on my rig. Always with a different machines winch.

So when people in this forum say s*** like "Yeah Honda's fault" sarcastically and imply I ruined my clutches, seems odd when I was going out of my way to try and save them second time around, trying not to feather the clutches. But then you, and others, never have problems.

So which is it. Are you pioneer Jesus, or is your machine somehow better than some of ours?

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm willing to bet the Honda passenger cars with DCT are not up to the window sills in Muskeg...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Some of these units are being abused like only Honda engineers could dream in a nightmare.
I bought a utv capable of off-road use, not a minivan. That's a really invalid argument

Reactions: 0860silverado
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
This is kind of why I can't believe people saying it's 100% operator error. If some people aren't having problems when some are it means 2 things
1. They are Jesus of the pioneers and are perfect in every way and NEVER make any "mistakes" when babying the clutch
2. Their rig is somehow better. I don't know how, but it somehow is. The clutches are stronger, the oil is cooler, idk.

My clutches failed 2 times with less than 500 miles on rig, and around 150 miles within each other. I've only been stuck two times. We winched out both times, I don't have a winch on my rig. Always with a different machines winch.

So when people in this forum say s*** like "Yeah Honda's fault" sarcastically and imply I ruined my clutches, seems odd when I was going out of my way to try and save them second time around, trying not to feather the clutches. But then you, and others, never have problems.

So which is it. Are you pioneer Jesus, or is your machine somehow better than some of ours?

I believe it's faulty machines and there are some that are driver error. I can't say if your problem is driver error or not. Also, I wont make accusations or assumptions.

A problem I have with the driver error instances are: 1, we should had a parking brake and 2, we need lower reverse, 3, stay out of the engagement zone. I believe those 3 things could have been better built or designed but it still falls under driver error because the manual says we must drive it a specific way. I don't like having so many rules on my off road rig.

There was one time I got stuck and when I floored the throttle, the engine would die because the tires were stuck. That happened 3 times so I found out the clutch is stronger than the engine.

@CPope and family took video but lost it. He can at least testify for me.

CP: I've been saying that since that jack wagon was picking Legos from his turds:)

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I'm not going to say wether or not your damage was self inflicted or not. I would guess he mud where you are is probably a lot more clay based than where joey is. I have said multiple time to different people that I think some of these rigs are stronger than others. I've backed up the side of "mountains" granted these are the ozarks so some would say they are hills, but either way, this was before I heard about all the issues. Being I had the very first 1000 my dealer got, I've had it for awhile. We got it right before hunting season so it got used going slow through tight trails and hauling people and animals up and down hills. Now that I know more about the limits of the machine I'm more careful, but I've still crept up rock ledges and other things with no issues whatsoever. I'd say their tolerances on something internal in the trans have some big variances. Some machines just go through clutches and some don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm not going to say wether or not your damage was self inflicted or not. I would guess he mud where you are is probably a lot more clay based than where joey is. I have said multiple time to different people that I think some of these rigs are stronger than others. I've backed up the side of "mountains" granted these are the ozarks so some would say they are hills, but either way, this was before I heard about all the issues. Being I had the very first 1000 my dealer got, I've had it for awhile. We got it right before hunting season so it got used going slow through tight trails and hauling people and animals up and down hills. Now that I know more about the limits of the machine I'm more careful, but I've still crept up rock ledges and other things with no issues whatsoever. I'd say their tolerances on something internal in the trans have some big variances. Some machines just go through clutches and some don't.

I agree, and that's what I've been saying and people keep shutting me down. Some of these rigs ARE doing better than others.

Had I known the machine couldn't handle bigger tires, and crawling over things, Couldn't handle anything to do with muskeg ( Muskeg is really just water, and under the water is regular mud and crap loads of dead grass. We do have peanut butter mud that's basically pure clay, but I wasn't in it ) I mean there's so many rules that these other utvs don't have. I really wish this just had a cvt. Personal opinion, and certainly not the popular one.

Anyways, this post isn't to talk crap. I'm just saying I think it's a fantastic machine for someone who wants to motor around hard pack, maybe crawl around on some rocks, camp with the family, tow stuff around the farm and occasionally go through some minor mud( you states guys have different stuff, take what I say with salt). Does awesome in snow. But the things it can't do are simply the things I do. It just can't handle the places I go. It's not that the places we go are super hard and bad, it's just not designed to handle the things we are doing. It's the design of the transmission. The gearing. The way the clutches work. I just don't think it's the tool for my job

I think I'm gonna leave it at Honda and have them sell it. I have boot camp and tech school in a few months anyways. When I get back in 2018 new stuff will be out. Maybe something cool will happen. Maybe Honda will release a sport utv. Or fix the current problems people are having with the pioneers.

And idk if this matters, I was in sport mode while stuck.

I'll report in whatever the mechanic tells me, though I think all he will say is I burnt them to crap like he did last time.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I don't like having so many rules on my off road rig.

