Clutches are dead yet again

Kaptain

Kaptain

Jun 8, 2017
Marsing, Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't do a lot of deep mudding or slow rock crawling. Mostly just cruising trails in the desert and the mountains. Hopefully I won't have the clutch issues. Just the same, I think any off-road machine you spend this much money on should be capable of serious off-roading. We all seem to agree that reverse should be lower geared, but it seems like low should be much lower geared as well, and that might help with some of these issues.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I don't do a lot of deep mudding or slow rock crawling. Mostly just cruising trails in the desert and the mountains. Hopefully I won't have the clutch issues. Just the same, I think any off-road machine you spend this much money on should be capable of serious off-roading. We all seem to agree that reverse should be lower geared, but it seems like low should be much lower geared as well, and that might help with some of these issues.
I agree with everything you said

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
https://goo.gl/photos/sT7b8BHnRshViW3M6

So here it is. Standing on top it's nice and secure. But break through and it's literally going to be 10-15 feet deep. That's the muskeg. Pretty neato

Forgot to mention how we got me out.

We literally took a machete and made an incision in the Skeg in front of my driver side front tire. Then we shoved a tree under the a arms to sort of make a ramp.

What was happening was my driver side tire was UNDER the Skeg, and my passenger tire was over. So Everytime we dragged me forward a few feet, my rig kept twisting and twisting.

Anyways. Yeah. We used machete to cut the mud to get me out of a swamp. Alaska.
Wow. That is just like what we have in the Okefenokee Swamp. The name actually means Land of the trembling earth. Dammit man I would stay the hell out of that for sure. I guess if that is where you need to go and what you have to go through to get there than you need to re- think your choice of machines for sure. Good luck.

Reactions: elkaholic
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Looking at that video as seeing you are essentially trying to drive across a floating sod mat. Is it possible the P1K is just too heavy among other things for that type of terrain. What I am really getting at is there are several members in AK with P500's, I have not read (nor researched) where they are having issues getting across that stuff. This is of course clutch issues aside.

From being there have you seen how the P500 do, as they weigh about 40% less than a P1K5. Or do they steer clear of the muskeg?

C

claay

Aug 6, 2017
timmins
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Within 150 miles from each other, two clutch packs have failed. Pretty disappointed. Off to the shop yet again.

I don't know what I'm going to do yet. I think I'm gonna consignment sale the pig and just take the loss. Every time I go out something breaks

I bought mine in april this year I'm running 29.5 and I also have to bring it back in to replace the clutch again not even 50mile apart ant it took over a month to get the machine back 274 miles on it know 200 of that was stock tiers. I was thinking of sending the parts to get a 25% gear reduction and see if that would eliminate the problem It would be nice to get some feed back if any one got it dun I have a month to wait again

Reactions: pct
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I bought mine in april this year I'm running 29.5 and I also have to bring it back in to replace the clutch again not even 50mile apart ant it took over a month to get the machine back 274 miles on it know 200 of that was stock tiers. I was thinking of sending the parts to get a 25% gear reduction and see if that would eliminate the problem It would be nice to get some feed back if any one got it dun I have a month to wait again
First Welcome! What kind of terrain are you ridding and how fast? I had a clutch failure early, nobody told not to try backing up really slow and that high was for dirt roads. Low is for trail ridding. There is a member on here that's having mutiable clutch failures, he a smart cookie and he will figure it out, so you might watch for Cummins Pusher threads In Burnt out clutches. They replaced my clutches and chamfered the oil relief valves, haven't had an issue since. I haven't heard of any body else that had the oil relief valve chamfered?????????????

Reactions: Cuoutdoors and pct
ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I was at a local dealer Saturday looking at some rides. I mentioned the clutch issue to the salesman and he looked shocked. Eithet that or the gig is up ad word it out

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I was at a local dealer Saturday looking at some rides. I mentioned the clutch issue to the salesman and he looked shocked. Eithet that or the gig is up ad word it out
I think the salesmen do a lot of damage to the clutches, I see them starting them and immediately put them into gear and hammer them to move them to display areas, they don't let the transmissions come up to operating temp.

Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
When I was buying my LE and the finance lady was trying to sell the extended warranty, she started around $1100 and I told her that I'd read online people were buying it for about 1/2 that just a few months ago. She came down to just under $900 but said that about a month ago, Honda increased the cost of the extended warranty. I made a comment that it must be due to the clutches that are failing - she just had this blank look on her face and said "You're the first person in here since the price has gone up that's put that together correctly."