There was one time I got stuck and when I floored the throttle, the engine would die because the tires were stuck. That happened 3 times so I found out the clutch is stronger than the engine.

@CPope and family took video but lost it. He can at least testify for me.

CP: I've been saying that since that jack wagon was picking Legos from his turds:)

I have video of this happening, though my tires couldn't hook up yesterday so that didn't happen this time

I agree. An off-road rig shouldn't have so many rules required. I've said that a lot. That's kind of why I'm now favoring cvt. It just works.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have video of this happening, though my tires couldn't hook up yesterday so that didn't happen this time

I agree. An off-road rig shouldn't have so many rules required. I've said that a lot. That's kind of why I'm now favoring cvt. It just works.

Did you say it started working again after getting out of the mud? I know @JTW had his do this the other day also. The clutches glazed over and after some driving they cleared themselves up.

Reactions: JTW
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Did you say it started working again after getting out of the mud? I know @JTW had his do this the other day also. The clutches glazed over and after some driving they cleared themselves up.

I remember hearing about that.

These things are pretty bad. About 4k before enguagement.

It's so weird the whole clutch pack can go from totally good to totally screwed in about 6 seconds.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I remember hearing about that.

These things are pretty bad. About 4k before enguagement.

It's so weird the whole clutch pack can go from totally good to totally screwed in about 6 seconds.

I remember when we were talking about the plumbing of your heater into the coolant system. Im not saying that this is the cause of your second set of clutches, but since you strayed from the exact way the oem honda heater is plumbed in, it possibly could have contributed. I know you "T'ed" into the oil cooler line, and honda does it by running their heater in line with the oil cooler hose. I tried to comunicate that to you at the time that you were doing your install, but intentions are often mistaken on hear. Sorry to hear about your bad luck or bad machine.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Boomboom907
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I remember when we were talking about the plumbing of your heater into the coolant system. Im not saying that this is the cause of your second set of clutches, but since you strayed from the exact way the oem honda heater is plumbed in, it possibly could have contributed. I know you "T'ed" into the oil cooler line, and honda does it by running their heater in line with the oil cooler hose. I tried to comunicate that to you at the time that you were doing your install, but intentions are often mistaken on hear. Sorry to hear about your bad luck or bad machine.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk
Valve has been closed since install anyways. I don't think it did anything

Reactions: popeye
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
In a skeg. These machines simply aren't designed to work in muskeg. Simple as that.

I have 30 intimidators
Hilifter a arms
2.5 inch lift.

I did t into my oil cooler for a heater. I'm not sure if that had anything to do this time, but either way I'm taking it out, gonna just throw a coupler where the t is and revert to stock.

I'm pretty unhappy. In my opinion I didn't ride it hard enough today to damage anything. We winched out and slowly turned the tires till they grabbed. Once the tires grabbed we slowly crept out using the winch.

In that muskeg, does anyone have any luck with tracks? Or do they not stay on top of it? I know that would also kill maneuverability.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
In the picture it looked like there was a way around it. :) I am no fun I would have went around it and finished enjoying my day and ride.

Reactions: swsebek and popeye
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Driver error? Faulty design? Manufacturing problem? Yes, yes, and yes. Trying to figure out what's exactly wrong is impossible. Nobody on the planet can actually say THIS is what's going on with these clutches. Circumstances vary wildly. How can anyone pinpoint with all that going on? I do think they can be better and hopefully an improved version comes along soon.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
In that muskeg, does anyone have any luck with tracks? Or do they not stay on top of it? I know that would also kill maneuverability.
Argos and such do amazing. Utvs I'm not sure. The 6k pricetag is the only thing that kept me from trying.

I don't need a skeg killing beast, but I do need something that can get me out when I fall in. I don't intentionally try and get stuck. It's like a minefield

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
In the picture it looked like there was a way around it. :) I am no fun I would have went around it and finished enjoying my day and ride.
No there's no way around it. Basically the Skeg is a flat swampy area and there's not really a mud hole. So where it looks like I went through a super deep spot it's only because I kept going and going and going and digging deeper and deeper and deeper. It didn't look anywhere even close to that bad it just gets worse as you destroy it. It's a lot like a waterbed, as long as you can stay on top without popping the waterbed you'll go anywhere you want. However if you spin your tires too aggressively or somehow windup tearing through it's a pain in the ass to get back on top of it.

On top of all of that there are tears in the muskeg they look like little tiny streams. Sometimes you can't even see him because they're under tall grass. If you hit one of those your tires are more than likely going to go under and now you're stuck and ripping into the skeg

Think of your tires like skill saws. If you can get the saw to spin really slowly it'll travel down your board rather than just cutting. So there lies the problem with the Honda. If you crawl you burn your clutches but you stay on top, if you make good by your clutches and spin your tires, you dig straight down to Hell

I'll actually upload a video of me dancing on the Scag in just a few minutes

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!