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
When I was buying my LE and the finance lady was trying to sell the extended warranty, she started around $1100 and I told her that I'd read online people were buying it for about 1/2 that just a few months ago. She came down to just under $900 but said that about a month ago, Honda increased the cost of the extended warranty. I made a comment that it must be due to the clutches that are failing - she just had this blank look on her face and said "You're the first person in here since the price has gone up that's put that together correctly."
My brother used to sell Polaris's and has a RZR 1000. He told me that Polaris sent a $ 1,000. dollar voucher to existing Polaris owners this summer and will be sending another for an additional $ 4,000 this fall. $ 5,000. dollars worth of vouchers, reason for this is Polaris was losing customers to other brands, due to poor quality control. My brother is going to buy a RZR Turbo 1,000 for $ 17,000. when he get's his other voucher. I wonder if Honda knows there will be a back lash, if they don't start taking care of there customers.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
There us a HUGE difference in muddy water, watery mud, and that muskeg. With the muskeg you have all the plant material in the mud, think kevlar reinforced peanut butter mud. Once a machine breaks through the surface muskeg can grab and pull far more on the drivetrain than just good ole thick mud. It's a heck of a situation, the OP says several other machines churn through it fine. I am a firm believer there are some P1K's are just going to have repeated issues, the OP machine is likely one of them. Probably the best route on this one is to get it fixed and find it another home.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2

My dealer knows and confirms the heat issue and the clutch issue... They have only seen about 5 units they had to replace the clutches on, but they take pictures and send to the Honda folks. They say a fix is coming. They say the fix could either be the clutch itself or a computer re-program or both. He said they may make the computer "not let you" run in HIGH when you should be in LOW range.
I know there are clutch problems, but I also think he may be right in the fact that at least a few of the clutch problems come from some inexperienced folks running in HIGH when they should be in LOW range.
I'm a P700 guy so I can NOT speak from experience...

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My dealer knows and confirms the heat issue and the clutch issue... They have only seen about 5 units they had to replace the clutches on, but they take pictures and send to the Honda folks. They say a fix is coming. They say the fix could either be the clutch itself or a computer re-program or both. He said they may make the computer "not let you" run in HIGH when you should be in LOW range.
I know there are clutch problems, but I also think he may be right in the fact that at least a few of the clutch problems come from some inexperienced folks running in HIGH when they should be in LOW range.
I'm a P700 guy so I can NOT speak from experience...
I hardly ever run in high range. The salesmen are stupid poops.

D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hardly ever run in high range. The salesmen are stupid poops.

I run mine exactly like I run my Polaris with a belt drive... Under 10mph or heavy load use low range. High for everything else. Haven't had any issues yet. And whenever I let someone else drive it I tell them to run it that way. I'm not going to treat this thing like it's a fragile snowflake. If it breaks from "normal" day to day use then it ain't the machine for me. So far so good though.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I run mine exactly like I run my Polaris with a belt drive... Under 10mph or heavy load use low range. High for everything else. Haven't had any issues yet. And whenever I let someone else drive it I tell them to run it that way. I'm not going to treat this thing like it's a fragile snowflake. If it breaks from "normal" day to day use then it ain't the machine for me. So far so good though.

Im with ya. I run in low if im under 10-15mph. I have also found if I just click it into sport mode that seems to be a good alternative with driving in high gear for trail riding or variable speeds. It changes the shift points, probably to a point they ought to be all the time. I had some friends in town over the weekend and gave it a pretty hard ride. I have 850 miles on it and no real issues. I can't say i'm not nervous though.....

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Could it be this forum will become multi brand?
I truely love the 1000 platform but it's already made me lose some loyalty never thought I'd go back to belt. 3600 miles between two 1000's, one good one not even close, so it's not all driving style like some people think unfortunately

Last edited:
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

This is how I drive mine also. I only use low during crawling sections or if I’m with a group who doesn’t keep speed... high range won’t get moving on a really steep hill. It will bog then kill the engine...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pmward

pmward

Jul 28, 2016
Galena, Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is how I drive mine also. I only use low during crawling sections or if I’m with a group who doesn’t keep speed... high range won’t get moving on a really steep hill. It will bog then kill the engine...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
who doesn’t keep speed Hey, Nick, are you talking about me again?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!